The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 240

User Info Menu

Yeah baby!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hmmm, what's wrong with a guitar that plays much easier than all the others?

I'm in a similar kind of situation, but decided to stay with the low frets on my 76 GJS. The only disadvantage i see is that tuning gets a bit more difficult because they are so wide and the bridge is not adjustable for each individual string . My goal is to emulate the feel of playing on the "flat" frets to the extent that i can transfer it to my other guitars. Not sure if this will work out, time will tell.
    Last edited by JazzNote; 10-13-2016 at 07:21 AM.

User Info Menu

JazzNote, Nothing is wrong with the guitar that plays easier than the other guitars.
    The burden falls on the other guitars. That's what I wanted to try and avoid.

I think I can overcome that problem. Its just going to take a little extra time each time I sit down and play a different one. I just don't want divots forming in my fretboard. That would kill me.

JD

User Info Menu

I remember talks about scalloped fingerboards which forced a light touch upon the player and believe that with enough conscience and discipline this can be achieved without the help of such an aid. The "speed" of the low frets actually helps developing a lighter touch. Probably the danger to have divots forming is not so imminent when using heavier string gauges as we do. I don't think that my E1 (0.13) is touching the fingerboard ever. Not sure though about your E1 0.12.

User Info Menu

Jazznote, We are lucky. These are guitars of a lifetime, for me, for sure.
    My analogy of it being a laser beam as opposed to a light bulb was good huh?

Enjoy that beauty!

JD

User Info Menu

I personally haven't seen the problem with divots. My first real electric guitar, and my only one for a very long time is the "fretless wonder" 1980 Silverburst LP Custom that I got for my 19th birthday. It's been played so much that half of the finish is gone off of the neck and there is very noticeable fret wear. The fretboard look great though. I've seen lots of guitars that have some deep divots though, some with frets that aren't even low. I think Jazznote must be right. It has more to do with the touch of the player than the frets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Fretboard divots are caused by heavy hand pressure and poor fingernail trimming habits. You will never see that phenomenon unless you are a practitioner of both.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Jazznote, We are lucky. These are guitars of a lifetime, for me, for sure.
    My analogy of it being a laser beam as opposed to a light bulb was good huh?

Enjoy that beauty!

JD
    Yep ..... enjoy too. Laser beam seems to sit right - too bad i don't have a lifetime left with it ;-).

The love of my life however is my 2003 L5CES, the only high-end full size archtop i bought brand new and "nursed" through infancy, patiently waiting for the day when it would develop the mature sound which i can enjoy now.

User Info Menu

That's a relief.
    I am keeping the frets the way they are. You guys are right.
    The character of the GJS is made from all of its components. I have to stop thinking I have to tweak every damn thing I own. An Original GJS, with an almost non existent amount of playwear should be kept the way it is.

Thanks Guys,
    Joe D.

User Info Menu

Just a little update. I am keeping the frets the way they are.
    Ive played my 175 for 7 days in a row. It's a nice guitar. It has that Jazz Guitar thing completely nailed down. Ive gotten accustomed to it.
    So tonight, I reluctantly picked up the Johnny Smith to play. Reluctantly, because I was afraid it would become difficult to play. Oh my god.. The Johnny plays itself. If there was ever a guitar that was made for me, this is it. I think this guitar complements my soft touch perfectly. And when I want to dig in, it responds just like a high end guitar should. If I ever decide to play out again, I would use the Johnny exclusively. It plays my stuff exactly the way I've always wanted a guitar to play it. Smooth, flowing, tight and balanced. The guitar doesn't get in the way. It just projects your feelings.

So, As has always been the case, I done overthunk things once again. Sorry to be such a diva sometimes.
    This guitar just like it is, in its absolutely original state, is biblical. "On the eighth day, God created the Gibson Johnny Smith"..
    i am so lucky to have this guitar. Unbelievably fortunate.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Fretboard divots are caused by heavy hand pressure and poor fingernail trimming habits. You will never see that phenomenon unless you are a practitioner of both.
    Quick, somebody from Jersey call 911, as some imposter must be using RP's keyboard! I've not seen an RP sighting in years - Or, 50 guitar purchases!

User Info Menu

This popped up on my YouTube feed - had to post it. It makes me happy when my friends score their dream guitars.

<strong>

User Info Menu

Big Mike,

Nice find. The clip sounds good. Nice JS and nice playing (acoustic!).

User Info Menu

Very Nice Mike. Thanks buddy.
    The roundwounds do sound nice acoustically, except for the squeaks..
    When I bought mine, I listened to Steve playing it so nicely. He has all the tricks up his sleeve including the harp Chime Harmonics, which came through like crystals getting pinged.. Lovely.

User Info Menu

Joe,

You might be aware that I own an L-5C outfitted with a Gibson JS pickup from the same era (1975) as your GJS. It would be fun to compare them. Mine is very different in tone from a vintage swing era Gibson (it's warmer, darker), but also very lightweight at ~6.25 lbs. It has a slim neck with the widest string spacing of my various Gibsons, despite retaining a 1 11/16" nut. It's also ever so slightly shallower in rim depth than a standard L-5.

Here's our favorite purple bedsheet with the guitar:

Gibson Johnny Smith (finally)-1975-l-5cn-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    This popped up on my YouTube feed - had to post it. It makes me happy when my friends score their dream guitars.

<strong>
    Nice! He must be a huge guy, the guitar looks so small in his hands!

User Info Menu

I was listening to the live version of George Benson's "Ode To A Kudu" off of "Weekend In L.A." and it sounds like he's still playing the Gibson Johnny Smith at this point. As we all know the guitar pictured on the cover (GB10) isn't necessarily the guitar used on the recording.

User Info Menu

Here he is in 1976 with a JS

Pretty sure this is also a GJS
    Last edited by JazzNote; 10-20-2016 at 03:47 PM.

User Info Menu

George used a drop D tuning on this song.
    When I learned it, I was afraid to mess with the tunings on the guitar.
    Because Johnny Smith used the drop D almost exclusively, and used the GJS on a lot of his recordings, the deep sound of the Johnny Smith guitar is synonymous with Johnny use of the drop D.
    That was a GREAT tune. I happen to LOVE that entire album. Although Jazz Guitar purists see it as George's unfortunatel foray in Pop music. I saw as a way for him to pay the bills, and to show the world that George was versatile and his wonderful voice coupled with his extraordinary guitar playing made him, in my opinion, one of if not THE most talented musical virtuoso's of all time.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Here he is in 1976 with a JS
    Wow JazzNote, that could be your guitar right there!

User Info Menu

All these years, I had NO IDEA that George actually played a Johnny Smith during that time.
    And played Breezin too!! I feel another Video coming soon...

User Info Menu

George said that during the weekend he was recording "Weekend In L.A." at the Roxy he was first approached by Ibanez about doing a signature model.

User Info Menu

Yeah a Johnny Smith on those old recordings, and from what I hear on a lot of other newer ones also, that or the old D'Angelico New Yorker he has.

As for his association with Ibanez, if I remember the Guitar Player interview I read correctly, WAAAY back GB said he was about to go onstage and didn't have a pick. Some guy backstage did and it was a rep from Ibanez and in giving him that pick broke the ice and they talked. Ibanez offered George Benson WAAAY more of a lucrative deal for HIS OWN signature guitar made HIS WAY than Gibson or any other company would have. Gibson was just gonna give him A GUITAR and that was it, bad move. We all love playing many great guitars and a guy with the good taste and big pockets like Mr. Benson can play whatever he wants to at home or in the studio.

You gotta admit any time you see a cat playing out with a GB10 or GB200 or LGB300 they're great sounding, they really are built to be on the road and to play in loud situations. I think worse case was Mr Benson had to apply clear tape over his f-holes at some gigs.

User Info Menu

George can make a dead skunk on the side of the road sound good. But you are right Mike. George has never sounded bad. But I never knew that he played a Johnny Smith. I've actually seen him playing the ibanez imitation Smith's with McCoy Tyner. This makes me feel even better about my baby.
    Life is Good.
    Last edited by Max405; 10-21-2016 at 09:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Wow JazzNote, that could be your guitar right there!
    There are strong similarities ;-) but his guitar probably ended up in the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix:

Gibson Johnny Smith (finally)-a0e12043-0313-43b8-a104-428c55a0b070_zpscsksdoxa-jpg