The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 102

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    the 17" guitar looks like a baby next to the others. What a sight to see.
    Thats as good as any mortal can ever get.

All three have 17 inch lower bouts. With it's smaller upper bout and narrower headstock, the Excel does look smaller than the other two...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

At a loss for words.

Beautiful & congrat.s to all parties!

User Info Menu

Follow up to my original posts (Part 3 if you will):

I made contact with Stuart Deutsch, the New York Collector who owned this guitar from 2008 until 2013. The Guitar was found in Hawaii (not Florida as was reported by Steve Stein, Tony Marcus and Darren Hippner, the Classical luthier who sold it to Joe D.), so it has traveled even more than I thought! The guitar was owned by a gigging Hawaii musician who died and it was then sold by his daughter. The Guitar was found without a case in a plastic bag.

The restoration work was done by Manny Salvador in New York Manny reset the neck, made a new nut, repaired the inlays, re-fretted it, made a new bridge, made a new pickguard and did a relic refinish. Stuart located a period correct Grover tailpiece and purchased the Gotoh tuners.

Manny Salvador

Tony Marcus had Bill Reinhard refinish the guitar and had the Grover tailpiece replated.

Stuart bought the guitar as a project guitar from Island Guitars in Honolulu

Also to note: The 50's Dearmond that Darren Hippner included in the sale to Joe (and Joe included in the sale to me) did not fit the guitar very well (a bit too thick). I have a 60's Dearmond 1000 that fits the guitar like a glove. The guitar is now finally ready to gig again.

User Info Menu

One more thing. I measured the rim thickness. 2 3/4 inches. This is possibly the thinnest acoustic DA ever. Amazingly comfortable in the lap and an awesome neck profile. This guitar is all set for her new life as a player. And after all of this guitar trading, you can stick a fork in me, I'm done.

User Info Menu

SS,
    Hawaii? And now Santa Cruz? No wonder the spirits inside of it coaxed me to get it the hell out of Jersey!
    My goodness. Well, some of the mysteries are solved. And I can tell with complete confidence, I NEVER would have known all of that. From now on, you are Magnum...
    What did you think of the condition of the 50's D'Armond? It looks like it was never used, right? I'm sorry you found it to be too tall.
    The neck is kind of amazing huh? And I would have bet big money on that nut being original.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

manny salvador!...one of my nyc fave players -brad shepik- uses a manny salvador custom build

he's been around a long time...some client list!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The Three Sisters (every bit as grand as those mountains in Oregon):

Attachment 36215

1937 Style A, 1935 Excel, 1948 Style B
    That's the D'Angelico Sisters. That's the sweetest trio I've seen in a long time. They're prettier and sound even better than the Andrew Sisters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    manny salvador!...one of my nyc fave players -brad shepik- uses a manny salvador custom build

he's been around a long time...some client list!

cheers
    Manny is the best! He's my go to guy for all things guitar mods or repairs. So glad I found him.

User Info Menu

Follow up to my original posts (Part 3 if you will):

I made contact with Stuart Deutsch, the New York Collector who owned this guitar from 2008 until 2013. The Guitar was found in Hawaii (not Florida as was reported by Steve Stein, Tony Marcus and Darren Hippner, the Classical luthier who sold it to Joe D.), so it has traveled even more than I thought! The guitar was owned by a gigging Hawaii musician who died and it was then sold by his daughter. The Guitar was found without a case in a plastic bag.

The restoration work was done by Manny Salvador in New York Manny reset the neck, made a new nut, repaired the inlays, re-fretted it, made a new bridge, made a new pickguard and did a relic refinish. Stuart located a period correct Grover tailpiece and purchased the Gotoh tuners.

Manny Salvador

Tony Marcus had Bill Reinhard refinish the guitar and had the Grover tailpiece replated.

Stuart bought the guitar as a project guitar from Island Guitars in Honolulu

Also to note: The 50's Dearmond that Darren Hippner included in the sale to Joe (and Joe included in the sale to me) did not fit the guitar very well (a bit too thick). I have a 60's Dearmond 1000 that fits the guitar like a glove. The guitar is now finally ready to gig again.
    That's quite some piece of history for a guitar! To know this makes it even more valuable .....

User Info Menu

More twists and turns than the plot of " The Red Violin" . I'm glad you are both happy. I don't understand how that can be but the world works in mysterious ways. I'm glad archtops are getting on, violin life spans can be measured in hundreds of years so there is some catching up to do but if anything does it will be the D'Angelico's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier
    More twists and turns than the plot of " The Red Violin" . I'm glad you are both happy. I don't understand how that can be but the world works in mysterious ways. I'm glad archtops are getting on, violin life spans can be measured in hundreds of years so there is some catching up to do but if anything does it will be the D'Angelico's.
    I think that if humans are still making music with musical instruments rather than say, computer replicators, the guitars of John D'Angelico will be valued hundreds of years from now. So much beautiful music can be made with a guitar, and what sounds more beautiful in the world of guitars than a fine acoustic archtop?
    Last edited by Stringswinger; 10-03-2016 at 08:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ingeneri
    If anything can make one appreciate StewMac and AllParts, it's this photo!

Congrats on the new D'angelico score Marc.
    Thanks Matt. Of the 5 guitars that I sold to acquire this Excel, your AA is the only one that is still giving me pangs of regret. And speaking of tuners, the vintage Grover Imperials on your AA are the nicest I have ever seen. Those are the same tuners that John D'Angelico used in the 50's and 60's.

User Info Menu

I think that if humans are still making music with musical instruments rather than say, computer replicators, the guitars of John D'Angelico will be valued hundreds of years from now. So much beautiful music can be made with a guitar, and what sounds more beautiful in the world of guitars than a fine acoustic archtop?
    Two or three fine acoustic archtops. Too bad I only can play one at a time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    Two or three fine acoustic archtops. Too bad I only can play one at a time.
    I always say that a guitarist only needs two guitars, an electric and an acoustic. Any more than that is just an art collection. And archtop guitars, especially the guitars of John D'Angelico are the zenith of the art of the guitar.

User Info Menu

But what about a 12, nylon, solids (takes a few to cover the bases) semi hollow, etc.... then some have to have electric and acoustic versions. When creating a palette for the art of tone it is best to prepare for the pallet and forklift it will take to move them.

And hang on in CA and put the guitars in good spots, just saw the news where they say things could start shaking in the south.

User Info Menu

"just an art collection" ?!? easy on that. Us painters are as easily offended as the guitarists. And we rely on the enthusiasm of collectors

However, I do agree with the idea that many guitars becomes too many very easily. I have too many already and I only have 9 or 10. But I try to figure out what to sell, and it quickly becomes "which of my children to goes first" sort of scenario . . .

But there is not such thing as too big an art collection --that's called a museum

User Info Menu

I always say that a guitarist only needs two guitars, an electric and an acoustic. Any more than that is just an art collection. And archtop guitars, especially the guitars of John D'Angelico are the zenith of the art of the guitar.

User Info Menu

But what about a 12, nylon, solids (takes a few to cover the bases) semi hollow, etc.... then some have to have electric and acoustic versions. When creating a palette for the art of tone it is best to prepare for the pallet and forklift it will take to move them.

And hang on in CA and put the guitars in good spots, just saw the news where they say things could start shaking in the south.
    All my guitars live in hard shell cases when I am not playing them. AFWIW, Southern California is hundreds of miles away.

I hear you about the palette thing. I am down to 18 guitars and have put the brakes on the sell mode.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    "just an art collection" ?!? easy on that. Us painters are as easily offended as the guitarists. And we rely on the enthusiasm of collectors

However, I do agree with the idea that many guitars becomes too many very easily. I have too many already and I only have 9 or 10. But I try to figure out what to sell, and it quickly becomes "which of my children to goes first" sort of scenario . . .

But there is not such thing as too big an art collection --that's called a museum
    "Which of my children"? For me it is more like "which members of my harem will I no longer be able to fondle"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Plectrum
    There is nothing wrong with that, in fact I encourage it. Life is short. Get the guitars of your dreams, how ever many that may be, while you can!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ingeneri
    Mostly true if your preferred electric is a laminate, semi, or solid body. But, for someone like me who prefers carved tops (acoustic or CES style), I find you still need a laminate for outdoor gigs or venues with lousy climate control. DC summers and winters are bad enough, and don't get me started on SE Asia or Congo.
    Sure, we can all expand our list due to "preferences". But the truth is, we could all use a 335 to play just about any gig that calls for amplification, in just about any genre.

I studied for a time with Milt Norman back in the 70's. Milt had been one of the top LA Studio guys and was Bobby Darin's guitar player throughout Darin's big years. At the time I was taking lessons from Milt, he was still performing and had only three guitars, a classical, a 335 and his Stromberg (Which I think he kept mostly as a memento of his big band days, that one never left his house). And he had one amp, a Twin.

Barney Kessel pretty much played only one guitar (though I would bet he had more than one) throughout his career.

No guitarist "needs" a plethora of guitars to make music. But let me be the first to say that having a bunch of great guitars is a very cool thing. No matter where you live.

User Info Menu

Absolutely. Jimmy took what John did and didn't try to duplicate it (except in the beginning). He took John's concepts and improved on them. Now John Monteleone has the scepter. It's time for me to research his sound.

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Or lack of it...
    Care to expound upon that? That's quite a bold statement.

User Info Menu

"Which of my children"? For me it is more like "which members of my harem will I no longer be able to fondle"
    Yeah baby that's what I'm talkin about..
    Guitars do follow the contours of a beautiful woman..
    That's why I just cant warm up to a guitar with a Bigsby on it. Just not right.. Kinda throws me off...
    JD

User Info Menu

Wow, up till now I never associated a wang bar with anatomy before. Is my Floyd Rose a rose in name only, hermaphrodite in application? Will we need therapy after this to feel good about the shimmy and shake of grabbing a bar? Uh..... thanks Joe. My favorite is the Vibrola on my SG for its gentle shimmers and soft cries. I won't give it up!

User Info Menu

Wow, up till now I never associated a wang bar with anatomy before. Is my Floyd Rose a rose in name only, hermaphrodite in application? Will we need therapy after this to feel good about the shimmy and shake of grabbing a bar? Uh..... thanks Joe. My favorite is the Vibrola on my SG for its gentle shimmers and soft cries. I won't give it up!
    In the context of this conversation, I am thinking "wang bar" is a realy poor choice of words..