The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 89

User Info Menu

I must admit I'm playing a bit outside my league here, but this 1934 L7 showed up recently at a local shop (as in local bricks n mortar, not GC) and we sort of fell in love. Turns out it has a good, reliable backstory of recent ownership. Plays great, sounds amazing in the way only an old guitar can sound amazing, and doesn't look too bad either. No obvious major problems. So I guess I'm now a "vintage" guitar owner.

I never thought I'd own a 82 year old guitar! I feel more like caretaker than owner.
    Also, I don't mind thinking of it as a bit of an investment.

The guitar has newer grover openback tuners, and a Larivee pickup mounted in a bit of a hacked-up Johnny Smith style arrangement. The pickup looks well used and sounds excellent.

It's got a few warts, a surprisingly good looking back, not too much checking, no major cracks, a nice flat neck, and a great tone. I'm a happy camper.

'30s Gibson L-7-gibson-l7-1-jpg'30s Gibson L-7-gibson-l7-back-jpg'30s Gibson L-7-gibson-l7-front-jpg'30s Gibson L-7-gibson-l7-headstock-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats that is a mighty nice guitar

th pickguard is also replacement as cheapo chinese multiply wasnt available in the 1930s yet ;-)

I think it is a Lawrence pickup not Larrivee ? Those were popular in the 1980's and sound great. Quite thick though to modern day standards so wouldnt fit many archtops without modification

User Info Menu

that's not 'messy'!
    typical wear for an 85 year old guitar that's been played.
    looks like it might have had big old Grovers on it and they plugged the old holes when they installed the reissue tuners.
    bridge might be a replacement, though the thumbwheels are for sure.
    enjoy that guitar!

User Info Menu

That's cool.

I love some of the less common inlays used by Gibson, and others, on some of their earlier guitars.

User Info Menu

Those inlays were used on some of the earlier banjos.
    when banjo production was slowing in the 30s they probably had leftover stock and just used them on guitars like L-7's, Nick Lucas models, etc...

User Info Menu

That's a real beauty, Longways. How do you like the neck? Looks like it has a nice rounded vee shape. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    those inlays were used on some of the earlier banjos.
    when banjo production was slowing in the 30s they probably had leftover stock and just used them on guitars like L-7's, Nick Lucas models, etc...

I saw an L-4 of that vintage w/ those inlays too ! And now that I think of it, they reappeared on Nick Lucas R/I's too !!!

User Info Menu

That's a great looking guitar. Those Bill Lawrence pickups are great too.

User Info Menu

Very nice! Once you get a solid vintage specimen in your hands, it's hard for modern craftsmanship to compare. Nothing like that "weathered" sound. Play it in good health!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Congrats. I have played some vintage L-7's that sounded better than some vintage L-5's.

User Info Menu

That's basically an L5 without the glitz. Who needs glitz? Congrats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    That's a real beauty, Longways. How do you like the neck? Looks like it has a nice rounded vee shape. Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    I like the neck just fine, even though she is a bit thicker than my usual girl.
    Big rounded V for sure. Not my typical neck choice, but I'm finding this one impossible to resist. . .

User Info Menu

Welcome to the L-7 Club. I think 1934 was the introductory year for the L-7. Here is a clip from the Catalog W from 1934 if you don't already have this.
    Attached Images Attached Images '30s Gibson L-7-1934-gibson-l7-jpg 
    Last edited by icr; 09-08-2016 at 10:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Looks like you have the original tailpiece, bridge and saddle. Those things are nearly unobtainable if you don't get them with the guitar. With my L-7 the original bridge & saddle were missing.

The original saddle adjustment washers are tiny and thin.
    '30s Gibson L-7-bridge-jpg
    Last edited by icr; 09-08-2016 at 10:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes, in that time period both the L-5 and L-7 had 16" bodies, carved spruce top & carved maple back; very similar guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Looks like you have the original tailpiece, bridge and saddle. Those things are nearly unobtainable if you don't get them with the guitar. With my L-7 the original bridge & saddle were missing.

The original saddle adjustment washers are tiny and thin.
    '30s Gibson L-7-bridge-jpg
    yes, this looks exactly like the bridge & saddle- with the exception of the wheels. Mine has very big and loose feeling wheels -- but they work fine. The big wheels are surprisingly functional for easy adjustments! Asymmetrical bridge design is very interesting. Also, my saddle has been hacked up a bit --- looks like someone in the past went on a quest for perfect intonation.

User Info Menu

Lucky you! And it looks and sounds great to boot! Congrats!

I'd love to have a 30s or 40s archtop. I can't have grandpa's '46 Epiphone Emperor (my uncle inherited it, when grandpa died in 1971, and he won't let go of it - despite the fact that he never plays it [my luck he'll give it to my smart mouthed cousin, who is a lame-o guitar player - all he does is play "chinga chinga chinga"]), but I could sure be happy with a 30s round or oval hole Gibson L4. I love the way they (and other round and oval sound hole archtops) can bark!

User Info Menu

yeah thats a blll lawrence a-400 pickup..nice!..bl was the scientist of pickups..

enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

My first jazz teacher had a 40s L-7 with one of those Lawrence A400 pickups. It sounded wonderful. Enjoy that guitar! And you are right- when it comes to fine instruments we are caretakers, not owners.

User Info Menu

I hope your sounds like the ones in those two vids, because I absolutely LOVE that sound. One heck of an awesome NGD!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Welcome to the L-7 Club. I think 1934 was the introductory year for the L-7. Here is a clip from the Catalog W from 1934 if you don't already have this.

'32 was the first year.
    '34 it went to 17" wide like the L-5

User Info Menu

Love love love these old L7s. It is in remarkable condition. Needs a proper pickguard though.

User Info Menu

Longways...

Great looking 85 year old! Condition looks actually very nice indeed, looks well cared for.
    These old girls need a ton of playing to sound their best.
    My L7's are a nearly museum quality 71 year old and a youthfull 65 year old who was rode
    hard and put away wet. Even though they are both my elders, I treat them like babies.

Enjoy that fantastic sweet looking guitar.

User Info Menu

I am absolutely in love with the newly acquired L7! Her new name is "The Queen".
    I'm glad to hear she needs to be played because she's really hard to put down!

She is currently strung with D'addario EXP phosphor bronze acoustic 12's -- similar to the worn out strings she came with. I absolutely love the sound & feel of this old guitar -- big ole V neck & all. Being new to the whole "vintage" thing, I'm hoping 12's aren't too heavy a gauge -- I could move down to 11's or 10's if that might be safer?

The front has more checking than I initially realized -- as in basically everywhere. I guess that's normal?

Also, the Bill Lawrence pickup sounds fantastic! Do they still make these? Damn . . .
    I can't believe how good the whole set up sounds unplugged or plugged in.

It might be time to sell off some of the lesser herd.

User Info Menu

for era correctness..next time string'em with some bronze 80/20's or monels..80/20's for acoustic tone...the monels being a nickel derivative will give you some extra volume through the pickup..higher magnetic content to interact with pup

and no worry, 12's are considered light for that era of guitar...they used wound b's! back then

lovely guitar..have fun

cheers