The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 89

User Info Menu

Hey, thanks all -- especially Wintermoon & ICR.

After a few days with the new/really old L7, I can't really believe how much I love it/her
    I can't believe how lucky I was to stumble into this deal !

I would have never guessed an 82 year old guitar with a big V neck & no cutaway would become my tonal paradigm, but that is pretty much what has happened. This old L7 sounds great acoustic, and it also sounds great plugged in. I love the Bill Lawrence A400 pickup on this guitar! why doesn't this set up get more talk around here? I just don't know how it could get much better than this.

Wowee Zoweee

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

^

cool, those 20s and 30s small body Gibsons are great little guitars, some sound better than others but I've yet to play a dud.

User Info Menu

Yes, the sound must be different from a guitar that has a cuttaway. I've never tried it but i wonder if the sound is near to the one of an ES150CC. Did somebody try both (L7 and ES150CC - acoustic or not) so as to be able to compare? I've tried an ES150CC pre-war from Belgium without amp at the Luthier Scamps place, around Paris. Did it be also sold, in the past, with its Gibson amp?
    Any comment is welcome...
    (The L7 model name is quite magic: L is a 7 inverted, upside down. In paris, Karl Lagerfeld, the boss of Chanel, named his book shop and photographer studio "7L". When you pronounce it in french, it sounds "c'est elle!"; it gives in English "it's her!". Like when you cross the girl you're shure to marry. There is a mystic meaning for this letter and this figure combined.)
    Last edited by Tcharlze; 09-13-2016 at 04:20 AM.

User Info Menu

I had one of those A400s years ago. IIRC it was very low output, not necessarily a bad thing, but I found that inconvenient at times.

User Info Menu

The 20s and 30s 16" Gibson arch tops are glorious sounding instruments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    I had one of those A400s years ago. IIRC it was very low output, not necessarily a bad thing, but I found that inconvenient at times.
    I am not having low output with this pickup on this guitar. But the pickup is mounted very close to the strings -- basically at fretboard level -- so I expect that might make a big difference. My experience of this guitar set up plugged into my AI/Reazer's edge cab set up is lots of output, dead quiet, super rich tone. Slightly short on bass, so I find myself boosting the bass EQ more than my usual set up. It's really working for me as the treble sound is thick & rich, as opposed to bright.

Now I'm going to have to dig out my old Bill Lawrence acoustic sound hole pick up to see how it compares to the more modern piezo/preamp setups in my more modern flattop guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tcharlze
    Did somebody try both (L7 and ES150CC - acoustic or not) so as to be able to compare?
    These two sound quite different.
    Attached Images Attached Images '30s Gibson L-7-two-guitars-jpg 

User Info Menu

Thank you icr for your testimony, and for this picture of your two amaizing gems; the fact that the mics seem to be very different must contribute to this difference about the sound.
    Knowing the amout of guitars i've seen on google image equiped by this CC micro, i presume that the ES150 is a very good sounding guitar.
    The micro of the L7 seems to be very specific.
    I guess both sounds are amazing.
    If i had to choose, i would mabe purchase a CC model, because it would complete my collection that is axed on George Benson and Wes Montgomery.
    But it must be very exviting to pick up an L7!!
    thanx so much and have a nice day!
    Last edited by Tcharlze; 09-15-2016 at 03:11 AM.

User Info Menu

I forgot I had playing examples of both:

User Info Menu

Wow thank you for sharing icr! I couldn't imagine i could be able to compare those guitars today!
    We can feel how you enjoy playing both! Congrats for the nice and quite long improvisations!...
    I love how the L7 can sound Benson style at the end of the video, when you play octaves, and how the ES150 can sound funky at the begining. Actually time seems to not have any influence on these pre-war and very classical models... Maybe it was recorded with a contemporary Fender amp?
    The thing that comes in my mind about the difference between the two guitars is surprisingly a trial in a guitar store, when i played two gipsy jazz models of now a days, one with a big mouth (D shape), that i have bought and that sounded a little like the ES150CC, with a kind of woody/nasal sound, and the other one, with a little oval mouth, inspired also by a Selmer model, the one of Django Reinhardt, with a wide and deep sound, very nice for clean chords. Despite of the fact they were not electric, they were also inspired by pre-war models. maybe that point explains my reminiscence...
    Congratuations icr, and many thanks. I loved it!

User Info Menu

Today I bagged a 1936 Gibson L7! I just brought it home and put a new set of strings on it. I couldn't help but also record a comparison between the Gibson and my Eastman AR910 non-cutaway. See if you can tell which is which (shouldn't be too hard). They're obviously very different instruments. At first I was thinking of selling the Eastman, but now I'm tempted to keep it for its unique voice (especially since this model is discontinued and one of the best acoustic archtops in its price range). Excuse the general brittleness of the audio tracks - the strings on both are brand new. I'm sure the difference between the two instruments will be more apparent as the strings wear in.

'30s Gibson L-7-gibson2-jpg'30s Gibson L-7-eastman-jpg
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 01-15-2017 at 11:38 PM.

User Info Menu

1) Eastman 2) L7

I have a '37 L7. What type gauge string are you using on the L7?

Just in case I'm wrong...... D'oh in advance

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teleboli
    1) Eastman 2) L7

I have a '37 L7. What type gauge string are you using on the L7?

Just in case I'm wrong...... D'oh in advance
    They're 80/20 bronze .013. I won't confirm or deny your guess just yet.

User Info Menu

When you see cool old archtops w/pickwear like this L-7, you can't help but think it was used in a big band setting w/the guitarist banging away as hard as possible in an attempt to be heard.

User Info Menu

I) Eastman 2) Gibson Both are impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    When you see cool old archtops w/pickwear like this L-7, you can't help but think it was used in a big band setting w/the guitarist banging away as hard as possible in an attempt to be heard.
    I have two acoustic archtops from that era - a '35-ish Klalamazoo and a Washburn of similar vintage - and both exhibit the same upper-bout scrapeage. I love them none the less.

Congratulations, and play them both in good health!

User Info Menu

First example is the Gibson.

Dryer, with more information embedded.

User Info Menu

I'm with k (and teleboli). The Gibson is the second one.

Congrats on the L-7!

User Info Menu

Eastman is #1

User Info Menu

Good ears all around. The Eastman is the first. The Gibson is the second. Both sounds have their merits. The Eastman has clearer note separation, tighter bass, and a brighter upper midrange focus. The Gibson is warmer & mellower, a bit less note definition in lower register harmony, stronger bass, and a much smoother treble.

User Info Menu

Nice playing too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Good ears all around. The Eastman is the first. The Gibson is the second. Both sounds have their merits. The Eastman has clearer note separation, tighter bass, and a brighter upper midrange focus. The Gibson is warmer & mellower, a bit less note definition in lower register harmony, stronger bass, and a much smoother treble.

Congrats ! My '37 L-7 is my favorite instrument. ( and I also own a '50's L-7 and a WesMO ).

I couldn't seem to make the SoundCloud link work - I just clicked and got their cookie policy.

Enjoy it - -I just believe L-7's from those particular years, w/ those inlays, x-braced - -are just magic !

User Info Menu

I chimed in too late to have a valid guess (though I was in the (1) is Eastman (2) is Gibson camp).

I have been a fan of the AR910 since it came out. Anything to keep the acoustic archtop alive and kicking is alright with me. The AR901, however, is an exceptional guitar. Its voice is beautiful and it plays wonderfully. Love the finish, too.

OTOH, the picture frame L-7 is a truly iconic guitar. _Every_ one that I have played has been memorable. In fact, some of the picture frame "sevens" strike me as _better_ rhythm guitars than many of the L-5 guitars of the period. Not all...I have played some 30s L-5s that are spectacular. The L-7, however, is maybe the most balanced sounding 30s archtop I have played. The bass is strong, but the treble is just as commanding. The sound up and down the neck is serious "smile on your face" territory.

The sound clip, IMO, seems to capture the unique voices of both guitars. For my money, the remarkable thing is how well the Eastman hangs in there with a vintage, iconic Gibson archtop. No one would turn up his nose at the AR910.

User Info Menu

Both guitars sounded great. I have had a lot of archtops over the years but I never had an L7 until recently. I finally bought a 1947 non-cutaway L7 just before Christmas and I am really impressed with it. I realize that mine is later than the one that is the subject of this thread, but I just wanted to join in with the rest of the L7 aficionados here. They are great guitars that are a little more affordable than many others.
    Keith

User Info Menu

L7 sounds way better to me, but I can see where there would be applications for both.

User Info Menu

Just curious, if I may ask, what does an L-7 like this typically weigh?

Thanks.