The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 66

User Info Menu

I have been lusting over a Henriksen Alfresco and am going to most likely pull the trigger on one soon. I was just wondering if anyone on here had one so I could hear some impressions and maybe see some videos of it in action.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Alfresco is not a regular Henriksen amp, it was commissioned by Sound Island Music from Henriksen so doubt you'll find many out there. Sound Island has a sound clip on there site.

User Info Menu

Well I took the plunge and ordered one today, so I will report back and put up a video if I can when it arrives.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanfan424
    Well I took the plunge and ordered one today, so I will report back and put up a video if I can when it arrives.
    Sure is a sharp looker.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I think so and coming from being a tube amp guy almost all my life. It seems to have a middle ground sound between tubes and solid state.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanfan424

Can I ask what intrigued you about this Alfresco versus a standard Henriksen. It's appears open back cab is the only difference.

User Info Menu

It has a built in feedback blocking switch, open back cab, custom Weber speaker, and it looks much more appealing in my opinion. I also don't need a tweeter and just need an amp that sounds great and is light enough to carry to gigs, and around campus.

User Info Menu

It's basically an overpriced out of spec "new" jazzamp since the current spec are the 310/12. You could have bought a used last gen one for much cheaper. Personally I don't like the direction either Henriksen or Mambo are going with more features and circuits. Less is more, I don't want a tweeter or a bright circuit, or built in reverb for that matter.

User Info Menu

It is not out of spec the Alfresco is up to date with the current 312 specs as stated on Sound Island's website. Also you pay the same price as a Henriksen 312 but are getting a few different options, which fit my personal needs better, I see no downside. It really comes down to different strokes for different folks.

User Info Menu

The Sound Island/Henriksen Alfresco has the same specifications as the latest Henriksen 312 amp; those include a new and better reverb. It is open-backed, carries the same price as the Henriken 312 and looks a damn sight better in Brown Faux Swamp Gator and Cane Grillecloth. Also available in Faux Black Croc and Wheat Grillecloth. And you get to deal with and support a genuinely nice jazz guitarist shop-owner Michael Biller whose advice on amps you can trust. You can ask for a demo over Skype, if you choose. Michael plays very well so you can hear it (and any other amp that he has in store) in its full glory.

User Info Menu

Received the Alfresco today and man this amp is awesome! I will post sound clips in the future and maybe a video but I honestly can't recommend it highly enough, or Michael at Sound Island enough, just excellent service from a great human being.

User Info Menu

Here are some photos as requested. No idea why some are sideways as I did not take them that way and they are right side up on my Mac before uploading, so i guess tilt your head haha.
    Henriksen Jazz Amp Alfresco-img_2801-jpg
    Henriksen Jazz Amp Alfresco-img_2807-2-jpg
    Henriksen Jazz Amp Alfresco-img_2808-2-jpg
    Henriksen Jazz Amp Alfresco-img_2809-2-jpg

User Info Menu

That is freakin beautiful. What does it weigh?

User Info Menu

The standard Henriksen 312 is about 37 lbs. With an open back and no tweeter I would guess 34 - 35 lbs.

User Info Menu

It is listed as 31 lbs. it's about like carrying a Princeton reverb by the feel of it.

User Info Menu

Oh WOW, that looks very very nice and classy! And expensive! If Hermes made amplifiers, that is what they would look like.

I like the half open-back cabinet.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 02-08-2016 at 11:11 AM.

User Info Menu

How would the open back affect the tone as opposed to the closed one?

It would be interesting to compare side by side with the regular Henricksen.

Congratulations on the new acquisition!

User Info Menu

In theory the open back should be more airy and reduce bass a smidge, but the speaker has tons of low end so bass is not a problem. I'd like to compare it to a regular Henriksen as well.

User Info Menu

I understand Michael Biller had Weber customise a speaker for the Alfresco after listening to different ones.

This is the blurb:

"We started with the Eminence Beta 12A that works well in Henriksen's tuned closed back/ported cabinets, but that speaker wasn't a good match in the Alfresco's open back cabinet. We then began auditioning several models from Weber, Jensen, Warehouse, Eminence, Fane. Swapped speakers in and swapped speakers out, back and forth. It was a l-o-n-g methodical process. Eventually collecting what seemed like a wall of speakers, we concluded that only a custom speaker made specifically for the Alfresco would deliver THE sound we targeted and the power handling the amp required. So our special speaker does. Hats off to the kind folks at Weber for working with us."

I like the soundcloud sample that is posted on Michael's website. Nice round tones tending towards warm colours.

User Info Menu

It's definitely a warm amp the speaker in mine is a Weber tone cult. Michael says this is the updated speaker for the new version including the 312 chassis. As soon as I get some time I'll be recording a little demo.

User Info Menu

24 hours away...Looking forward to comparing it to the JA110 I owned a while back...okay, several amps ago, but I've not owned a solid state for years...this newer amp design made me curious

User Info Menu

I've never seen that one before.
    Its really nice. Looks like a special edition, made for Italian people. I think its gorgeous. And from the panel up top, that's the new model. I really like my 112 that I got from Vinny. Like a Polytone, they are GREAT in big rooms or outdoors at volume. The 112's are not as warm/full sounding in a small room at low volumes like an open back Fender Tube amp. But the Henriksen is not your typical punchy Solid State amp. It has a tube feel to it. Just a little nasally at low volumes..
    This one has an open back. So its probably perfect!

I love the dressy treatment. Nice 2b.
    Last edited by Max405; 08-22-2016 at 12:55 PM.

User Info Menu

4 things motivated me to buy this amp.

To compare the new 312 electronics to the 110 in my head

To compare a SS tube like amp to an actual tube amp in a twin variant. I'm not expecting it to be close. If I only had a dollar for every SS amp ad copy that reads: tube like - This is not a new sells strategy. It's been going on in audio for some 25 or more years

To see if I can live with the smaller amp vs the larger amp for home use - see recent twin amp thread discussion. Again, my bias against the small SS amp is strong. But I've an open mind. What did Jerry MacGuire prove? Show me the money!

I don't have a 4th reason other than an even number sounds good.

User Info Menu

Isn't this model exclusive to Sound Island?

User Info Menu

Nearly so, yes. But I'm still surprised nobody here knows the amp. It's been out for a while

Henriksen JazzAmp | ALFRESCO Custom Jazz Guitar Amp Open Back 1x12 | SOUNDISLANDMUSIC.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Isn't this model exclusive to Sound Island?