The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 66 of 66

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Cut a hole in the back in the back of the Henriksen I gave you.
    Don't dare do that. The Magic might escape and never to be caught again.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Serious transformer! Very high end audio.

I have been sold on Weber VST speakers for 15 years. They are excellent. I have them in most of the amps I have built and customized.

User Info Menu

Were the Weber VST designed for metal music too?

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Serious transformer! Very high end audio.

I have been sold on Weber VST speakers for 15 years. They are excellent. I have them in most of the amps I have built and customized.

User Info Menu

That would work perfectly for what I play.
    The Drop D kills my little Marshall at higher volumes.

Y'know.. Once I get my Guitar situation in order, I see one of these in my future. I might even have to buy all new clothes to wear when I play through it!

JD
    Last edited by Max405; 08-26-2016 at 10:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Weber VST is just the company name.

User Info Menu

How is the reverb on your new Alfresco. The new 312 shoud have a much better reverb than the previous versions.
    How is yours?

User Info Menu

Hi Jazz175.

In my 4 decade love affair with audio gear I'm something of an audio purist. I prefer tubes, the older the better, and vinyl records. It's hard to improve upon a good thing.

Oh and I don't use reverb. A small amount is okay. But to my ears far too many guitarists I hear, especially for jazz, use way too much reverb. I think my lack of use is a silent protest?

It's like in the 70's, when Jovan Musk came out, and guys would bathe in it...you'd smell them coming from blocks away. Those poor women, from their dates, still have nightmares I'm sure.

RE reverb...,a small amount goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    How is the reverb on your new Alfresco. The new 312 shoud have a much better reverb than the previous versions.
    How is yours?
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-26-2016 at 03:32 PM.

User Info Menu

After a speaker series name of Tonecvlt you understand my assumption.

I understand JA wanted to have a powerful speaker for those playing out and using a small lightweight amp. But yesterday I kept thinking like man how would this amp sound with an Alnico speaker of ones choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Weber VST is just the company name.

User Info Menu

After all the fuss about this new Weber CLVT "Black Shuck", I decided to make the move on one. I'll switch out the one in the 12" BluesAmp which is an Eminence Legend 1258 and see what difference it makes. I can't imagine the amp sounding better than it already does, but, I'm game. So there, look what you've inspired me to do, 2B. I'll let you know what it does in my box.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    After all the fuss about this new Weber CLVT "Black Shuck", I decided to make the move on one. I'll switch out the one in the 12" BluesAmp which is an Eminence Legend 1258 and see what difference it makes. I can't imagine the amp sounding better than it already does, but, I'm game. So there, look what you've inspired me to do, 2B. I'll let you know what it does in my box.
    As speakers go the "black shuck" is very affordable. I still have a never used Weber Alninco boxed somewhere that I paid $170 for. I'd intended to mate it to the Celestion Blue in the Headstrong twin but then thought better of it as the Weber Blue Ceramic and the Celestion create a nice mix. Anyone need an Alninco? I believe it's a 10"

Hey Steve, you're great with tools...port the rear of that puppy while you're at it and report back to me...I'm coming over to play some piano soon!

User Info Menu

Does Weber ever list the sensitivity -- or any specs -- on their speakers? I'm comparing their web site to Eminence.

User Info Menu

Day 2, the jury is in:

mentioned in another thread comment to our esteemed GT:

"the Henriksen with the 312 electronics is a keeper. I'm diggin' everything about the amp...it's openness sp?, clarity, punch, warmth, its EQ, light weight, and small footprint.

If this Alfresco had been available years ago I'd likely never have acquired a Twin...but after owning 2 Twins, and then a Headstrong Vibroverb it was obviously my destiny to own a twin. Having a much smaller amp too allows me to practice late times at night rather than vegging out channel surfin'. I've yet to use the headphone feature, but it's there too...very versatile amp for practice too...I'd be very interested in hearing it at a small venue used by someone of your skill set...this amp can be carried by 2 fingers!

Highly recommended, as a 110 it is not...again, nothing against the 110...just too closed in for my taste. This is an entirely different amp design from top to bottom...Kudo's to Henriksen for pushing the envelope and discovering something new and worthwhile."

this amp and a knockoff ES175 is a match made in heaven. Great too with an acoustic-floater combo...I can't wait to sample it with the 18" in the shop having a Biltoft CC floater installed
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-26-2016 at 07:09 PM.

User Info Menu

I have one and it is my main amp. I love my Alfresco even though it can be a bit dark at times. The stock speaker was way too muddy for me so I swapped it with an eminence swamp thing, and that made it just pretty much perfect. I play an ES125c through it. Mine has the 312 electronics but no bright switch and no effects loop or ground switch. I kind of wish I had the bright switch so I could get some crisper tones out of the amp.
    Last edited by Dylanfan424; 08-28-2016 at 09:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanfan424
    I have one and it is my main amp. I love my Alfresco even though it can be a bit dark at times. The stock speaker was way too muddy for me so I swapped it with an eminence swamp thing, and that made it just pretty much perfect. I play an ES125c through it. Mine has the 312 electronics but no bright switch and no effects loop or ground switch. I kind of wish I had the bright switch so I could get some crisper tones out of the amp.

Congrats! So the first batch of Alfresco's didn't have the 312 electronics? When did the other updates you mention appear in the current amps? Thanks for chiming in and sharing your knowledge.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure when they appeared, but it seems mine has a 310 chasis in it. I believe mine might have been a prototype of the 3rd generation electronics, but I'm not sure. Michael from Sound Island would know for sure. I love the amp though and the new speaker made it much more useful for the tone I was looking for. So if anyone is in search of a tone cvlt speaker I have a mint one haha.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanfan424
    I'm still really digging my Alfresco after having it for about a year. Mine is an early model with the old 312 electronics, older reverb circuit and with the "phase switch". I think it may have been the Sound Island demo, but eventually they added a heavy Weber "Black Shuck" speaker as an experiment. I really like the amp with this speaker, which gives the sound more character than the stock speaker (but also adds at least 5 lbs of weight). And I find the speaker gives out more character the louder I play - not crazy loud, just guitar trio with drums volume. Maybe check out this speaker if you can and if the weight is OK with you.

Another idea is to have a new bone saddle made for your bridge (and a bone nut if yours is wood) which will brighten up the tone but still keep a woody tone.

EDIT: I looks like you already had the Black Shuck speaker? Hmm. Interesting. I did find mine a bit dark with my laminate/flatwounds/HB guitar until I did the bone mods, but with my carved top/rounds/floater I did not find the amp too dark at all.
    Last edited by coolvinny; 03-20-2017 at 12:08 PM.