The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 179

User Info Menu

Never been much of a fan of peerless but given the poor gibson 175 style guitars from eastman, heritage, d'angelico, etc., i was listening to some peerless 175 style guitars and I think they are the closest I've heard.

Can anyone recommend some good clips that perhaps I have not seen/heard?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

edit - take out inappropriate rant

Last edited by Groyniad; 08-12-2016 at 10:30 AM.

User Info Menu

and i should say - sorry for not answering the question

i bet peerless are great

User Info Menu

The Eastman AR380 JP is pretty doggone nice.

User Info Menu

The Epiphone premium isn't bad. R

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad
    and i should say - sorry for not answering the question

i bet peerless are great
    I have a great 175. Looking for a cheeper substitute for traveling. Don't like putting my vintage 175 through baggage handling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beanctr
    The Epiphone premium isn't bad. R
    I thought it was awful. The eastmans sound nothing like a 175. The tops are too thin and they are nasally. They don't cop any 175 vibe. The clips of the peerless sound much closer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith
    I thought it was awful. The eastmans sound nothing like a 175. The tops are too thin and they are nasally. They don't cop any 175 vibe. The clips of the peerless sound much closer.
    ​If you listen to Rich he talks about the 380 having a thinner top, just like the older 175s, Eastman really touts that. Hey, if it doesn't float YOUR boat so be it.

User Info Menu

best archtop i know that isn't a 175 and is typically cheaper is a gb10

in production since 78 because it works so well.
    Last edited by Groyniad; 08-12-2016 at 10:32 AM.

User Info Menu

docdosco , a player and a member here endorses & sells a few Peerless and you may not yet have tumbled to his site:

https://www.youtube.com/user/docdosc...f_id=0&sort=dd

By the way, try any(Korean, probably Peerless) Guilds?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    ​If you listen to Rich he talks about the 380 having a thinner top, just like the older 175s, Eastman really touts that. Hey, if it doesn't float YOUR boat so be it.
    i have an older 175. The eastman does not cop that vibe at all. It's not a matter of floating my boat. I'm talking about a guitar that cops the 175 vibe. The eastman does not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad
    best archtop i know that isn't a 175 and is typically cheaper is a gb10

in production since 78 because it works so well.
    sounds nothing like a 175 at all though. Not interested in the gb10.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    docdosco , a player and a member here endorses & sells a few Peerless and you may not yet have tumbled to his site:

https://www.youtube.com/user/docdosc...f_id=0&sort=dd

By the way, try any(Korean, probably Peerless) Guilds?
    i have tried some of the korean guilds and thought they sounded amazing.

User Info Menu

I've a new Guild Savoy A150 & love it for many reasons but I doubt it can be recommended as a '175 clone.'

You might like one ultimately because it's good and provides something different.

I regret that I just don't know enough about ES-175's having never owned one and generally always
    preferring single coils, 'probably because I'm a little deaf.

Good luck & keep us posted, please.

User Info Menu

There are Japanese made (Matsumoku and Terada) under several brands, Aria Pro II, Memphis, Bradley, etc. that are very, very close to the ES175. Currently one is in the for-sale section of this forum and it's a jewel. I have no connection of any kind with the seller, btw.

If the Japanese made ES175 copies are as good as their L5ces copies, that would be a very nice guitar indeed. The Aria Pro II PE180 is an incredible copy of the L5ces, just phenomenally good.

We actually have two for sale on the forum. A Tokai FA245VN that looks and sounds great (a video is posted). Also, the Ibanez "Pre-Lawsuit" model 2355 from the 1970's is widely regarded as a splendid copy of the ES175. In fact, you might pay more for a pristine Ibanez 2355 than for some nice ES175s out there!
    Last edited by lawson-stone; 08-12-2016 at 11:20 AM.

User Info Menu

The tokai is a little expensive for a clone IMO considering you can get a real gibson for about $500 more. For my purposes, I'm looking for something closer to the $1000 range for travel. I don't want $2k into a travel guitar.

The herb ellis is very nice. They don't come up very often. The ibanez copy is a couple steps down from the aria and the tokai IMO. I've owned a couple of them. They are nice but are slightly under the Ibanez FG100 in terms of quality and the FG100 is about a step below the 175.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    There are Japanese made (Matsumoku and Terada) under several brands, Aria Pro II, Memphis, Bradley, etc. that are very, very close to the ES175. Currently one is in the for-sale section of this forum and it's a jewel. I have no connection of any kind with the seller, btw.

If the Japanese made ES175 copies are as good as their L5ces copies, that would be a very nice guitar indeed. The Aria Pro II PE180 is an incredible copy of the L5ces, just phenomenally good.

We actually have two for sale on the forum. A Tokai FA245VN that looks and sounds great (a video is posted). Also, the Ibanez "Pre-Lawsuit" model 2355 from the 1970's is widely regarded as a splendid copy of the ES175. In fact, you might pay more for a pristine Ibanez 2355 than for some nice ES175s out there!

User Info Menu

Plus 1 on the PE-180's goodness, sound, craftsmanship, playability! If a '175 interested me I'd be giving a very hard look at that Tokai fa245 in the FS section!

User Info Menu

i wonder if you could get a project-175 from the 70s for 1k - do it up.
    Last edited by Groyniad; 08-12-2016 at 11:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Disagree, Epiphone Premium is the closest IMO--it's got the same kind of "thunk" the 175 Gibson has...

Great Guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    Disagree, Epiphone Premium is the closest IMO--it's got the same kind of "thunk" the 175 Gibson has...

Great Guitar!
    I disagree totally. You can hear in this clip that it doesn't have the thunk of a real 175. (And this is one of the best of nearly a dozen clips I listened to)

Whereas this peerless does.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith

Agentsmith, is that a Peerless Sunset?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Naquat
    Agentsmith, is that a Peerless Sunset?
    yes, i'm wondering if one of their thicker models would sound even more like a 175. Not familiar with their product line and there seems to be a lot of misinformation about them. For example, gng says this is a spruce top when clearly it's maple.

User Info Menu

There's a Sunset and a few Gigmasters (deeper body - ES-175 like) on feebay. I've never played either.

User Info Menu

To my ears the Sunset does not have the 175 thunk, it just has a turned down tone knob. I thought the Epi was closer, anyways, too many unknown variables in amp, strings, recording path to make an informed, just my $.02

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Naquat
    There's a Sunset and a few Gigmasters (deeper body - ES-175 like) on feebay. I've never played either.
    i'd like to find one used.
    Last edited by agentsmith; 08-12-2016 at 12:20 PM.