The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 137 of 137

User Info Menu

Used Gibsons, Used Heritages (built by JP Moats and Marv Lamb) or used Guilds built in Westerly would be my choice. Wait a minute, that is what I play and own. That IS my choice and Vinny, that should be your choice as well.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've heard enough bad stories about Gibson's customer support -- not just in this thread, but as a long-time member at MLP -- that I decided long ago to not buy a new Gibson. If I want a new Gibson-style MiA guitar, I'll buy Heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    That's just lame. When a high end customer complains, it should be a no-brainer that you do whatever you can to make it right as quickly as possible.
    Bus 101, brotha. You pay my bills? I take care of you.
    Last edited by Thumpalumpacus; 08-20-2016 at 02:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Vinny is a Gibson guy ....period.

As Vinny mentioned - he use to go to his favorite Gibson dealer - play a bunch of guitars and buy the perfect one that met his criteria. But buying from a distance is not the same unless you thoroughly trust the person or dealer assessing the instrument to your expectations .

When I go to TMZ , or any other store , I do often find what Vinny is experiencing on many brand instruments - and I hand pick the ones that satisfy my criteria for excellence . When I do - I leave with a great guitar. Number 1 - the necks have to be right !!

Vinny is a perfectionist and will be applying his criteria to any make or model he pursues and will still need to vet through the choices to find one that satisfies his criteria.

In the end I think Vinny will remain a Gibson guy because that tone is etched in his brain and "Only a Gibson is good enough "'to satisfy his tone criteria -it's now just getting the other stuff right for him.

Vinny my friend - if you come across something in the NY area that your interested in - I'll check it out for you - Im pretty certain we both have the same criteria - and I can be your eyes and ears.

You are a good man Steve !!! Thanks buddy. That Guild you QC'd for me was perfect. I gave it to my son trying to get him to play something other than rock n roll. I will take you up on your offer and yes you are right. Gibson is unfortunately my sound. My love/hate relationship will continue:-).

User Info Menu

There are so many used Gibson on the market, many of them already set in and showing their shortcoming if any.
    We still can be Gibson fanboy and enjoy them, we just need to pick the right ones.
    There is just no need to feed Henry's greed anymore.
    Gibson must continue to produce new guitars even we don't need to buy them, they just keep the price lower on 2nd hand good ones

User Info Menu

Not a word...my ex Gibson Es-175 2012!!

Gibson Crimson shop Quality Control-dsc_0012-jpgGibson Crimson shop Quality Control-dsc_0016-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm no expert, but something is wrong. That looks like exactly what Vinny's been talking about, but only more exaggerated. It looks more like what Evel Knievel would ride his bike down than a guitar neck. Wow.

User Info Menu

Here's my recommendation: DannyW can keep someone hip deep in top shelf Gibsons for quite some time. He is selling amazing stuff.

Somebody should set up a URL redirect so when we type in Rainbow or The Zoo...we are led to Danny's for sale stuff. His Citation, Kalamazoo Award, etc., are simply superb instruments. Nudge him and I bet an L-5 or two will move off the sofa, too.

User Info Menu

always difficult to diagnose via online snaps, but that neck looks twisted...not bowed or something that can be fixed with trussrod adjustments..or even a reset...another example of improperly cured (new) woods being used on guitars nowadays...in the 40's guitars were made with pristine old growth timber...nowadays much is farmed and artificially nurtured...

sad looking neck...terrible

tho i will ad, might not have left factory that way..

cheers

User Info Menu

Ok - enough negative comments on Gibson Custom / Crimson . How about some positive - like this nearly perfect fret plane on that beautiful L5p ( from Gibson Crimson) in the for sale section.

User Info Menu

Very twisted! Impossible to correct with the trussrod...it was necessary a change of fingerboard...to sell the guitar. Now i have a new 175 and it is ok! Photo with the new ebony fingerboard...it was sold! Sorry for my bad english...its not my language!

Gibson Crimson shop Quality Control-sam_0252-jpg

User Info Menu

hah..new fingerboard was needed!... and i'm sure that neck itself had to be re-planed before new fingerboard was placed on it..to try to offset twist...lets just hope it stabilized...

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 08-21-2016 at 10:19 PM. Reason: clarity