The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 83

User Info Menu

I bought this to have a guitar in standard pitch to use for teaching but it's turned out to be much more. This is just a terrific instrument. It's light weight, well balanced, and comfortable. Because the end of the neck is raised above the body, I'm even able to leave the pickguard on without concern of constantly bumping into it (I've been removing the pickguard from archtops since I was about 11 years old).

Unplugged it's not very loud and it's quite thin but it has a wonderful amplified voice. It never feels like I'm playing a cheap version of some iconic model, but rather a unique instrument with it's own special voice.

Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin II-kingpinfulllengthreduced-jpgGodin 5th Avenue Kingpin II-kingpintopreduced-jpgGodin 5th Avenue Kingpin II-kingpinneckjointandguardreduced-jpgGodin 5th Avenue Kingpin II-kingpinelevatedneckjointreduced-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This Godin sounds very good!
    Congrats.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Sounds great! Very balanced and clear. And it looks nice!

Jim, a little off topic, but your demo videos always look and sound great. Could you say a word about how you do them? Do you record audio and video separately? If so, what do you do to link them? I've been recording computer audio for years, but have only just started to dip my toe into video.

User Info Menu

I really appreciate how Godin makes their guitars without any half assed frills. Great instruments.

User Info Menu

Workingmen's guitars made in North America!

Interestingly, at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix there were displays on various national instruments--in fact on virtually every country in the world--showing some of their iconic instruments. The Canada exhibit featured a Godin KP 2 in burst. It really looked great on the display board.

User Info Menu

I've been talking the Kingpin up here for years. They're great guitars.

Lots of folks think they look "cheap," with the satin finish and all...I disagree...to me, nothing looks cheaper than chintzy gold plating and fake abalone...

User Info Menu

Looks and sounds really nice. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I've been talking the Kingpin up here for years. They're great guitars.

Lots of folks think they look "cheap," with the satin finish and all...I disagree...to me, nothing looks cheaper than chintzy gold plating and fake abalone...
    Agreed. They have the opposite approach from Ibanez who makes guitars that look amazing from 20 feet away but when you look at them up close you see the thick plasticy coating, cheap gold plating, and chinsy appointments. They still sound great but I prefer the stripped down look of Godins more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dingusmingus
    Sounds great! Very balanced and clear. And it looks nice!

Jim, a little off topic, but your demo videos always look and sound great. Could you say a word about how you do them? Do you record audio and video separately? If so, what do you do to link them? I've been recording computer audio for years, but have only just started to dip my toe into video.
    Sure.

The sound and video are recorded at the same time but with the sound going into my recording software on my computer while I'm recording the video on the camera.

The raw video part is pretty straight forward. Mostly it's just lots of light and a camera on a tripod. For years it was just a point and shoot Canon and more recently my wife got a Nikon 3300. When you see me in front of a black backdrop, that's just a velvet remnant from the local fabric store that I bought for $10 and stapled to a long piece of dowl. If my wife's around, she'll help me set up the camera angle and distance but if she's not, I can usually figure it out just by doing a few basic tests and checking them on the camera.

I record the sound just like I would any other recording. In the case of this video I have two mics on my speaker cab recording on separate tracks and I can pick one or the other (or both) after I'm done. In the past I've also used a Pod HD instead of an amp. I like the sound of a mic on an amp but the Pod is way easier and more consistent.

After I have the raw video and sound recorded, I edit and mix the sound recording (another topic that I can go into if you like) and I transfer the movie file from the camera to the computer. From there I load the video file into a video editing program and trim both ends so I have just the performance. Then I move the mixed sound recording into the video software and line it up so it matches the sound from the video file, The video software shows the sound in a bar underneath the video so it's just a matter of dragging it around with the mouse a bit and listening to the two together. Once I'm sure that the sound from both sources match, I mute the sound on the video itself so now all you here is the recording from the computer with no sound from the camera. I then use the video editing software add titles and transitions to the beginning and end of the video and then output it as a finished video.

I used to use a Mac for both sound and video editing (very old versions of Garageband for sound and iMovie for video
    editing). Now I have a PC that I use as my main computer so I also do sound and video on that using Audacity for sound and MovieMaker for video editing. Garageband and iMovie are both free programs that came with the computer. Audacity is a free recording package that you can download from their site. MovieMaker used to be free with Windows. They've discontinued it but you can download it for free from Microsoft as part of a package of old utilities.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Sure.

The sound and video are recorded at the same time but with the sound going into my recording software on my computer while I'm recording the video on the camera.
    Jim this is extremely helpful, thanks! I guess wasn't sure what kind of camera was necessary (I didn't think of shooting video with an SLR--my wife has one) and I didn't know how to sync the video and audio.

I will play around with this some. I'm on a PC and use Reaper. I'll check out MovieMaker.

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dingusmingus
    Jim this is extremely helpful, thanks! I guess wasn't sure what kind of camera was necessary (I didn't think of shooting video with an SLR--my wife has one) and I didn't know how to sync the video and audio.

I will play around with this some. I'm on a PC and use Reaper. I'll check out MovieMaker.

Thanks again!
    No problem. Here's the link for MovieMaker Movie Maker - Microsoft Windows (it used to be hideously bad but it's actually pretty good now).

User Info Menu

Another guitar to gas for, thanks Jim (and Jeff). I think they look great.

User Info Menu

Looks good on you, sounds good on you and beautifully played.

Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Nicely played! I love the sound of that guitar, so organic.

If I didn't already have a 5th Avenue, I'd be GASing for this one. I miss the P90--great pickup for that guitar.

What amp are you playing through? (Unless I missed it somewhere in your discussion.)

User Info Menu

congrats..besides being north american made (and using locally harvested woods) and at a great price point

the specs reveal some innovative yet clever features...from the use of cherry wood (attributes below). silver leaf maple for neck and organic french polish like finish...also graphtec bridge saddles..

some nice well thought out touches

specs-

Canadian Wild Cherry archtop
    Canadian Wild cherry back & sides
    Silver Leaf maple neck
    Contoured high-gloss black headstock
    Custom Polished Finish reminiscent of the
    french polish of the 19th century
    Rosewood Fingerboard
    Adjustable Tusq Bridge by Graphtech
    Cream Binding
    2x Godin Kingpin P90 single-coil pickups
    3-way toggle switch, 1x Volume, 1x Tone
    16" (406 mm) fingerboard radius
    24.84" (630 mm) Scale
    1.72" (43,7 mm) nut width
    Colors: Cognac Burst, Black, Natural & Burgundy

from the forrest products lab WOOD handbook
    Cherry, Black
    Black cherry (
    Prunus serotina) is sometimes known as
    cherry, wild black cherry, and wild cherry. It is the only
    native species of the genus Prunus of commercial importance
    for lumber production. Black cherry is found from southeastern
    Canada throughout the eastern half of the United States.
    Production is centered chiefly in the Middle Atlantic States.
    The heartwood of black cherry varies from light to dark
    reddish brown and has a distinctive luster. The nearly white
    sapwood is narrow in old-growth trees and wider in secondgrowth
    trees. The wood has a fairly uniform texture and very
    good machining properties. It is moderately heavy, strong,
    stiff, and moderately hard; it has high shock resistance and
    moderately high shrinkage. Black cherry is very dimensionally
    stable after drying.
    Black cherry is used principally for furniture, fine veneer
    panels, and architectural woodwork.

enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Nicely played! I love the sound of that guitar, so organic.

If I didn't already have a 5th Avenue, I'd be GASing for this one. I miss the P90--great pickup for that guitar.

What amp are you playing through? (Unless I missed it somewhere in your discussion.)
    A Gallien Krueger MB200 powering an Earcandy Ethan 1x10 cab. I have a TC Electronics Arena reverb pedal in front of it and it was recorded with an SM57.

Very nice Jim. Sounds like you found just what you were looking for. Always enjoy your playing. Just got a Pod HD Desktop and am looking forward to incorporating it into simple video productions like you produce. Seems like a great tool. Might have to aquire a 5th avenue too. You make it sing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhoadsscholar
    Very nice Jim. Sounds like you found just what you were looking for. Always enjoy your playing. Just got a Pod HD Desktop and am looking forward to incorporating it into simple video productions like you produce. Seems like a great tool. Might have to aquire a 5th avenue too. You make it sing.
    Did you get the patches I sent you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I bought this to have a guitar in standard pitch to use for teaching but it's turned out to be much more. This is just a terrific instrument. It's light weight, well balanced, and comfortable. Because the end of the neck is raised above the body, I'm even able to leave the pickguard on without concern of constantly bumping into it (I've been removing the pickguard from archtops since I was about 11 years old).

Unplugged it's not very loud and it's quite thin but it has a wonderful amplified voice. It never feels like I'm playing a cheap version of some iconic model, but rather a unique instrument with it's own special voice.

Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin II-kingpinfulllengthreduced-jpgGodin 5th Avenue Kingpin II-kingpintopreduced-jpgGodin 5th Avenue Kingpin II-kingpinneckjointandguardreduced-jpgGodin 5th Avenue Kingpin II-kingpinelevatedneckjointreduced-jpg
    That's as a nice a tone as I've heard from any of your demos. But I suppose it's the indian, not the arrow

User Info Menu

Great tone Jim - that's the best sound I've heard coming from a 5th Avenue, - including my own, which I foolishly flipped for an Ibanez (also now gone). Previous posters have asked you most of the details, but one last one - what strings are you using ?

Thanks

Andy

User Info Menu

I too want to say thanks, the tone was great, the playing is always great! I was curious about your choice of head, Gallien Krueger MB200, and not wanting to hijack this thread for its origional purpose, have started a separate thread. If anyone cares to comment or elaborate please do so. Thanks once again Jim, sounded great!

User Info Menu

Just beautiful, Jim. Congratulations on expectations exceeded, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    That's as a nice a tone as I've heard from any of your demos. But I suppose it's the indian, not the arrow
    Agreed--the online demos on this guitar are TERRIBLE! Bright icepicky tone in all of them, usually with some guy playing "the blooz."

Jim's demo is what the guitar actually sounds like. And we get to hear his nice playing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    ........ Previous posters have asked you most of the details, but one last one - what strings are you using ?

Thanks

Andy
    He noted it in his You Tube upload:

"The guitar was strung with Thomastic Infeld Swing Series 12's."

User Info Menu

Beautiful sound and playing.