The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 144

User Info Menu

Nice guitar, Joaopaz, a classic workhorse. I had the 490R/498T combination in a LP Studio and liked it very much. Plus the TI 12s, one could think that you are set for nice tones. I had a friend who toured the world for years backing a tango singer with a Gibson SG.

In 2004 I bought an SG Special for my daughter, did a quick setup and played it all afternoon, and was very pleased with the sound and also with the lightness you noticed. That was the last time I played an SG.

But the GAS for one is always there.

Congratulations!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Early Bill on an SG. Gotta love it...so inventive...

Wow, man.... this is so good. Frisell is so unique, everything he plays is really moving. His "Surfer Girl" rendition comes to mind - sometimes when he plays I just want to sit down and cry .. of joy!

Thanks for sharing that! (straight into my favorites)

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gcb
    Nice guitar, Joaopaz, a classic workhorse. I had the 490R/498T combination in a LP Studio and liked it very much. Plus the TI 12s, one could think that you are set for nice tones. I had a friend who toured the world for years backing a tango singer with a Gibson SG.

In 2004 I bought an SG Special for my daughter, did a quick setup and played it all afternoon, and was very pleased with the sound and also with the lightness you noticed. That was the last time I played an SG.

But the GAS for one is always there.

Congratulations!
    Thank you, GCB.
    This was a classic case of GAS! But it turned out to be a very successful one and I can definitely see myself playing this guitar a lot in years to come.

I had the Epiphone version, the SG-400, for a short time and really liked it. You could felt some of this character on the Epi. There's something unique about the SG that I can't yet define. It's a workhorse, yes - good definition - but at the same time is so classy and "elegant"

As far as I know, after the 2015 frenzy for "guitar tuning" in Gibson, these 2016 models were a kind of back to the origins. It had nice features, the 2015... the 57s, the slightly larger fretboard on the outside edges to prevent the string to fall out, but some other stuff was too much.... and it felt odd for me to have Les Paul's hologram, and his name on the headstock too, on a guitar he really didn't like.

Me, on the contrary, am loving this baby

User Info Menu

I used to have one or more SGs. My fav one was a 1963 Standard Les Paul (SG model).
    A couple of months ago I swapped her for a nice L5CT.

Why no love for the Gibson SG?-dsc00169-jpg

User Info Menu

I could only think of a few names most people should recognize that aren't straight up rock. Les Paul and Mary Ford at least had promo shots with them. Allan Holdsworth played and recorded with an SG for sometime. If you count the ES1275 as an SG, John McLaughlin used that version. Another iconic nontraditional musician that played an SG styled guitar was Frank Zappa. I started on an SG and she is still my #1 for straight ahead rock. She has a great voice.

User Info Menu

Early days. I loved that guitar. I had a 1967 SG Standard. You can't see it well in this photo. It was stolen in 1983.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Some of my favorite tones ever have come from an SG, but they just feel too strange to me. A while back I had a new SG come thru for a setup. It was a cool guitar. The neck felt great and the neck pickup sounded great, but it still hung in a weird way that I don't think I could get used to. I ended up getting a PRS Mira Semi-hollow that has a bit of SG/LP Jr vibe, but feels more natural to me.

User Info Menu

I don't have one anymore but the SG shape is still one of my favorites. I may get another one someday.

My one and only SG was purchased in early 1970 when I was in high school. It was a few years old, so it was 'just a used guitar' back then. No one paid any attention to serial numbers or cared about when it was made back in those days. It was just 'used' so it was a lot less expensive than a new guitar.

If I still had that SG today........

User Info Menu

The SG always felt great to me. It was very fast. I don't know what that means except I could play very fast on it. Great neck. I don't think I liked how it sounded, but on those days it could've been my amp and pedals that were bad.

User Info Menu

I like the way they play too. Soft feel. Is that due to a short scale?

But I have to confess. I don't know why, but I could never quite fall in love with a double-horned guitar. The SG or the Barney Kessel or the Johnny A. Or the Yamaha SG2000. Maybe it's the satanic thing. It's a shame, because I often love the way these guitars sound.

There. I said it.

Maybe I'll find a therapist to work with me on that in the New Year.

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    Some of my favorite tones ever have come from an SG, but they just feel too strange to me. A while back I had a new SG come thru for a setup. It was a cool guitar. The neck felt great and the neck pickup sounded great, but it still hung in a weird way that I don't think I could get used to. I ended up getting a PRS Mira Semi-hollow that has a bit of SG/LP Jr vibe, but feels more natural to me.
    Yep, that's why I mentioned it is not my most comfortable guitar. But, at the same time, she has something that makes me want to adjust.. The SG feels very nice for stand up playing, no issues there. When sitting it's perfect for mid/high range access - but sometimes, so far, I'm pushing the guitar closer to me when going to the lower range zone.

But I'm not fighting the guitar at all. It's a real pleasure to play 8-)

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I like the way they play too. Soft feel. Is that due to a short scale?

But I have to confess. I don't know why, but I could never quite fall in love with a double-horned guitar. The SG or the Barney Kessel or the Johnny A. Or the Yamaha SG2000. Maybe it's the satanic thing. It's a shame, because I often love the way these guitars sound.

There. I said it.

Maybe I'll find a therapist to work with me on that in the New Year.
    Maybe it's the shorter scale ... plus the neck profile, in my case.
    I never managed to get this softness from one of my Teles, for instance. They can play great for sure but it's another thing... they can be really easy but not as soft, as you mentioned.

Funny thing, there was a time when the double horned design bothered me some, too But then when you "interact" with it, it just feels like a very friendly gal.

I'd say.... save on the therapist sessions and get an SG instead

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Thank you! I've been playing two consistently for the last many years. My main guitar is a Gibson 355 (1979) and a Strat Plus Fender proto-type built for me by Fender. I also play a Taylor 414 acoustic.
    Sounds like a well balanced roster .. and, while we're at it, (if I may ask) what strings do you use on the electrics, same set on both?
    I was close to settle on the D'Addario EJ21 (round wound, wound G) for an all purpose/all guitars set, but I'm always going back to the Thomastik Infeld 12s
    You mentioned a 355 and a Strat - that's why I'm asking; still have the EJ21s on my G&L Strat (that I reeeeally like, too!)

...and by the way, is the 355 the old Emily Remler's model?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joaopaz
    Sounds like a well balanced roster .. and, while we're at it, (if I may ask) what strings do you use on the electrics, same set on both?
    I was close to settle on the D'Addario EJ21 (round wound, wound G) for an all purpose/all guitars set, but I'm always going back to the Thomastik Infeld 12s
    You mentioned a 355 and a Strat - that's why I'm asking; still have the EJ21s on my G&L Strat (that I reeeeally like, too!)

Thanks I have no idea what Remler played.

I put 12s on the Gibson and 11s on the Strat. Round. I have half flat in the 355 now but I don't like them.

Last edited by henryrobinett; 12-19-2016 at 10:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Anyway, I'm really happy with this guitar! So, any similar experiences with SGs from the forum members here?
    The fact that you're happy with it says it all.

Don't ask the members here about finding happiness in a guitar. It's like asking Elizabeth Taylor what the secret to a lasting marriage is or Keith Richards advice on sobriety.

User Info Menu

Yep, that's why I mentioned it is not my most comfortable guitar. But, at the same time, she has something that makes me want to adjust.. The SG feels very nice for stand up playing, no issues there. When sitting it's perfect for mid/high range access - but sometimes, so far, I'm pushing the guitar closer to me when going to the lower range zone.

But I'm not fighting the guitar at all. It's a real pleasure to play 8-)
    Transitioning from my Les Paul to an SG, it took me a while to get used to where the neck is -- it's further to the left, and I had to adjust my playing position. But the tonal variety an SG provides made it totally worth it -- the thing will get close to a Tele with the right settings and right-hand position, do a reasonable Les Paul tone in the middle position, and while it can't deliver hollowbody tone, it's still good for jazz and blues.

I may once again own a Lester, but I'm an SG guy, any more.
    Last edited by Thumpalumpacus; 12-19-2016 at 11:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Emily played an ES-330 before she switched to Borys. The 330 is a hollowbody with 16 frets to the body (usually, although Gibson has sometimes made them with the same 19 frets as the 355), while the ES-355 is a semi and is more upscale than the 330, with more binding, MOP inlays, ebony fretboard (Richlite recently), gold hardware and (often but not always) Vari-tone and a vibrato tailpiece.

Now, back to SG's.

Danny W.

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Thanks I have no idea what Remler played.

I put 12s on the Gibson and 11s on the Strat. Round. I have half flat in the 355 now but I don't like them.

I tried the half rounds a couple of times and couldn't bond, either. The first contact with the strings I always feel like they're "wet", it's an unpleasant reaction; after some time playing I get over it - but then I don't find the things I like on flatwounds nor the things I like on the round wounds

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    The fact that you're happy with it says it all.

Don't ask the members here about finding happiness in a guitar. It's like asking Elizabeth Taylor what the secret to a lasting marriage is or Keith Richards advice on sobriety.
    Just looking back at all the guitars lining up behind me right now - I know exactly what you mean ... so when one gets serious playing time and makes me forget about all the others for a long, steady period, it makes it even a more serious case for that guitar.

...and I'm typing and the SG in on my lap

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberkrunk
    I got my Cherry SG Standard in 2003 from Manny's, and I still love it. It's always been a rock guitar for me but I've been thinking of playing some jazz on it. I really never cared for the 490R/498T though, especially the T. A few years later, it went in to 30th Street Guitars for a setup. Matt called me and said, "Uhm, would you like for me to replace your broken pickup?" "Broken pickup?" "Yes, the bridge is putting out, like 10% the power that it should." Well that was embarrassing but explained a lot

He put in the Seymour Duncan Jazz / JB combination, and they are lovely! I think I'll put it back into rotation-only have four out at a time!

Cheers!
    Great story!
    Could you tell me exact model of those PUs?

So get that SG to play some jazz! Playing chords in mine is really a great feeling, very light feeling and responsive at the same time.

User Info Menu

I still have my 1969 Std. I bought in the early 1980's It was $375.00 and I thought I overpaid for it...maybe not.Why no love for the Gibson SG?-img_5028-jpg Thanks John

User Info Menu

I also have a 1966 SG Jr. I just screams rock and roll.Why no love for the Gibson SG?-img_5026-jpg
    Thanks again John

User Info Menu

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by powerwagonjohn
    I also have a 1966 SG Jr. I just screams rock and roll.
    Thanks again John
    Wow, John, you sure have a couple of beauties there! Wonderful looking guitars.
    That's '69, $375 you said? From what I see around today you could get easilly 10 times more for it?

joaopaz Guest
    ....and I hope you don't mind the double post - since I added this video yesterday to the "practical standards" thread.
    (also forgive some mistakes )
    But this is the guitar in question - I'm still in full honeymoon drive, with no signal of getting slower anytime soon!

In you'd care to know it's stringed with TI .012s (flats). It's going through a Roland Cube 60 and I'm using the "rec out" to send the signal to my mixing console (small Alesis FX8 multimix) .. then, as I'm on Linux and the Alesis is not class 2 compliant (I think this is the term) the USB can't be used so I'm sending the signal straight to the laptop via the mic plug input. EQ is flat all over, and the Reverb is from the Alesis.