The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

If this has been presented before please direct me to the thread.I need suggestion on a cheap amp and head phones.So i can practice amped.I practice mainly with a Laminate archtop.I see a little 70+ dollar Vox but i dont know what to look for such as head room etc.The bride has extreme sensitivity/anxiety issues.The only example i have seen was in a movie scene Where Robert Downey Jr.Was playing Sherlock Holms and a scene where he is in a restaurant where he closes his eyes and can perceive everything.I can only take her out for breif priods of time.So just something cheap to help me to fine tune my playing when amplified.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fender Mustang amp inexpensive especilly used. and sound great with or with out head phones. Roland cubes great too!

User Info Menu

do you have a computer with sound card? iPhone or iPad? If you have an Apple product then Garage Band comes with amp simulators.

User Info Menu

Vox Amplug 2 perhaps? I had a couple of them, and they sounded pretty good (the only reason I got rid of them, is because I realized that I'm not a big fan of headphone amps in general). They come in 4 different voicings, but realize that they are not going to be glassy clean Jazz Chorus, Mini Brute, or Fender Twin.

amPlug 2 Guitar/Bass Headphone Amplifiers

You also might look into one of the teeny weeny solid state Fenders. They have headphone jacks, and cost around $60.

Mini Amps | Fender Accessories

The Roland Micro Cube (which I almost bought a couple of years ago), also has a headphone out provision. I've seen used ones going for around $50.

Roland Micro Cube GX - 3W 1x5' Guitar Combo Amp | Sweetwater.com
    Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 07-11-2016 at 03:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    do you have a computer with sound card? iPhone or iPad? If you have an Apple product then Garage Band comes with amp simulators.
    Yes, but you have to get the signal into the iPad from your guitar. Sonic Port, iRig, etc. They are fun things to have, but cost as much as a small solid state amp. Way more versatile, however. Definitely a route to consider, unless you are not interested in using tech gadgets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I use an iPad and headphones more than I do a "real" amp. A Focusrite iTrack Dock is the interface and various amp sim apps like Bias or ToneStack.

I've gone through too many practice amps to count. Including headphone amps. I always come back to a Roland micro cube. Super reliable, amazing sound, headphone amp, runs forever on batteries if you want, headphone out, and you can even plug in an MP3 player in the aux in and bring it to the next BBQ if you want. People are always amazed by how good it sounds and loud it can go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

$40 for an iRig2, plug it into an iPhone with GarageBand, then earphones.

How about headphones?

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlBrother
    How about headphones?
    Sennheiser HD 202 II - inexpensive, but they sound great.

User Info Menu

Plug in anything with a standard 1/8" miniplug - earphones, headphones, same plug as in the phone is what the iRig2 has.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalmojo
    I've gone through too many practice amps to count. Including headphone amps. I always come back to a Roland micro cube. Super reliable, amazing sound, headphone amp, runs forever on batteries if you want, headphone out, and you can even plug in an MP3 player in the aux in and bring it to the next BBQ if you want. People are always amazed by how good it sounds and loud it can go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Old video, but I like the look of this:

User Info Menu

I bought a $20 thing for practice at work. It works:
    https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Guitar.../dp/B00CK2DM7Y

Headphone practice amp?-ja-03-td-2-jpg

Thanks all.Im really attracted to the Vox pathfinder 10 Anybody try one i am just trying to set something up in my prasctice area.I maybe making a bigger deal of it then it is.I feel like if i dont do it right it will be like ear training on a out of tune guitar.But i am sorrowfully limited due to funds.So the little Vox is like 70.+ and the headphones D mentioned might be it.If i ever get close to civilization i will try to compare it with a roland mini.anyway any experience with the Vox would be helpful.Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Old video, but I like the look of this:
    Oh, the microcube is just outstanding. I use mine all the time for teaching, playing at work, in my car while driving, in the backyard, everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlBrother
    Thanks all.Im really attracted to the Vox pathfinder 10 Anybody try one i am just trying to set something up in my prasctice area.I maybe making a bigger deal of it then it is.I feel like if i dont do it right it will be like ear training on a out of tune guitar.But i am sorrowfully limited due to funds.So the little Vox is like 70.+ and the headphones D mentioned might be it.If i ever get close to civilization i will try to compare it with a roland mini.anyway any experience with the Vox would be helpful.Thanks
    I've tried the Vox at my local store. I was hoping that I play through something that was new and exciting. While it was good it just reaffirmed my long lasting love for the Roland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks every one Mr.B.I use to do my studies while driving, back when books were the thing.Looks like reverb has one for 60.bucks.Going to the bank today to straighten out a C.fraud on my accounts.Should a took that trip with cash.Oh by the way Reverb is closed till i buy that Mini Cube so dont bother .LOL

User Info Menu

I wish I could track down this picture. In a 1968 copy of Guitar Player Magazine--subsequently republished later in the 70s--there was an ad for a headphone practice amp that featured Wes Montgomery sitting on a stool playing his Gibson L-5 into the appliance. The amp was, as I recall, contained within the 60's style headphones...coiled cord and everything.

I'm sure I have a copy of that picture in my old GPs, but I'm too lazy to thumb through all of the (now boxed) copies to find it.

Oh man!! I love all classic stuff a poster of that would inspire me for decades!Come think of it i was at book fair probably 13+ years ago and there was box of GPs for free.I took them some where in the basement.Thanks Greentone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dingusmingus
    I bought a $20 thing for practice at work. It works:
    https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Guitar.../dp/B00CK2DM7Y

Headphone practice amp?-ja-03-td-2-jpg
    This looks like the sort of thing I'm looking for. Are the clean tones any good?

User Info Menu

If you can find a Korg Pandora PX3, PX4 family, PX5 family, or Mini (all out of production, might be available used) you'll have a useful practice device. For all of them, you can plug in a player via a 1/8" and play along.

User Info Menu

Also if you want EFX and a lot of control.

POD XT with modeling OFF "no amp" position on the Amp Type Knob gives you:

Access to all EFX saveable and tweakable including all the Cabinet Models and a final semi parametric EQ to tweak the Cabs even further .

Without the Amp Models this has a clean nice output thru the headphones
    AND if you use a good tube Guitar Preamp you can get full Pro warm tube tones into phones or almost anything with no dependence on needing volume.

The Delays and Reverbs are quite good and quiet on these...just avoid the Modeling the Cabs are cool though.

Can't beat it for $50. to $90.

Surprisingly- if you keep the input low in volume [ the Pod is made for Guitar input not line level input]- but there is some Headroom at the Input- it's clean so if you input a nice Tube Guitar Preamp -it will sound like the Tubes.
    If you plug in an Archtop- it will sound like one IF the Modeling is OFF.

You may have luck with the Models but won't come close to Tube Preamps and
    Modeling OFF works for clean tones even without a Tube Pre.

If you have a good Guitar Tube Preamp
    you can't beat this Rig for $500.

Until you get to Amplifire at about $600.
    maybe....

Pod XT has a good headphone Amp..
    and lots of useable delays and reverbs, etc.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 07-21-2016 at 11:41 PM.

In the words of Jason Nesmith of Galaxy Quest "Ok we'll do that!"

User Info Menu

Get some cheap, but optimized soundcard with Hi Z, and you could get by even without that. Then install Reaper if you are a Windows user. There are some great guitar amp simulation plugins out there that are free, you just have to Google them, like the Simulanalog amp suite, LePou stuff etc. Or if you are a Linux user you could check out Rakarrack and Guitarix. It could take a day or two to optimize your pc for realtime playing, but once it's done, I think that no headphone amp could top that, plus you could read sheet music, watch YouTube lessons while you play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aleksandar
    Or if you are a Linux user you could check out Rakarrack and Guitarix.
    I believe that Reaper works on Linux with Wine.