The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 81

User Info Menu

I'm planning on buying one of these two amps, but I'm hesitant due to the transportation issues of the Twin Reverb (weight) and the headroom on the Deluxe Reverb (from what I've read, it only stays clean up to about volume level 4?). I would to love to hear some thoughts and opinions on these two amps.

I would never use these amps at home, so bedroom volume isn't an issue. I will mostly be rehearsing and playing gigs with a quartet.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What kind of quartet? How loud? What size of rooms you play? How loud is the room? Do you own a car and can you unload at the door of the venues you play? You want your tone to be absolutely clean? Do you mind some 'hair' on your tone?

I have a Twin Reverb that I love to death because it always delivers and covers all volume situations (but it's too heavy to take to venues that can't be reached by car). I have played a Deluxe on several occasions and I find that amp also great if volume levels don't get too high, and that's mostly defined by how loud the drummer is, the size of the room and how loud the audience is.

I have played the Deluxe in bars with a loud audience (students drinking beer ) and drummers using sticks and hitting it hard and I ran into the limitations of the Deluxe's headroom: you will get (quite) some hair on your tone, but you might like that.

I also have a Blues Deluxe amp (2x 6L6GC, about 35 watts) that I like better in terms of power (also in terms of tone, but mine is modified and can't be compared to a production one), personally I feel a 2x6L6 power amp is the minimum to get a clean tone - from a tube amp - in most situations.

(Due to the circuit changes in my Blues Deluxe it is now more a BF Deluxe Reverb with a 6L6-poweramp).
    Last edited by Little Jay; 07-07-2016 at 05:59 AM.

User Info Menu

On second thought, for your consideration:

* the Deluxe Reverb is not a light amp either: you can't carry it very long and it's too heavy to take on public transport, so you would actually need the same conditions as for a Twin: a car and guarantee you can drive up to the front door of the venue to unload

* the Deluxe Reverb is only slightly smaller than a Twin, so they take about the same space on stage

* a Twin still sounds good on low volumes, even with the volume on "1" (i don't agree with people that say a tube amp needs a certain minimum volume to sound good)

Taking this into account: I would go for a Twin (oh wait, I already did!)
    Last edited by Little Jay; 07-07-2016 at 05:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Qreedence
    Greetings!

I'm planning on buying one of these two amps, but I'm hesitant due to the transportation issues of the Twin Reverb (weight) and the headroom on the Deluxe Reverb (from what I've read, it only stays clean up to about volume level 4?). I would to love to hear some thoughts and opinions on these two amps.

I would never use these amps at home, so bedroom volume isn't an issue. I will mostly be rehearsing and playing gigs with a quartet.
    If you are young you might not mind carrying the Twin. But it's weight will eventually get at you, this is just a matter of time (unless you make it big and can employ someone carrying it for you ;-))

I guess the Deluxe would be okay if you can use it miked to a house PA but if not you might miss volume.

IMHO the basic question is: do you really need one of these two - aren't there any other options?

User Info Menu

Your ideal choice would be the amp Fender never made - a small 1x12 (princeton or deluxe cab), one-channel blackface, 2x 6l6 40w amp. Several builders in the US do that - like the Gries 35. In Europe it's a little harder, but any decent tech could build one... It won't be much more expensive than a Twin and you'll get a great portable loud amp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Your ideal choice would be the amp Fender never made - a small 1x12 (princeton or deluxe cab),

Actually there are two Fender limited edition versions of the Princeton Reverb with 12" speaker.

Fender Limited Edition '65 Princeton Reverb 15W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp Bordeaux Reserve

Fender '65 Princeton Reverb Navy Blues Limited Edition 15W Tube Guitar Amplifier, 1x12"

Fender 65 Twin Reverb RI / 65 Deluxe Reverb RI-fender-limited-edition-65-princeton-reverb-15w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp-bordeaux-reserve-0-1-jpgFender 65 Twin Reverb RI / 65 Deluxe Reverb RI-2_382c32b0-7bdc-41df-8362-2f8bf8267063-jpg

User Info Menu

Yes but still 15w 6v6, even worst than the DR... 40w 6l6 is ideal.

User Info Menu

The last thing you want is a Princeton if you want giggable cleans!

To play with my improv ensemble (drum kit, another electric guitar, electric bass, tenor sax) my My PRRI needed to be dimed to be heard and it was a big hairball. If you think the DRRI won't do it clean, the PRRI will drown.

Why is the 40watt Vibrolux not being considered -- seems the perfect fit and is barely heavier than a Deluxe (I had them both; still have the Vibrolux).

Good luck!

-Chris

User Info Menu

Another option to take a look at is the new Fender Bassbreaker 18/30 combo. 2x12. EL84s. Channel 1 is a 30 watt blackface Deluxe Reverb circuit; channel 2 is based on an 18 brown face Deluxe.

I myself have the '65 Deluxe Reverb. It more than meets my needs. A number of American contacts have borrowed this amp for gigs in London, preferring it to the Hot Rod Deluxes and Twin Reverbs that are typical club back line. For quartet club gigs, where the band is mic'd, it's plenty.
    Last edited by David B; 07-07-2016 at 09:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Twin plus ...

User Info Menu

65 Twin Reverb RI / 65 Deluxe Reverb RI

What are you currently using?

User Info Menu

Here are some thoughts.

(1) I am in my early 60s and broke my back as a youth. I don't relish carrying amps any more than the next person. However, I use flight cases for all of my amps. the handles and wheels make transport less of a problem. (If I lived in NYC and had to use public transport, rather than my SUV, all bets would be off.) I find that I can move all amps--up to the size of the Fender Twin Reverb without undue problems.

(2) ALL Fender amps for guitars (tube models) are clean up to about 4-5. That's the nature of audio taper volume pots. After about 4-5, things start to get...interesting. Well...there are a couple of Fender tube amps that stay clean beyond the 4-5 tipping point. They are the Twin Reverb and the old Showman Amp. (in all of its guises) You can get those two to distort, but you have to work at it, more than most Fender amps.

(3) If you are interested in having a Fender amp that is capable of good, clean power AND a great distortion sound--with significant volume--you should look at the Fender '59 Bassman or the Super Reverb.

(4) If you are interested in CLEAN and VOLUME, then it's the Twin Reverb.

(5) If you want a very versatile Fender amp that has a great clean sound, a great distortion sound, portability, and volume enough for venues up to clubs that seat about 75 people or so, try the Deluxe Reverb. I used this amp for years.

(6) If you want (5) but are interested in a particularly sweet sounding Fender amp, I recommend the Fender Princeton Reverb. This is perhaps the most surprising amp you will run across ever.

User Info Menu

Fender puts under powered speakers in both the Princeton and Deluxe. This was done from the beginning as both models were "practice" amps by design. The Twin was a pro level amp and came with speakers to match.

Back in the day that these amps were designed, most venues did not have PA's so a guitarists needed to bring an amp that could do the job.

My first Fender Tube amp was a 1970 Twin with JBL speakers (I bought it in 1974). It was loud and clean. But it was heavy (even for my then 16 year old self) and within a year I sold it. I have never had another Twin since, nor do I want one.

I have had several Princetons and Deluxes over the years. I tried both the PRRI reissue and the DRRI reissue. I was not pleased with the tone of either circuit board amp, even after speaker and tube swaps. Point to point vintage amps simply sound better, and with a bit of amp tech maintenance, are as reliable as any reissue.

A 50 watt speaker is a must for playing jazz through either amp. My Princeton is a 1964 non reverb model (Blackface, pre-CBS) with a JBL D-110 speaker. It is not suitable for a loud room or a loud drummer. My Deluxe Reverb is a 1974 model (Silverface) with a Tone Tubby Red speaker. I have used this amp in a very loud room with a drummer. Clean headroom is not a problem. While the sound may have a bit of "dirt", that is the beauty of a tube amp. If you need hi-fi cleans, get a solid state amp.

Unless you are working on getting into the Mr. Olympia contest or have a chiropractor friend that you want to support, I would avoid the Twin. If you want enough headroom to play a noisy venue, I would avoid the Princeton, even with a 12 inch speaker. That leaves the Deluxe. I advise a vintage point to point over the reissue, but, if new is your thing (some guys do not trust used anything), then go ahead and buy the reissue. Swap the speaker out for a 50 watt or better model (A hemp cone can tame the overly bright tone of the circuit board somewhat) and you are set. And your chiropractor friend will have to look for a new patient elsewhere.

User Info Menu

I think " 65 Deluxe Reverb RI " you well more happy with for the long run ( size and weight ) ???

User Info Menu

Does it have to be a Fender?

If it does, and you want headroom for gigs, I'd go with the Twin. Get yourself a little two-wheeler dolly if it's too heavy to carry.

If it doesn't have to be a fender, I'm sure you can find any number of amps in the 40 watt range that would be perfect.

User Info Menu

+1 for the 40watt 2-6L6 amp... I settled on a 40 watt head by Tim Marcus (Milkman Sound) with a 1x12 50 watt cab for rock/blues and a 1x8 Redstone RS-8V for jazz. If I need to go smaller, I grab my Quilter 101 and RE NY8.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vernon
    +1 for the 40watt 2-6L6 amp... I settled on a 40 watt head by Tim Marcus (Milkman Sound) with a 1x12 50 watt cab for rock/blues and a 1x8 Redstone RS-8V for jazz. If I need to go smaller, I grab my Quilter 101 and RE NY8.

I call 1x12" + 2x6L6 combos "half twins". Is Peavey available in the OP's Sweden? If so, consider a Peavey ValveKing II 50. 50W, 19kg.

It's not booteek, it's a working man's amp, $600 new, less used.

There's also the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but it seems not to get much love. Any fans of it here?
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 07-07-2016 at 02:22 PM.

User Info Menu

I would recommend the '68 custom Vibrolux reverb or the Hot Rod Deluxe III. The latter has more clean power. I've tested quite a few HRD3's and they are really good sounding amps.
    And PRRI Navy Blues with a 12" Celestion Blue sounds just fantastic! Great amp but possibly not the clean power you need...

User Info Menu

There are plenty of Peavey amps that will get the job done. They last and last and last...

Here's Andy Brown playing his '65 Tal Farlow guitar through his old 80s Peavey Special 130 at The Whiskey Lounge.

User Info Menu

Your ideal choice would be the amp Fender never made - a small 1x12 (princeton or deluxe cab), one-channel blackface, 2x 6l6 40w amp. Several builders in the US do that - like the Gries 35. In Europe it's a little harder, but any decent tech could build one... It won't be much more expensive than a Twin and you'll get a great portable loud amp
    Get a Pro Reverb and swap the baffle out to a single speaker configuration. Just use one channel. ;-)

User Info Menu

Well, I have to say that after putting an nos 5751 tube (in v2) and a Celestion Alnico Gold speaker in my DRRI I will never need to look elsewhere for the ultimate clean tone. If you decide to go for the less expensive, and much lighter, Deluxe--- spend a little more for upgrades and save your back!
    Last edited by jbucklin; 07-08-2016 at 12:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Get a Pro Reverb and swap the baffle out to a single speaker configuration. Just use one channel. ;-)
    Ha ha yeah I guess it's possible

User Info Menu

Look around for a used Music Man 112. I believe they made them in 50W, 65W and 100W configs. I had the 65W version and it was awesome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Or take a Vibrolux Reverb and:
    - replace the speakers with NEO's (or even just one as you say)
    - build a super light solid pine cab
    - replace the PT by a torodial PT

This could knock almost 10 kgs / 20 lbs off the weight. Hmm....
    Last edited by Little Jay; 07-08-2016 at 08:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Why is nobody mentioning that you can put removable casters on amps. I did so for my Twin and my Pearce.

Ernie Ball 6102 Amp Casters (x4) Deluxe Pop-In Socket Set | Sweetwater.com
    Fender 65 Twin Reverb RI / 65 Deluxe Reverb RI-amp-casters-jpg
    Fender 65 Twin Reverb RI / 65 Deluxe Reverb RI-fendertwin-jpg