The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 108

User Info Menu

Vinny,

Half of my archtops have built in buckers, the other half are acoustic archtops with floaters. There is a difference and it is nice to have both. That said, I also think it is important for the ones with floaters to stand on their own as acoustic guitars. I am not sure that either Gibson you are thinking about will do that.

Be deliberate in this new "conquest". There are many amazing archtops out there that will fill your DAQ void. Wait till the right one comes along. I waited a long time to find my 18 inch floater guitar. Good things do come to those willing to wait.

Good luck in the search!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Longobardi
    Vinny

When comparing new Gibsons to old, the new ones are heavier, and i find them to be more conducive to chord melody work - due to a common sustain, likely brought out by the TOM bridge. If your after the early orchestra sound with more of a drier chrispy chomp/ volume go for an early period. I had a drop dead gorgeous 48' l5 that had it all, except for the beautiful sustain I find on many of the post 90' s Gibsons. I think Danny feels the same way about the later period Gibsons.
    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    I agree with this. The switch from the TOM bridge to ebony will return the "early orchestra sound" along with the volume. Legrand gets my vote by a long shot.

Garrett just came back and said they got the missing thumb wheel for the LeGrand and the price is $8.5k firm so I am cutting the rope with TMZ. Rainbow is in Arizona and temps right now are 106 degrees. Not good shipping temps. Everyone is telling me that $8K is too much. This time I think I will take everyone's sound advise. Thank you to all my jazz cat brothers !!!

User Info Menu

Vinny,
    Not sure if your interested in dealing with Joe Vinikow but he does have a nice sunburst LeGrand - but do proceed with caution as his descriptions can be somewhat nebulous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    I agree with this. The switch from the TOM bridge to ebony will return the "early orchestra sound" along with the volume. Legrand gets my vote by a long shot.
    I have a Super 400 and a Wesmo, both from the 90's. I have tried an Ebony bridge with each. It does change the sound somewhat (I like both sounds), but it does not have the acoustic volume of Gibson L-5's and Super 400's that were built in the 50's and 60's (that I have played). In the 70's these guitars were built heavier and it seems the Nashville Custom shop has kept the heavy build all the way into the new millennium. It would be interesting to compare say, a recent Legrand to an early 60's Johnny Smith for acoustic volume assuming both had wooden bridge saddles.

I do think changing the bridge saddle on a recent L-5P or a Legrand will add volume and give a more traditional tone, but I have my doubts that it will equal the volume of the older guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Longobardi
    Vinny,
    Not sure if your interested in dealing with Joe Vinikow but he does have a nice sunburst LeGrand - but do proceed with caution as his descriptions can be somewhat nebulous.
    If Vinny has an interest in that guitar, he should ask 2B if he will do a recon mission....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have a Super 400 and a Wesmo, both from the 90's. I have tried an Ebony bridge with each. It does change the sound somewhat (I like both sounds), but it does not have the acoustic volume of Gibson L-5's and Super 400's that were built in the 50's and 60's (that I have played). In the 70's these guitars were built heavier and it seems the Nashville Custom shop has kept the heavy build all the way into the new millennium. It would be interesting to compare say, a recent Legrand to an early 60's Johnny Smith for acoustic volume assuming both had wooden bridge saddles.

I do think changing the bridge saddle on a recent L-5P or a Legrand will add volume and give a more traditional tone, but I have my doubts that it will equal the volume of the older guitars.
    I have a 71 Johnny Smith light as a feather. After changing the TOM to ebony on my 94 legrand (very heavy build) It's louder than the Smith. I think the Johnny Smith I have is a very acoustic one. It changes the sound pretty dramatically. You loose a bit of sustain but the gains to me are worth the switch.

User Info Menu

I also have a Wesmo from the 90s that I changed the TOM to ebony It is not any louder really but I do prefer the sound. Legrand is a different animal.

If Vinny has an interest in that guitar, he should ask 2B if he will do a recon mission....
    2b....the king of deals. Me....oh it's on sale ? I will come back next week. :-)

User Info Menu

Vinny, I have a thought that you may not like much. Ask your friend Tuck Andress how to find the ideal guitar.

I'd love to hear his thoughts on the GAS we suffer. I really would.

Tuck actually likes my blonde 2010 L5. I have played both his 49 and 53 L5's. They are both really beat up but they both have great necks and sound great. A Japanese luthier built him a real nice archtop. it is a fabulous guitar. The builder died shortly after he gave it to Tuck as a gift. I am going to hang with him next week. He does not like new and shiney.
    You get him away from Patti and he plays completely different. A lot like Joe Pass. He is a very kind soul. He has the best ear of anyone I have ever known. Anything he hears he can instantly play perfectly. He is a huge Wes fan. That's all he listens too. He just spend a evening with GB and KB not too long ago. They both came together to one of his shows. He really loves George too. He has been trying to get me to use a pick like George. It just feels too unnatural to me. I can't do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Garrett just came back and said they got the missing thumb wheel for the LeGrand and the price is $8.5k firm so I am cutting the rope with TMZ. Rainbow is in Arizona and temps right now are 106 degrees. Not good shipping temps. Everyone is telling me that $8K is too much. This time I think I will take everyone's sound advise. Thank you to all my jazz cat brothers !!!
    I'll be glad to pickup the guitar at Rainbow, bring it home in my air conditioned car, and ship it to you around Christmas ... or at least by March while it's still cool

I can be at Rainbow in about an hour

Or maybe I can bring it to you and you can let me hang out with you and Tuck Andress ....

Bluedawg....what a pal. :-)

User Info Menu

Rainbow is in Arizona and temps right now are 106 degrees. Not good shipping temps. E
    Seriously? I shipped a guitar out of here last week when it was almost 112--it got there just fine. Not the first one I've shipped or received in hot weather either. Archtops are really not that delicate--when we moved here my guitars arrived in 110+ degrees and sat in a hot garage for a week until we showed up. Not a problem with any of them. Beats freezing temps any day.

Danny W.

Hey thanks for the heads up Danny.

User Info Menu

For $8 to $8.5K, I'd look at one of the Johnny Smiths offered by Gary Dick of Gary's Classic Guitars. His prices are on the high side of high but Gary, I hear, is a straight shooter and his guitars don't disappoint. He has a 1969 JS Nat. that looks really nice.

http://www.garysguitars.com/catalog/...hnny-smith-d-0
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-05-2016 at 01:03 AM.

User Info Menu

In January or so there was a brand spankin' new beautiful Sunburst Premiere with the BJB pickup listed by TMZ on feebay for less than $6k, obo. The guitar sat there for weeks...I was relieved when it finally sold.

here's the link to that guitar

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/1...itar-Sunburst/

You could find a HJS and pocket the additional $4k. Seems JD is happy
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 07-08-2016 at 05:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    For $8 to $8.5K, I'd look at one of the Johnny Smiths offered by Gary Dick of Gary's Classic Guitars. His prices are on the high side of high but Gary, I hear, is a straight shooter and his guitars don't disappoint. He has a 1969 JS Nat. that looks really nice.

1969 Gibson Johnny Smith D | Garys Classic Guitars & Vintage Guitars
    I've done a fair amount of business with Gary. He is pricey, but his stuff is usually first rate and he's a good guy.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

I need advise on these 2 models. Both are X braced with BJB floaters. I know the L5 is 3/8 thicker. I can get either for the same price. Very hard call. I do like the old style 3 piece neck on the Premier better than 5 piece but 3 inch body depth is real nice. I take it the necks are the same except for the inlays ? I have never played a Premier and only 2 LeGrands in my life. After selling my DAQ I feel I really need 1 archtop with a floater.
    Both tops are carved thin like a Heritage. Where should I steer my boat ?
    Well for ME it's no contest. The LeGrand in lemonburst. More comfy body, more beautiful finish and inlays. JMO.

Gibson L-5 Premier vs LeGrand-legrand-jpg

User Info Menu

Bluedawg....what a pal. :-)

And sometimes, Harvey gives you a better price if you're buying in person ...

Just sayin'

Harvey seems like a great guy and very customer focused. I hear good things about Rainbow.

User Info Menu

I would say buy this one instead, but it looks like a pencil neck ...

https://reverb.com/item/1631255-gibs...n-1969-natural

no affiliation; just decided to look at L5Cs on reverb after reading this threasd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    I've done a fair amount of business with Gary. He is pricey, but his stuff is usually first rate and he's a good guy.

Danny W.

That's the first time I heard anyone here mention they'd actually bought something from him....Danny, I believe you completely and trust what you say, but I just can't figure out that store......

Case in point - - he still has 3 '50's L-7 C's - natural, and he's had them for easily three or four years- maybe longer......they are still $7995., and he still has them.......

I bought mine for considerably less than that, and would just as easily have bought one of his........ being ' pricey' I see as maybe 10% -15-20% more .......but if you get to 35% and counting, the message I get from a seller like that is ' Dennis, don't even bother '......

..or he can be as pricey as he wants for a blonde Duane Eddy Guild...I give him credit - he had one, and if you'd been searching for one, and wanted it, that's the price.....no problem....and it's gone so he was correct......

...but ok here are these three L-7's...

.........scratching my head......
    Last edited by Dennis D; 07-06-2016 at 03:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    That's the first time I heard anyone here mention they'd actually bought something from him....Danny, I believe you completely and trust what you say, but I just can't figure out that store......

Case in point - - he still has 3 '50's L-7 C's - natural, and he's had them for easily three or four years- maybe longer......they are still $7995., and he still has them.......

I bought mine for considerably less than that, and would just as easily have bought one of his........ being ' pricey' I see as maybe 10% -15-20% more .......but if you get to 35% and counting, the message I get from a seller like that is ' Dennis, don't even bother '......

..or he can be as pricey as he wants for a blonde Duane Eddy Guild...I give him credit - he had one, and if you'd been searching for one, and wanted it, that's the price.....no problem....and it's gone so he was correct......

...but ok here are these three L-7's...

.........scratching my head......
    Similar thing here, i have been looking at his blonde Johnny Smith's for some time again and again and can't even figure why the rather large price differences between the two left (there was a third a while ago). The only thing i'm sure about - they are pricey.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Similar thing here, i have been looking at his blonde Johnny Smith's for some time again and again and can't even figure why the rather large price differences between the two left (there was a third a while ago). The only thing i'm sure about - they are pricey.

..Well, good luck....maybe it's a phone call..... I don't know what I'd ever say to Gary, except something like : ' Ok, I love your inventory, but I ain't that smart, so what is it about your business that I'm missing, or just don't get ??? "

(( Maybe Danny W can help ?? ))