The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24
    Hello again,
    I've also got this Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version. A really nice guitar, that I used way back than.
    Please give me your comments on originality (I got it in the 70s from a friend) of the different parts, what it would cost me to repair the neck binding and what it's worth (I've got too many guitars).
    Thank you all for your help.
    Cheers, Johan
    Attached Images Attached Images Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-_mg_1568-jpg Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-_mg_1567-jpg Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-_mg_1566-jpg Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-_mg_1565-jpg Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-_mg_1564-jpg Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-_mg_1532-jpg Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-_mg_1531-jpg Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-_mg_1530-jpg Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-_mg_1529-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks all original to me

Partial binding replacement $20-50 ? Depending on the luthier

Value $1000-1200 if no other work is needed (frets ? Neck reset ?). Some dealers may ask more, maybe little less on a private sale

User Info Menu

I have a 1971 version with no master volume or the phase switch. It is really a special guitar and it needed binding repair also. Every time I pull it out to sell it I play and just can't bring myself to let it go. I have been playing my Guild 1973 S100SC, carved top SG style guild and it really plays and sounds fantastic especially through the 1961 Fender Pro amp. These pick ups have a really good clarity to them. Your pick up rings show extra holes so it may have had different pick ups in the guitar at one time and hopefully the originals are back in now. Quite a beautiful chunk of mahogany you have there. My advice is not to play it if you want to sell it, it hasn't worked for me.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

Ignore the album cover, this track was named for and performed on a Guild Blues Bird. Great guitar.

User Info Menu

It's hollow inside, right?

User Info Menu

This version of the M-75 Bluesbird is solid mahogany. They made the hollow body version at the same time for a few more years.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by powerwagonjohn
    This version of the M-75 Bluesbird is solid mahogany. They made the hollow body version at the same time for a few more years.
    Thanks John
    Thanks! I'm a fan of vintage Guild guitars, I like their unique tone, and narrow necks . Your guitar looks great!

User Info Menu

The binding repair you could perhaps do yourself, cutting to size, gluing and clamping, and then using acetone+binding to make a slurry to cover the cracks? Sand and touch up the finish (which I'm assuming is nitro, perhaps I'm wrong).

Handsome guit, nonetheless.

User Info Menu

The guitar in the photo is not mine but I too am a Guild fan.Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-img_5027-jpgGuild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-bb1-jpg Here is a photo of my 1973 S100SC carved top and my 1971 M-75 solid body Bluesbird. I also have a couple Starfires and an X-170 hollow body.
    Thanks John

Wow, what great rections to my questions. I'm glad I made some of you guys happy with my images (which by the way I declare free for distribution).

User Info Menu

Those guitars take me back. My high school actually had some instruments for the stage band. The school guitar was a circa '70 Guild Starfire III. The amp was a G-12 Ampeg, IIRC. I played that and the school bass--a Kay M-1 upright. Don't know why the school had a guitar rig, but it did. It got me to start checking out Guilds in the stores back then. They were excellent--especially the Starfire V and the Bluesbird.

User Info Menu

It does look all original, and as John noticed may have had other pickups at one time. Aside from the relatively easy binding repair it looks to be in excellent condition. Regarding value, that is hard to say with Guilds as they often fetch less than they should. Assuming USA made, which was all but the Newark Street line, value increases relative to age/factory/pickups.

This is what I would expect to pay, all based on condition and assuming fully playable and originality:

Hoboken w/Franz pups: 3-4k
    Hoboken w/mini buckers: 2-3k
    Westerly w/mini buckers: 1.5-2.5k
    Westerly w/HB-1's (solid): 1.5-2k (yours)
    Westerly w/o HB-1's (chambered): $700-1.2k

User Info Menu

I like meatloaf, welcome!
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    It does look all original, and as John noticed may have had other pickups at one time. Aside from the relatively easy binding repair it looks to be in excellent condition. Regarding value, that is hard to say with Guilds as they often fetch less than they should. Assuming USA made, which was all but the Newark Street line, value increases relative to age/factory/pickups.

This is what I would expect to pay, all based on condition and assuming fully playable and originality:

Hoboken w/Franz pups: 3-4k
    Hoboken w/mini buckers: 2-3k
    Westerly w/mini buckers: 1.5-2.5k
    Westerly w/HB-1's (solid): 1.5-2k (yours)
    Westerly w/o HB-1's (chambered): $700-1.2k
    Hoboken w/Franz pups: 3-4k ?? No way, I got mine for $1400, and even that I thought I overpaid! But I'm glad humbucker ones are cheaper value, I'd definitely prefer them over Franz, or any single coils for that matter...

User Info Menu

If you got an all original Hoboken Aristocrat in excellent condition with Franz pups within the last 6-8 years for $1400 you got a great deal. Before the AP Aristocrat and the NS version came out in 2013 they were commonly selling for mid to upper 4's, and at times more in pristine condition. Since then prices have dropped a bit. I'm not seeing them for sale nearly as much lately, so prices are harder to gauge. If you see any more pre-1963 Aristocrats in excellent condition available for $1400 let me know. I'll drive to wherever it is and buy it on the spot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    If you got an all original Hoboken Aristocrat in excellent condition with Franz pups within the last 6-8 years for $1400 you got a great deal. Before the AP Aristocrat and the NS version came out in 2013 they were commonly selling for mid to upper 4's, and at times more in pristine condition. Since then prices have dropped a bit. I'm not seeing them for sale nearly as much lately, so prices are harder to gauge. If you see any more pre-1963 Aristocrats in excellent condition available for $1400 let me know. I'll drive to wherever it is and buy it on the spot.
    My bad, I thought we were talking about Guilds in general at that point. Wow, those guitars are more expensive than hollowbodys! Good I never had GAS for them

Hi,
    Here are a few images of the humbuckers in my Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version. Do these shed any light on which type they are?:

Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-guild-pickups-1-jpgGuild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-guild-pickups-1-2-jpgGuild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-guild-pickups-3-jpgGuild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-guild-pickups-3-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Those are official Guild HB-1's. You can identify the HB-1's versus later copies or knockoffs by the solder terminals, and by the engraved date you see on yours, which is 11-26-74. Nice pictures!

Here is a link regarding Guild pickups that was created by a member of the LetsTalkGuild community.

http://www.gad.net/Blog/2011/11/25/g...up-variations/
    Last edited by snoskier63; 07-02-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Hello again, I totally forgot to ask if anyone could tell which year my Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul was built. I believe it reads 26360 (correct me if I'm wrong). I searched serial nr. charts but can't find it. Anyone?
    Greetings Johan
    Attached Images Attached Images Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-muzi-68573498-guild-bluesbird-m-75-les-paul-version-6-jpg 

User Info Menu

Check that # again. My 1973 is #95202 The serial number should also be on a label inside the control cavity cover on the back.
    Thanks John

Hi again, here's an images of that cover. The number is 95360. I still can't find it in the "dating your guild table".
    Greetings Johan
    Attached Images Attached Images Guild Bluesbird M-75 Les Paul version-muzi-68573498-guild-bluesbird-m-75-les-paul-version-10-jpg 

User Info Menu

Looks like yours is a late 1973 build with 1974 dated pick ups so it must be a 74. Nice guitar and enjoy.
    thanks John

Thanks a lot!!
    Greetings, Johan

User Info Menu

Many years back I saw Larry Carlton play a hollow M-75 Bluesbird with HB-1s (someone called out from the audience asking what it was and he talked about it a little). It has stuck in mind ever since as one of the best sounding guitars I've ever heard. And it wasn't just the Larry Carlton factor, who sounds great on everything. It really had something extra special going on.

John