The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Posts 201 to 214 of 214

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Well my Heritage Johnny Smith will arrive today. As you guys say, On Paper, it checks all the boxes.
    Enjoy it! (can't wait to hear more about it).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congratulations! It's a great guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    As long as you are happpy, Joe. You are a good egg. So, back on the hunt for a Rose inlaid HJS pickguard?
    Not yet. When I start to get antsy in about a year.. Then I'll change out the black parts to gold and have the pickguard made from Ebony with the Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Enjoy it! (can't wait to hear more about it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Epistrophy
    Congratulations! It's a great guitar.
    Thanks JN and Epi.

User Info Menu

I don't know bro, the pickguard that is on it looks pretty darn nice.

User Info Menu

I tried a Johnny Smith yesterday. It was from 60s. Sorry JazzNote, no pictures. It had a crack in it's body when the owner had dropped it when he walked down stairs. It was glued afterwards by a luthier. The jack was mounted into the side of the body like in 175 instead of the tailpiece in the bottom. It had that magical sound, the thing. It was incredible. Different than L5. It was my first time when trying out that guitar. The thing how I see it, is that L5 could be associated more with that traditional smoky black man's jazz guitar sound which first brings to mind the sound of Burrell or Wes even when L5 or Golden Eagle has that floating pickup. And my Golden Eagle with a floater was exactly like L5 when I compared it to the Gibson JS. Johnny Smith sounds different, it's traditional, but something else at the same time. I partly associate JS guitar sound to Johnny Smith when he plays his partly commercial and jazzy flavored stuff, it's kind of white man's sound with a little bit of country guitar sound in it. Johnny Smith's sound was a bit brighter, Golden Eagle was more smoky and darker like L5 is. It's pretty easy to get that Wes kinda sound out of the GE even when it's equipped with a floating pickup. JS has something to do with D Angelico as well, not completely Gibson like L5 is. However, the price was way too much for me. And I somehow liked the sound of my GE more partly because it brings to mind the traditional L5 sound I like.

User Info Menu

JS and GE are identical when it comes to their body size. Golden Eagle, I think, is based on Johnny Smith's body size, but everything else is from L5.

User Info Menu

JS and GE are identical when it comes to their body size. Golden Eagle, I think, is based on Johnny Smith's body size, but everything else is from L5.
    The GJS body size is longer than a GE. Unless otherwise specified, the GE will usually have a thicker top than a GJS.

As I recall, the true depth of the GJS is a hair more than 3". The GE is right at 3" or a hair less. Also, the GEs are not quite the advertised 17" across.

Joe, you can measure your HJS by putting a string across the top and measuring the string.

User Info Menu

Well, small differences, but the thicker top in GE reduced some of it's acoustic volume Acoustically JS was livelier, bracing was thinner than in GE.

User Info Menu

I tried a Johnny Smith yesterday. It was from 60s. Sorry JazzNote, no pictures. It had a crack in it's body when the owner had dropped it when he walked down stairs. It was glued afterwards by a luthier. The jack was mounted into the side of the body like in 175 instead of the tailpiece in the bottom. It had that magical sound, the thing. It was incredible. Different than L5. It was my first time when trying out that guitar. The thing how I see it, is that L5 could be associated more with that traditional smoky black man's jazz guitar sound which first brings to mind the sound of Burrell or Wes even when L5 or Golden Eagle has that floating pickup. And my Golden Eagle with a floater was exactly like L5 when I compared it to the Gibson JS. Johnny Smith sounds different, it's traditional, but something else at the same time. I partly associate JS guitar sound to Johnny Smith when he plays his partly commercial and jazzy flavored stuff, it's kind of white man's sound with a little bit of country guitar sound in it. Johnny Smith's sound was a bit brighter, Golden Eagle was more smoky and darker like L5 is. It's pretty easy to get that Wes kinda sound out of the GE even when it's equipped with a floating pickup. JS has something to do with D Angelico as well, not completely Gibson like L5 is. However, the price was way too much for me. And I somehow liked the sound of my GE more partly because it brings to mind the traditional L5 sound I like.
    Thanks a lot for your "report".

Was the crack in the top? I'm also curious how much it would have costed. Still trying to find out if the few GJS i found in Europe are actually overpriced.

User Info Menu

My experience is that early 60's Gibson archtops are more acoustically lively than later Gibsons.

User Info Menu

Johnny Smith in original condition costs easily 10k. This one was 7500 euros because of the crack. It was also refinished. And the input jack was made by drilling the hole in the side of the body. That guitar wasn't in the original condition like some that cost 10k or more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Thanks a lot for your "report".

Was the crack in the top? I'm also curious how much it would have costed. Still trying to find out if the few GJS i found in Europe are actually overpriced.
    Yes the crack was on the top and glued afterwards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    The GJS body size is longer than a GE. Unless otherwise specified, the GE will usually have a thicker top than a GJS.

As I recall, the true depth of the GJS is a hair more than 3". The GE is right at 3" or a hair less. Also, the GEs are not quite the advertised 17" across.

Joe, you can measure your HJS by putting a string across the top and measuring the string.
    MG, The lower bout measures 17". Sorry it took me so long.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Incoming LeGrand soon. I'll report back.