The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 214

User Info Menu

You will love it Joe!! The HJS I picked up recently is awesome! I had no time yet for a NGD posting but it is a great great guitar!
    Cheers and happy NGD,
    Frank

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A truly lovely piece Joe, all the best !!!!

Big

User Info Menu

Thanks Mikey. I am looking forward to settling down with this guitar and PLAYING again.
    Thanks buddy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Vin,
    take it easy bro. Who said I was buying a 10,000 GJS?
    Im not.
    Hi Joe, i'm happy that you found what you were looking for! I wish you lots of happiness with the new babe.

User Info Menu

Thanks Mikey. I am looking forward to settling down with this guitar and PLAYING again.
    Thanks buddy.
    JD
    That's s pleasant surprise Joe, very cool looking HJS very
    much in the same vibe as a LeGrande , looks stunning.
    Others & I will be pleased to hear it later . Congrats on
    a fine acquisition ( rare as hens teeth in the UK)

Best
    Alan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Longobardi
    Marty,
    Your obviously pro Heritage to the fullest extent and I do appreciate your devotion and knowledge of the brand.
    But I do believe there is a unique - undeniable quality of sound associated with Gibson guitars as many of us can attest to.
    As for comparing people , timelines etc, etc, - both organizations have experienced changes and are still in business
    producing instruments that satisfy different tastes.
    So it all boils down to personal belief , opinion and what the overall consensus of the market indicates.
    Sorry to hear about the hardships of the Gibson move from Kalamazoo- I'm sure that left some bitter feelings.
    Maybe I came on too strongly. I don't feel bitterness toward Gibson per se. But I did suffer from disillusionment when they left so many loyal workers in the lurch. That was a business decision.

Gibson has no secret sauce. It's reputation has been bought and sold several times, and it does not resemble its origin in the least. But Gibson still cranks out winners. I currently have four compared to five Heritages. That ratio should not suggest I have a bias toward Heritage or against Gibson, especially when you consider that I can literally walk over to the Heritage plant and get whatever I want.

I agree that it does come down to personal beliefs. But I cannot accept that there is an undeniable quality of sound rightly associated with Gibson only when put to the test of logic and reason. Gibson guitars put out myriad sounds, and they overlap with other manufacturers. The Gibson designs are not unique, all of the materials are available on the open market, and they don't have a monopoly on craftsmanship. So how can Gibson have a unique sound?

Take a listen to this. With a gun to your head, is it a Gibson or not?

Another.

If I'm tainted, it's not that I have a grudge against Gibson. I don't. But I knew and know many who worked at Gibson in the 50s through the 80s. And I know many of the Heritage folks, too. That gives me a different perspective.

No malice intended with this post.

User Info Menu

Marty,
    We are both certainly passionate about our likes and dislikes- and we are also gentlemen at the highest level.
    I'm actually more of an admirer of several boutique instruments Ive purchased over the past 35 years- and only in the recent few years I have come to appreciate the characteristic tone , timbre and natural reverb - commonly associated with Gibson Archtops....which to me and several other colleagues can agree upon.
    No malice intended on my part either- our discussions are based on very subjective qualitative assessments , which in many cases are supported by general consensus.

User Info Menu

The spruce on that guitar is highly exceptional with a lot of character. The finish is hand applied, not the usual spray, just like Gibson did with some of their Kalamazoo Awards and Citations. That adds to both the cost and the appeal IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    But if I were to be more traditional, this is the one I'd seriously check out.

https://reverb.com/item/1809614-vint...-smith-archtop

It has a 1/4" jack. The original 1/8" is intolerable and a disaster waiting to happen. Also, the BJB is a better pickup than the original Gibson JS. This guitar sounds like it has all of the desirable changes made to it.

Best of luck, my friend.
    I'm not going to accuse anyone of anything here, because I can't tell FOR SURE, but it LOOKS as if the fb has been planed in the upper register, resulting in the pickup sitting a bit high, and the bridge all the way down flat. ICBW. Better angled pics would tell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I'm not going to accuse anyone of anything here, because I can't tell FOR SURE, but it LOOKS as if the fb has been planed in the upper register, resulting in the pickup sitting a bit high, and the bridge all the way down flat. ICBW. Better angled pics would tell.

Hmm. Nibs look like they are intact. Better pix would help though.

User Info Menu

Vin,
    Im not.
    So the right one "DID" fall in your lap. Congrats bro. What a stunner.

User Info Menu

If I may join in, this side of the pond we cannot give
    an unbiased view on the differences between Heritage
    snd Gibson , because the former is not represented
    here in the UK. We can therefore only base a view on
    what is available on YouTube and other media. Having
    owned a large number and variety of Gibsons plus other
    makes , one or two boutique instruments, over a period
    of approx 50 years , The Gibson marque rules the roost.
    There is an indefinable quality about them and a
    particular sound quality instantly recognisable.
    This is leaving the resale value out of the equation.
    Restating Jabberwocky's assertion that not all of us
    buy with the resale value immediately in mind but
    with a view to keeping and playing our cherished
    acquisition for a good period of time.
    No wish to offend anyone but just my 2p's worth

User Info Menu

I think that one should recognize that Gibson guitars derive much of their new and resale value based upon the company's "brand equity". The same can be said of "Fender" and " Martin" as well. Their value is driven by deep rooted consumer perception of the historic "brand name" and not the actual guitars that they produce themselves. Their products are excellent (as are a number of companies without this brand attribute) but they key difference lies here in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    JS's and LeGrands are one trick ponies and some sound really great and some just don't.
    Oh, like Golden Eagles, which is why you own 8/9 of them, you mean?

User Info Menu

Vin,
    Im not.
    Congrats Joe! That HJS has the juice...you lucked out again bro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    If I may join in, this side of the pond we cannot give
    an unbiased view on the differences between Heritage
    snd Gibson , because the former is not represented
    here in the UK. We can therefore only base a view on
    what is available on YouTube and other media. Having
    owned a large number and variety of Gibsons plus other
    makes , one or two boutique instruments, over a period
    of approx 50 years , The Gibson marque rules the roost.
    There is an indefinable quality about them and a
    particular sound quality instantly recognisable.
    This is leaving the resale value out of the equation.
    Restating Jabberwocky's assertion that not all of us
    buy with the resale value immediately in mind but
    with a view to keeping and playing our cherished
    acquisition for a good period of time.
    No wish to offend anyone but just my 2p's worth
    Perhaps. But what Jabberwocky failed to mention is he bought a LeGrand at an exceptional price...i.e., with guaranteed resell value built into its purchase price. I know because that particular Legrand had been relisted on ebay several times, even at a price well below $6k, and I was nearly moved to buy that guitar.

Some of us guitar owners who don't have built in equity from having bought Gibson guitars when they were much more affordable don't care to be upside down in a guitar, in the event that something else comes along that speaks to us. And there's no shame in that. The suggestion that one must keep any guitar for X amount of days, months, or years...I'm sorry, that's just nuts.

Joe, what say you bro?

User Info Menu

When I talked to Marty Turman about his D'Angelico II project, he stated that his intention was to build guitars at "Gibson" quality. He first used Jim Triggs and then used JP Moats and Marv Lamb to build his guitars. All three being among the best Gibson luthiers ever. My DA2 feels like a Gibson guitar. Jay Wolfe, a previous owner of my guitar told me that JP Moats carved the top thicker on my guitar than he did on Heritage Super Eagles in an attempt to emulate the D'Angelico sound. Jay told me that my guitar was warmer than any Super Eagle he has ever played. Jay further opined that Heritage guitars tend to be brighter than Gibson guitars.

I owned a Heritage 535 and have owned three Gibson 335's. The Heritage was much brighter than the Gibsons, and my Heritage had Duncan 59 Pups. For some reason, the Heritage guitars are, by design, brighter sounding than their Gibson counterparts. Perhaps this was done intenionally by the Heritage founders to make their own mark in the industry, a "Heritage sound", so to speak. While there are probably those who prefer the more acoustic, articulate sound of a Heritage, I prefer the darker Gibson sound. I am sure if Heritage wanted to make replicas of L5's, Super 400's and ES-175's, they could do so and the quality would rival, and perhaps even surpass that of Gibson. But that is not what they do. So, like chocalate and vanilla, there are different flavors for every taste. Those who prefer the Heritage flavor are lucky as those guitars are a better value.

Regarding the Heritage Johnny Smith vs Gibson Johnny Smith and Joe D., I would say that given Joe's penchant for mint condition instruments and full neck profiles, the Heritage is probably a better fit. That said, I bet that one day he will own a Gibson Johnny Smith, just to see for himself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop

Some of us guitar owners who don't have built in equity from having bought Gibson guitars when they were much more affordable don't care to be upside down in a guitar, in the event that something else comes along that speaks to us. And there's no shame in that. The suggestion that one must keep any guitar for X amount of days, months, or years...I'm sorry, that's just nuts.

Joe, what say you bro?
    It would appear that a number of us are in the firing line here.
    Without wishing to be pedantic, I did not suggest that a Guitar "must" be kept for X period at all
    I merely said that some of us prefer to acquire an instrument to keep rather than turn it around
    in a very short space of time. This could be a more expensive exercise, you seem to infer that
    Heritage guitars are a good buy. Well I wouldn't know if that is right having never seen, let alone
    played one. Because they are not marketed in the UK and rarely appear, to import sight unseen
    would be unwise. exraordinarily expensive particularly currently.
    They may be excellent value, all I am saying is that others and I prefer the tried and
    tested Gibson brand, because we know pretty much what to expect. I have the same view with
    Ibanez having had many models from 1983 to present day. There have been lemons, but in 50
    years since I first purchased a Gibson, generally they are extremely good. Despite this a recently
    acquired Guitar may shortly be moved on as try as I may I cannot bond with it. Yet others are
    delighted with theirs.
    The Heritage models in pics i have seen look quite stunning , JD's new acquisition in particular,
    could be mistaken for a LeGrande at first glance without seeing the headstock.
    Can I suggest that we can agree to disagree in an amicable fashion.

User Info Menu

yeah... Good Luck. The seller didn't even have the decency to respond to a $6250 offer and multiple emails..

User Info Menu

The Heritage 535 is a thinner guitar than the 335. That is why it is brighter. It is also lighter.

When Gibson produced its semi-hollow series, one of the concerns was to not appear too radical in design. The Les Pauls were not flying off the shelves then, partly because they were more expensive than Fenders and partly because the appearance of the LP was not embraced by many "traditional" guitarists. The 335 is a 16" that still has significant depth yet is feedback resistant, like the Strat. It was well accepted unlike the Explorer, the Flying V and the Firebird models, also McCarty innovations released the same year.

Heritage made two improvements on the 335. First, they moved the jack to the rim. Second they made it thinner, substantially dropping the weight by requiring less mass in the center block. I grew up with a 345, which does seem a bit warmer. My comrades who play three sets a night say that shedding that half a pound makes a difference though.

The top and back carves on Heritage archtops, just like the necks, can be ordered any way you want. Two of my Heritage archtops do have a thicker top, both by dealer order. They capture the L-5CES and Super 400 sounds when amplified. Two have thin tops, pretty much the same as the Gibson JS.

Unlike Patrick, I have no financial interest in the well being of Heritage. I'm just throwing in my 2 pence.

User Info Menu

No Alan, you didn't suggest a guitar should be kept to be fully experienced. That was suggested by another member. I'm not arguing for or against Heritage or Gibson. People buy what suits them. Whatever makes someone happy. I'm for that.

Without wishing to be pedantic, I did not suggest that a Guitar "must" be kept for X period at all
    I merely said that some of us prefer to acquire an instrument to keep rather than turn it around
    in a very short space of time. This could be a more expensive exercise, you seem to infer that
    Heritage guitars are a good buy. Well I wouldn't know if that is right having never seen, let alone
    played one. Because they are not marketed in the UK and rarely appear, to import sight unseen
    They may be excellent value, all I am saying is that others and I prefer the tried and
    tested Gibson brand, because we know pretty much what to expect. I have the same view with
    Ibanez having had many models from 1983 to present day. There have been lemons, but in 50
    years since I first purchased a Gibson, generally they are extremely good. Despite this a recently
    acquired Guitar may shortly be moved on as try as I may I cannot bond with it. Yet others are
    delighted with theirs.
    The Heritage models in pics i have seen look quite stunning , JD's new acquisition in particular,

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your good eyesight ... i can detect no nibs at this resolution. Would definitely need better pix.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger

Regarding the Heritage Johnny Smith vs Gibson Johnny Smith and Joe D., I would say that given Joe's penchant for mint condition instruments and full neck profiles, the Heritage is probably a better fit. That said, I bet that one day he will own a Gibson Johnny Smith, just to see for himself.
    Marco, you are probably correct. But I stand by my promise. I bought this guitar with goal in mind to have a guitar that will go where I go. I really want a keeper. I am not a flipper at all. Since I've owned one of these already, I am familiar with its qualities and I sincerely believe I can keep this one for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    No Alan, you didn't suggest a guitar should be kept to be fully experienced. That was suggested by another member. I'm not arguing for or against Heritage or Gibson. People buy what suits them. Whatever makes someone happy. I'm for that.
    Amen bro. That's all I am after. When you have something and it's not for you, it doesn't take that much time for you know it.

delighted with theirs.
    As I told MartyGrass off line, I wanted a mint condition Johnny Smith. If I had the money the 17,000 one that MT has would have been perfect. But For $4200, I found a guitar that is every bit a Johnny Smith, (25", neck block, 1-3/4 nut, perfect neck, 3" deep, even signed by Johnny..). And it's in brand new condition and I will keep it that way.
    Do I buy guitars with consideration for there resale value? What am I an idiot? Of course I do. I'm lucky, I like things that other people like. So I make sure if I don't like it I'm not gonna have cut it into little pieces and fry it up with my eggs in place of bacon.

Every post regarding Gibson turns into the same pissing contest. Maybe it's folks protecting their investments? Maybe it's what iim7v7 or whatever the F his name is's perception that it's brand loyalty.. I don't know. I appreciate all my bro's keeping this one respectful (unlike that one my boy SS started...).

The main reason I started this post was because I wanted to see if anyone had a short scale LeGrand. The only person who has one said I'd have to pry it out of his cold dead hands in about 50 years and I don't have that kind of time.

I got my Johnny coming. I am fixing on lovin it.
    just like I love you guys.

JD

User Info Menu

What I like is that every time you get a new guitar you post a bunch of videos, and I love to hear you play.

User Info Menu

Joe do you believe that there's a chance to get a mint early seventies Gibson JS for 10k or less. I guess when you mention 17k you are talking about a sixties ..... am i wrong?
    Last edited by JazzNote; 06-28-2016 at 05:25 PM.