The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    So, what does Ampeg call a Gemini GV-15, but with a single channel and single 10 in. or 12 in. speaker ? That would still have that killer spring reverb, but less weight. Or put another way, which ( smallest speaker ) Ampeg model would I look for which would still have their spring reverb ? Thx.
    That would be either a
    -(helmethead) Reverbojet - 18 watts, 1x12", reverb, trem
    -(helmethead) GU-12 - 20 watts, 1x12", reverb, trem

Ampeg never made a 1x10" tube combo. From '71-'80 they made a heinous piece of garbage called the GT-10 (1x10", 15-watt solid state doorstop). In '76 they made more heinous garbage - the G-100 and B-100 (1x10", 20-watt solid state doorstops), and followed them with the even worse G-18 in '77 (1x8", 10 watt solid state smaller doorstop) but these are Ampegs in name only and are a cruel mockery of real Ampegs. Pure landfill.

From a size comparison POV, the next size up in tube Ampegs w/reverb is the (identical size) box used for the:
    -G-20 (2x10", 35 watts);
    -G-12 (1x12", 22 watts);
    -ReverbRocket II (1x12", 20 watts);
    These are bigger and heavier than the GU-12 and Reverbojet, but smaller and lighter than your old GV-15 or a similar GV-22. Here's a picture comparing the size of a Reverbrocket II to a GU-12 - both 1x12", 20 watts, similar control layout:

Last edited by Hammertone; 08-21-2018 at 06:11 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a 1966 Gemini II and I like it just as much as my 1962 fender Pro. The Ampeg cost less than a third of what I paid for my Pro so I would say the Ampegs are a great deal on a vintage amp. When I bought my Ampeg it had a reconed original Jensen that sounded rather muffled to me. I took it out and tried a JBL D130F which sounded great but finally settled on a Altec 417.
    When I showed the original speaker to my speaker guy he said the replacement cone is a much heaver, ribbed cone and nothing like the original light seamed cone. He also told me the light seamed cone kits are getting very hard to find and even he did not have access to one at the time. The reason I mention this is one may run into a similar situation and not give the amp the chance it deserves. I am very lucky to have both a great amp tech. and Midwest Speaker close to my location. My Gemini II is large and heavy but well worth the effort, if not my bass player would be happy to help as it is great for bass also.
    Thanks John