The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 299

User Info Menu

@2B, I may try your metal polish. I have used Flitz and Simichrome. Both clean the nickel parts up, but the salt air here on the California coast does cause my nickel parts to tarnish fairly quickly. Chrome also suffers in this air, but holds up way better than nickel.

I also prefer Chrome's blue tint to the yellow tint of nickel. I suspect that the reason nickel proved to more popular among guitar players than chrome is that a lot of players LIKE the tarnished look (and chrome never delivers that). As evidence of that assertion, I offer the fact that guys pay big bucks for "relic" guitars. I would rather relic them on my own.....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's funny how in a thread where I was happy to join the chorus criticizing Gibson, I now come to their defense.

But remember, Gibson did eventually get the wood back. They even made some ugly guitars out if them, iirc.

That story (published before the case's conclusion) makes Gibson seem to have been flouting the law, but some judge must have disagreed when they got that wood back.

Now if only they'd make some reasonably priced guitars out if it... 😉

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by furtom
    It's funny how in a thread where I was happy to join the chorus criticizing Gibson, I now come to their defense.

But remember, Gibson did eventually get the wood back. They even made some ugly guitars out if them, iirc.

That story (published before the case's conclusion) makes Gibson seem to have been flouting the law, but some judge must have disagreed when they got that wood back.

Now if only they'd make some reasonably priced guitars out if it... 

IIRC they got their Indian rosewood back ... but nor the ebony ... it cost them a big chunk of change for legal fees, too

User Info Menu

How many fine archtops can you afford for the cost of a BMW i8 ?????
    A L5, no two (nat and burst !!!)
    and a Super 400
    and a Super Eagle
    and a Slaman (no two, the two sisters)
    and a Monteleone
    and a D'Angelico
    and a bunch of Victor Baker
    and ....

User Info Menu

@ Goldenwave

What other guitar brand could create so much passion? IMO, the answer is none.

There are three iconic guitar brands, Gibson, Fender and Martin. When it comes to flattops, it is all about Martin and Gibson. When it comes to solid bodies, it is all about Fender and Gibson. When it comes to archtops, it is all about Gibson.

Gibson rules. Read em' and weep. Like I said in my original post, if you can't afford one, work harder (or smarter). From where I stand, a lot of the negativity about Gibson guitars is sour grapes.

When I get to the bandstand of tonight's gig, I will be holding a guitar that says Gibson on the headstock. Proudly.

User Info Menu

you know the ad :
    The Cost of a Gibson-gibson_pub-jpg

This has always make me think of :

The Cost of a Gibson-guiness-jpg

and I know both are good !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    There is a lot of Gibson bashing on this forum (and a lot of America bashing everywhere). I stand tall in support of Gibson guitars and America. People are free to disagree. That is their right. My pride is my right. That is the point.
    There's also plenty of love for Gibson on this forum.
    I generally sit on a comfortable barstool in support of Gibson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    you know the ad :
    The Cost of a Gibson-gibson_pub-jpg

and I know both are good !

This advert is the single reason why Gibson are still around today in the size that they are imo. Ok well the person in the advert! Slash made Gibson Les Paul's the number one electric guitar for the last 25 years and the irony being he played a Les Paul copy which was probably better than the real thing :-)

User Info Menu

I think that Cousin It plays PRS now along with using Paul Smith hair product. I believe that he started with Vox and VO5.
    Last edited by lammie200; 05-17-2016 at 10:18 AM.

User Info Menu

@ Goldenwave

What other guitar brand could create so much passion? IMO, the answer is none.

There are three iconic guitar brands, Gibson, Fender and Martin. When it comes to flattops, it is all about Martin and Gibson. When it comes to solid bodies, it is all about Fender and Gibson. When it comes to archtops, it is all about Gibson.

Gibson rules. Read em' and weep. Like I said in my original post, if you can't afford one, work harder (or smarter). From where I stand, a lot of the negativity about Gibson guitars is sour grapes.

When I get to the bandstand of tonight's gig, I will be holding a guitar that says Gibson on the headstock. Proudly.
    This is a bit over the top. I have never dreamed about having a Gibson guitar, (except SG). I'm being 100% honest. The ones I tried to play I didn't like that much, for either playability or tone. I mean, they were ok, but... I have my Guild archtops now, I wouldn't trade them for any Gibson in the world. I'm also very partial to Gretsch guitars. But Gibson? Nah

One thing I agree, I prefer US made guitars, strongly, I do think they are superior! And I'm not even American btw, not in a 'proud' sense you guys mean anyway, even though I live in US.. So there you go- I'm proudly playing non Gibson US made guitars, a one proud non-American guy.

User Info Menu

Bad, overinflated musician too, just like Jimmy Page 25 years before... Meanwhile ibanez signed up all the guys who could play..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    Bad, overinflated musician too, just like Jimmy Page 25 years before... Meanwhile ibanez signed up all the guys who could play..
    I always liked Jimmy Page and i still respect him. I suspect that people who don't respect him are not aware that their dislike is either a matter of personal taste or that they didn't take the time to listen well enough.

User Info Menu

Although he might have been a little sloppy at times, I think Jimmy Page was one of the most complete guitarists of his era. As a writer, he was on another level. While many others were not too busy keeping it simple, Jimmy took chances. The Rain Song, Kashmir, Over the Hills and Far away..
    In my opinion, Jimmy Page deserved every accolade he got.

Joe D.

User Info Menu

Jimmy was sloppy like Monk had 'bad' aim. A lot of gorgeous 'mistakes' in their phrasing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46

Were I to order a new Gibson archtop, it would be a Slaman.
    As well you might. But, it wouldn't really be a Gibson. Daniel makes quite exceptional amplified carved acoustics, and other makers do too. I have 3 Slamans, so I must be a fan. Often these guitars are hand-finished in a way that outshines many Gibsons. But Gibson have somehow defined and refined the Electric Archtop, a slightly different animal. The acoustic sound of the electric arch top Gibson may be just OK, but the amplified sound tends to just nail it.

I can say, though, that the truss rods on new Slamans always work

User Info Menu

Jimmy Page is one of the all time greats. Many think (including myself) that his solo on Stairway to Heaven is one of the best guitar solos ever. While Mr. Page is a well known Gibson player, that particular solo was done on a Fender Telecaster, another great American guitar.

User Info Menu

If you have ever heard them interviewed, every member of Led Zep is/was a musical savant. (No recent interviews with Bonzo, though, sadly.) Seriously, they are extremely conscientious musicians. They played up the rock god stuff to the hilt, but they knew what they were doing musically and otherwise.

Page was always a very accomplished player, I admit "sloppy" at times. Another famous musician said admiringly of him, at his best he played right up to the limits of his technique. I'd rather listen to a hundred sloppy but exciting players than one technically perfect but sterile player.

He is also a technological wizard and was responsible for many, many studio and concert innovations with Led Zep that have become standard for the genre.

I agree with you about Stairway. That's the way to structure a solo, get in and get out. BTW, the acoustic part was done with a Harmony Sovereign, a reissue of which I got a few years ago for $75--not a bad cheap guitar at all. I eventually gave it to my son.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 05-17-2016 at 06:19 PM.

User Info Menu

While I suppose it could be said that some of the all time great guitarists (Joe Pass, Barney Kessel, Jimmy Page, Larry Coryell) were sloppy at times, the fact that their playing is not always perfect confirms to me that they are indeed human.

As someone who stands in their shadows, I prefer to heap praise on these giants, not criticism. But, that is how I roll.

User Info Menu

When I hear the "giants" seeming to play sloppy or make mistakes, I realize that in fact, they really are improvising. They are like surfers riding a wave, and sometimes they will slip or slide a little as the wave shifts. Improvising musicians are going to make mistakes. Joe Pass left them in the recordings. That's honesty, another thing we all love about the giants!

User Info Menu

While I suppose it could be said that some of the all time great guitarists (Joe Pass, Barney Kessel, Jimmy Page, Larry Coryell) were sloppy at times, the fact that their playing is not always perfect confirms to me that they are indeed human.

As someone who stands in their shadows, I prefer to heap praise on these giants, not criticism. But, that is how I roll.
    In Page's case, it only confirms he was indeed stoned. He doesn't belong in a sentence with Pass and Kessel, sorry.

User Info Menu

I have a 2007 Gibson ES 335 that my wife bought for me for my 50th. For the last few years I stopped playing electric and was playing a Cordoba nylon string. But lately I have been breaking out the Gibson with my band, and you know what? It is a joy to play. The sustain is crazy good. The action and the feel are perfect. I did have a bunch of fret work done to it to make sure it was perfect, but now, it really is stunning. Enough said. I am sure there are other guitars which are better. But in my 47 years of playing I haven't found one.

User Info Menu

A little sloppy... musical genius ... well to each is own. The following to me is pure anti-music
    Led Zeppelin emanate such a dark vibe. That's from a film, so that's presumably the best they could play live at the time.
    All working musicians know that one can't be up there every night delivering the ultimate show and your presumption that this is the best they could play live is pure speculation.

But we sure get your message that you don't like Jimmy Page.

User Info Menu

We use to think Jimmy Paige was such a good guitarist! Now I know that he was being weighed down by a really heavy guitar!

User Info Menu

A little sloppy... musical genius ... well to each is own. The following to me is pure anti-music.
    Led Zeppelin emanate such a dark vibe. That's from a film, so that's presumably the best they could play live at the time.
    That's not a great performance. During that period drugs did have an impact on the Zep's performances. The best live performance I've heard is on the How the West Was Won album, recorded in LA. In my opinion all the performances on that disk (painstakingly remastered in the studio) are excellent, if you like rock and Led Zep of course.

User Info Menu

In Page's case, it only confirms he was indeed stoned. He doesn't belong in a sentence with Pass and Kessel, sorry.
    I don't know if Page could play Cherokee or Giant Steps at tempo (I suspect he could with practice), but I am quite sure Joe and Barney couldn't play Whole Lotta Love with a violin bow.