The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I am looking to get a good Jazz/Blues amp and it seems this amp may be what I am looking for.

Has anyone had any experience with this amp model with the 15'' speaker?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Silence
    I am looking to get a good Jazz/Blues amp and it seems this amp may be what I am looking for.

Has anyone had any experience with this amp model with the 15'' speaker?
    I plugged into one briefly at the local Guitar Centre with an archtop I picked off the wall. It sounded real good clean and cut through all the 13 year old shredders with pointy head guitars plugged into Marshalls. I would do one in a heartbeat if it was cheap enough.

User Info Menu

Yes, very nice amp. Covers blues real well and the clean sounds would be nice for jazz.

User Info Menu

Just a little info, the Peavey Delta Blues is exactly the same amp as the Peavey Classic 30 but with a 15" speaker. I haven't tried a Delta Blues but I love my C30. I usually play it with a 1x12 cab.

Yeah, I haven't been able to find a store around me where they have peavey amps, kinda sucks.

I'd had heard that the classic 30 and delta blues were almost identical, with the exception of the speaker. I was really digging all the various tones you could get out of the classic thirty, I just want that 15'' speaker for a deeper lower end and the tremolo to go with it. I was going to swap the speaker out of the delta blues with a weber, and get some new tubes from euro tubes to see if it could pull off a lot of the sounds of the classic 30 . . . . What are your thoughts?

Is it possible to add a reverb tank or replace it in one of these amps for better reverb?

User Info Menu

Yeah, I haven't been able to find a store around me where they have peavey amps, kinda sucks.

I'd had heard that the classic 30 and delta blues were almost identical, with the exception of the speaker. I was really digging all the various tones you could get out of the classic thirty, I just want that 15'' speaker for a deeper lower end and the tremolo to go with it. I was going to swap the speaker out of the delta blues with a weber, and get some new tubes from euro tubes to see if it could pull off a lot of the sounds of the classic 30 . . . . What are your thoughts?

Is it possible to add a reverb tank or replace it in one of these amps for better reverb?
    Well, you might like the amp stock as is. It really does sound nice. I forget if it has an effects loop but if it does, the Fender reverb unit (the one that looks like an amp head) sounds really nice. I used one of these in the effects loop of a Peavey Bandit back in the mid 90's. Really nice reverb there.

I just checked out the reverb unit, and it is pretty nice . . . . . a little pricy as well. I wish I could get something like that, but I guess at this point, I am looking for something simple to carry around, without multiple parts.

I am not too informed on if the delta blues has a reverb tank . . .does it?

User Info Menu

I just checked out the reverb unit, and it is pretty nice . . . . . a little pricy as well. I wish I could get something like that, but I guess at this point, I am looking for something simple to carry around, without multiple parts.

yes it has reverb and optical termolo.
    Last edited by bluemood; 07-01-2009 at 07:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes, it is pricey (forgot to mention that part). An alternative to this reverb unit is the new Fender Reverb pedal from Boss. It is made of a simulation of this exact Fender Reverb head unit. I haven't tried it yet but the demos over at the Roland site sound pretty convincing.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productde...1&ParentId=255

Still, you may like the reverb that comes with the Delta fine enough.
    Last edited by bfloyd6969; 07-02-2009 at 12:00 AM.

yeah I was browsing reverb pedals last night, and I saw that new fender reverb pedal on proguitarshop.com . . . .

I came across this pedal called the spring chicken reverb though . . . .it is B-A. and seems like one of the best bets in reverb pedals that isn't over $200. I am going to check out the fender pedal though, thanks. here is the video for the spring chicken reverb for anyone who is interested:

User Info Menu

yeah I was browsing reverb pedals last night, and I saw that new fender reverb pedal on proguitarshop.com . . . .

I came across this pedal called the spring chicken reverb though . . . .it is B-A. and seems like one of the best bets in reverb pedals that isn't over $200. I am going to check out the fender pedal though, thanks. here is the video for the spring chicken reverb for anyone who is interested:

I've heard about the Spring Chicken but never pursued it because it's out of my price range

User Info Menu

My Fender amp has been giving me trouble lately, so I remebred that a friend of mine has a Peavey Delta Blues that he said I could use at first I said that's ok no thanks, because I remembred playing through it and it sounded very brite and harsh ...I asked him to bring it over the other night and leave it so I can play it... I find it to sound very good warm and round on the clean channel, before it had the boost button pushed in that's what made it sound brite and adds lite drive to it very versitale amp IMO...From a nice jazz clean to a lite brake up with the boost on the clean channel ...The drive sound very good blues to rock with the EL 84's ...The pots all do thier job very well better than my fender HRD...The reverb sound good the term also useable both are good not as good as fender but useable...The 15 inch speaker also not bad give a nice deep warm tone not overly bassy my fender is more bassy ...The EL 84's don't sound bad at all I was very surprised I always used 6L6...Loud enough to play most gigs with 30 watts you can turn it up and get a very nice natural tube breake up.
    Last edited by bluemood; 07-03-2009 at 07:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Is anyone using a Delta Blues 1x15 primarily for a clean jazz tone? Hows the head room?

From reading Harmony Central reviews, everyone seems to be swapping tubes for JJ tubes and putting in Weber Californian speakers, but some amp owners are never happy with stock. It's just that it bumps this amp from $640.

Ive own both the 15 and 210 version of the Peavey Delta blues amp. They are very good amp. I used a 210 for blues but I loaded it with Jensen PR 10s to get a smoother breakup and I could control it with the volume control on my guitar. The 15 was great for Jazz a very warm sound afriend of mine put a JBL 15 in his and it did give him a little more headroom,but I never did I didnt see the need. Iam not a big fan of EL84 tubes but these are nice amps and so is the classic 30 and one I played for along time was a classic 50 410. You can find these Delta Blues amps on ebay fairly cheap. I sold the all mine wish I hadnt now.

And yes I did put JJ tubes in them both.

User Info Menu

After playing my friends delta blues for awhile IMO I don't dig it loud turned up it seen to loose bottom end and the mids really bump up I'm sure it's the EL 84...At room volume it just fine.

User Info Menu

I think the Peavey Classic 30/50 and Delta Blues are some of the best tube amps out there for the $. Imo they smoke the Hot Rod series that Fender puts out. However, they would not be my first choice for jazz.

Any speaker you put in to get cleaner tone is going to have a higher efficiency rating, and will be tougher to break up for blues I would think. Seems to me you are after different tones with those two genres. However, you can do what SRV and a generation of blues players have done, and put a OD pedal in front of a clean Fender amp.

User Info Menu

I was just wondering what was the least expensive, current, 1x15" tube amp was, that works for jazz.

Does it have to be a tube amp I dont know of very many tube amps with 15s that are cheap. For the money I would say the Delta Blues with the 15. You might check out some Steel guitar amps Ive seen some Jazz guitarist in K.C. and St Louis MO. use them with 15s. Fender had a Twin type amp at one time with a 15 but they are big bucks used.

User Info Menu

There's a Fender model made I think was made in the '60's, maybe early '70's with a pair of 6V6's and one 15" speaker called the Bass Master or MusicMaster or something like that. Around 18 watts. In the past I've seen a couple relatively cheap on Craigslist and Ebay--$150-200 range. I'm currently using at home a 15" transistor amp that was apparently sold by Montgomery Wards and maybe other discounters some decades ago. It has 3 inputs--bass, flat and guitar. Probably a keyboard amp. Just vol., bass & treble. It sounds real good with my JP & teleclone with CC type pickups and also with my DeArmond slab with Goldtones. The bass input sounds best to me and I can't do the volume over 1.5-2 or the dog wails and the neighbors fidget. Weighs about 25 pounds and cost $20 in my fav pawnshop. A month later the guy had another one and I gave him $40 for that. (Dollar-cost averaging). Haven't hooked the Champ to it to see how a 6V6 sounds because the Champ output is 3.6 ohms & the 15" inchers are 8 ohms. There's nothing like a 15" to move air, especially a low volume.