The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Thinking about buying a Bud. I go to a regular open mic where performers often bring a small combo amp. Plugging into the PA at this one is extremely unpredictable.

I am thinking the Bud would be good for an acceptable jazz archtop sound, (I don't get too focused on hitting a historically accurate sound). I just like something that sounds good to my ears. I am also thinking that this would work well with the MK - Rick Turner Nylon guitar, that I purchased in the spring.

I am thinking I could explore using it for small duo gigs, and perhaps using it for vocals as well.

It seems to offer an lot of versatility having line and speaker outputs. I see the latest model also has an effects loop feature. (Individual for each channel)

There is no dealer nearby and have not had an opportunity to try one.

I did have an opportunity to compare an AER compact 60 to a Schertler Jam 150 and found it very easy to dial in a tone I liked with the AER.

I drive a small Prius C, and don't have a lot of room, after the bass player puts her rig in it. A 17lb 9 x 9 x 9 package seems to be quite attractive.

I have spent way too much time thinking about a small amp without making a decision. This gear stuff really does seem to use up way too much of my time. I need to get that under control some how.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

One Bud question comes to mind. How are they at low volumes? Are there any problems with noise or hiss?

User Info Menu

I just turned mine on. Without the instrument plugged in, you have to put the input gain and volume close to 9:00 to get audible hiss (ie, hiss you can hear in a normal playing position). That's insanely high; normally you would have the controls no higher than 3 for practice volume, I think. With stuff plugged in, you would get hum from the guitar pickup, lights, etc., as with any amp.

Mine has makes two pops if turned on with the volume up. I called them about it, and was told that that is normal; it has to do with the phantom power. You can call them and ask questions like this; it is a small operation. I think that the return policy is good on these; even if you have to pay the freight back, that is going to be pretty cheap.

Portability is crazy great; it fits under an airline seat. It is heavy for its size, which is not to say that it is heavy, just solidly built. I have not played out.

Interesting about the pop on turn on. I am not sure if other combo amplifier manufacturers address this in design.

With a separate mixer and powered speakers, I always make sure the mixer is on first before turning on the speakers to prevent pops. On power off, I always turn the powered speakers off first.

I suppose they could have addressed in the design with an appropriate timer and switching device, but I am sure there can't be a lot of free real estate in that little box.

I gather phantom power must be on all of the time with these. I do not see a phantom power on off switch as I usually see with devices that can provide phantom power.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I'd second the suggestion to talk to Michael Biller of Sound Island Music. A gigging guitarist himself. Was a lot of help to me in getting the rig I've been using. In fact, I intend to contact him next fall about the Bud, myself!

User Info Menu

9 O'Clock is high?!?

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    I just turned mine on. Without the instrument plugged in, you have to put the input gain and volume close to 9:00 to get audible hiss (ie, hiss you can hear in a normal playing position). That's insanely high; normally you would have the controls no higher than 3 for practice volume, I think. With stuff plugged in, you would get hum from the guitar pickup, lights, etc., as with any amp.

Mine has makes two pops if turned on with the volume up. I called tho m about it, and was told that that is normal; it has to do with the phantom power. You can call them and ask questions like this; it is a small operation. I think that the return policy is good on these; even if you have to pay the freight back, that is going to be pretty cheap.

Portability is crazy great; it fits under an airline seat. It is heavy for its size, which is not to say that it is heavy, just solidly built. I have not played out.

User Info Menu

I thought the Bud was best suited for amplifying acoustic instruments. It did not pair well with my Painter P-175. Best thing to do is try it for yourself. They have an excellent return policy.

User Info Menu

Not 9-o'clock...rather 9/10.

Some SS guitar amps do pop at power on without a delay circuit. Polytones pop, too.

i think the Bud is a great, small amp for your application.

User Info Menu

> 9 O'Clock is high?!?

yikes, sorry ... I had it backwards. hiss audible at 3:00, normal playing around 9:00. In other words, you have to almost dime it to get audible hiss.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Greentone;636714

Polytones pop, too.

[/QUOTE]

They certainly do; even a suppressor across the switch terminals doesn't completely eliminate it. The funny thing is that even in the Seventies, the amps were designed with a soft turn-on feature that "provides almost noiseless turn on of the unit" ( quote from '78 PA 378 service manual).

Clearly that feature needed a bit more work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko
    I thought the Bud was best suited for amplifying acoustic instruments. It did not pair well with my Painter P-175. Best thing to do is try it for yourself. They have an excellent return policy.
    Any chance you ever tried an AER compact 60?

Did you find anything else at that weight, that you liked better? I did notice a number of the videos on line seem to demonstrating the Bud with an external cabinet hooked up.

User Info Menu

The competitor that gets mentioned most frequently is the mambo, which I also considered carefully. From reviews and folks who have tried both, the mambo has a more traditional electric guitar amp sound (it has a switch to make it sound fenderish). The Bud has more features, and is pitched equally at acoustic instruments and microphones. There are lots of knobs and switches on both amps that theoretically would permit a wide range of sounds, so I don't think you would be disappointed either way. I got sold on the Bud by the feature list.

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    The competitor that gets mentioned most frequently is the mambo, which I also considered carefully. From reviews and folks who have tried both, the mambo has a more traditional electric guitar amp sound (it has a switch to make it sound fenderish). The Bud has more features, and is pitched equally at acoustic instruments and microphones. There are lots of knobs and switches on both amps that theoretically would permit a wide range of sounds, so I don't think you would be disappointed either way. I got sold on the Bud by the feature list.
    I often see it being compared to the AER Compact 60/3 as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    I often see it being compared to the AER Compact 60/3 as well.
    Don't know about the Bud, but I'd say, having owned several mambos and working quite often with AER players, that the mambo and AER are very different amps. The mambo is a fat, solid-sounding electric jazz guitar amp, and the newer fender option gives extra versatility. As I understand it, the AER compact is an electro-acoustic amp, with a twin-cone speaker for extra highs.

I think the AER Compact is a good acoustic amp, but find it thin and brittle for electric guitar. It's great at what it was intended for - i.e. electro-acoustics. AER do a different electric guitar amp called cheeky D., which indicates that even they might agree.

I'd imagine the Bud would be closer to the mambo that the AER, not that I've heard or tried one.

User Info Menu

I can't really compare my Bud to other amps but I will say it sounds like my guitars, only louder! I play a custom Heritage H575 with a single humbucker, and a Guild A150 with a DeArmond 1100 and I love the tones. I also play my Telecaster through it and while it's not the ideal amp for that "Tele-tone" I like what I hear!

User Info Menu

Are the Bud's electronics different than Henriksen's main offerings? I don't mean "features", I mean the main electronics responsible for its sound.

Because if not, then I don't see why the Bud would sound different than a Henriksen head plugged into a small closed-back cabinet.

I happen to have a RE6 cabinet that weighs about 17.5 lbs and it definitely sounds like an electric guitar amp when I run my Henriksen head into it. In fact, that combination goes together VERY well.

User Info Menu

> Are the Bud's electronics different than Henriksen's main offerings?
    http://henriksenamplifiers.com/the-bud-amp/
    https://henriksenamplifiers.com/the-jazz-amp/

Note the frequencies on the low and mid knobs. Not sure what the difference would be, but it is different.

User Info Menu

Not sure about whether the electronics are different, I'm under the impression that the amp as a whole was voiced to be more for acoustic reproduction...One interesting new feature is that in the current units the tweeter can be defeated, which might help to get more of an archtop sound. I found the BUD I tried (with non defeating tweeter) a bit bright (as compared to a 110 ER) on demo.

User Info Menu

If you do buy the Bud I highly recommend that you go through Sound Island as Michael is a top notch guy. I bought a Henriksen Alfresco from him and it was a wonderful transaction and a great amp. I've never played the Bud but if it's anything like my Alfresco it's a great amp.

User Info Menu

Ditto the feedback for the excellent service from Michael at SoundIslandMusic. He'll definitely be able to give a lot of feedback on the BUD and how it is differently voiced from other amps etc.