The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 77 of 77

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy View Post
    Yeah. I would say it's purely decorative. I like the look. The one on my 175 has lasted 61 years so far. And the fake one on my Japanese copy has lasted around 50 years at a guess.

I obviously wasn't clear enough. It's less about the general durability of the whole part (which is hardly or only slightly influenced by the zigzag wires) than about the introduction of force in terms of a strict definition of the vibrating string length of the outer strings. Most tailpieces will outlive us.

To each his own. I agree that this essentially T-bar shaped tailpiece without those zigzags probably wouldn't come across as particularly attractive to many players.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Doc, I'm quite sure that Gibson did not consider the relationship of the zig zag tailpiece element to the introduction of force in terms of a strict definition of the vibrating string length of the outer strings. They designed it to look cool and remind consumers of TV antennas. TV! The future!

Without the zigzags, that Gibson tailpiece would look as silly as this ABM / Framus one with the outriggers removed:
    Attached Images Attached Images Why Isn't the Original Zigzag Gibson ES-175 Tailpiece Available?-abm-framus-tp-jpg