The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 299

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    So on the topic of Tals, why are these guitars not more popular? I prefer them over the 175 (although of course they are wonderful of it’s a good one), it’s going to feel safer bringing a Tal over an L5 to certain gigs where a carved guitar might potentially have issues - I’ve wondered why there are so few players looking out there compared to the L5 and 175. I would think considering how good it is that it should be equally as popular as those two models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I would think its mainly because it is a signature guitar associated with a specific artist.
    It also seems you either love or hate its unusual appointments...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not to mention very few TF guitars are made with many years were they made zero for that year. The VSB in my pic above is the only TF that was made in 2018. They brought it back in 1993 but production has been on and off.
    Everyone loves 175’s. Tal’s either you love or hate them though they are a far superior guitar.
    Even in the original years from 1962-67 they only made a tad over 200 of them.

User Info Menu

i thought there were some made in 2018 because musicians friend says they can ship this august. maybe they thinking 2019s already?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    i thought there were some made in 2018 because musicians friend says they can ship this august. maybe they thinking 2019s already?
    Yes it is now 2019. If you buy one now from MF you “ might “ get it by 8/31/19 per their website.

User Info Menu

Sadly the Tal Farlow model used to be the best Gibson secret and was the same price as a 175. The secret got out and Gibson took note and jacked up the price. LOL ! The only people that don’t love Tal Farlows are the guys not playing them. Delicious tone and the neck profile is the same as a L5. They play like butter.

User Info Menu

Ah I forgot how limited they were back in the day. Not having access to the sacred golden days guitars probably doesn’t help but they are so good. I guess I can see the signature thing being an issue too although it’s never bugged me. Doesn’t seem to keep people from wanting a Wes L5 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    I play a 175, and the only reason I haven't purchased a tal is the scale length. isn't that like the same as a telecasterI ? That's a huge difference
    I have a Tal and a Byrdland the difference between them is
    a 25.5" and 23.5" scale and 20frets opposed to 22 frets But
    there is no difficulty switching between them, even having
    small hands in my case presents no problem , I suggest that
    you try a Tal, you may be pleasantly surprised.

User Info Menu

Yes, it is the same as the Tele.

User Info Menu

Prior to pulling the trigger on mine, I played two Tals, an ES-175, and an L5.

My favorite was the L5, but sadly, I'm not made of $$$.

I liked the ES-175 and the Tal I bought, and I didn't really note that one was better than the other, but the Tal just felt better, and had the tone I was after. The 3 inch body with 17" lower bout was a factor. Slim, but nice and round. Truthfully the scale length differences are meaningless to me--I own guitars at 24.75, 25 and 25.5 already, and really don't notice much difference, except that I do go with lighter gauges on the 25.5s.

Pretty sure I would have been very happy with the ES-175.

Since my OP, I've restrung with LaBelle Jazz flats, 12s--very happy with the tone I'm getting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dickbanks
    My favorite was the L5, but sadly, I'm not made of $$$.
    On a certain level, there is no "better" anymore. The L5 is not a better guitar, just different.The TF does the TF thing and does that better than any L5

Personally, I think a used TF is the best value for money Gibson ever made, at least as far as contemporary guitars are concerned.

DB

User Info Menu

Time to fire up this old thread to celebrate New Tal Farlow Day! (Actually it was this past Wednesday, but I’ve been spending time with it and bonding). First, let me say that the almost universal praise for this model is totally warranted—this guitar is superb. It plays as nice as (if not better than) my L-5 and the neck is just a touch chunkier (which I love). The neck wood is AAAA and the plates and sides are fairly flamey and quilty. Although I prefer flats, it arrived with a new set of TI Bebop 12s on it. The tone is so full and resonant—the low notes ring like the bass notes on a Steinway grand. Amazing guitar.

I hate to mess with perfection, but I’ll hold off a few days to change strings—a.) because it sounds so good now; and b.) because I’m out of JS112s . I have a set of JS113s but want to start with 12s. I hope I can find a couple sets quickly despite the lockdown.

Here are a few pics I snapped this evening. Thanks for letting me gush!

Roli

Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-c9bf0dbe-841c-4997-9368-5a90a4837f93-jpg

Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-b28af3e8-7767-4bc7-9a1d-b16ce81c61dc-jpg

Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-3213e4f7-f62c-4e0f-8e91-228279335a6d-jpg

Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-4bac44c9-0604-4aaf-9ec7-d12facf577dc-jpg

Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-6c1bb998-37c2-44d0-ad4b-d889fcbc0fce-jpg

User Info Menu

I always liked Tal's and almost bought a '64 last yr. but thought the switch placement would result in my accidently hitting it while playing, especially since I play between the pickups often.
    congrats and enjoy that one!

User Info Menu

Always nice to see that thread revived, my honeymoon phase is still going on...

Welcome to the Tal appreciation club rolijen
    Yours is a beauty, play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Rol, it is a beautiful guitar a gem and as good as they get.

User Info Menu

Thanks, friends!

I have been watching for a mint Tal in either VSB or Viceroy Brown and couldn’t pass on this one. Although the photos above make it look like a darker burst (I didn’t use flash and my exposure is a little dark), there is actually quite a bit of red in the burst as captured in these iPhone pics:

Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-a45db6e6-4b7c-4320-aa88-a78c3ab7f594-jpeg

Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread-304af8bd-78c7-4f35-bfed-257816c06ee3-jpeg

Have a great weekend, everyone. Stay safe and healthy!

Roli

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I always liked Tal's and almost bought a '64 last yr. but thought the switch placement would result in my accidently hitting it while playing, especially since I play between the pickups often.
    congrats and enjoy that one!
    I was curious about the switch placement as well. But, it tucks into a little space near the curve of the pickguard. You kind of have to feel for it. No chance of hitting it accidentally.

Roli

User Info Menu

It is Gorgeous Roli. I am glad you got that guitar.
    You know, we were eyein it up together and I’m glad it went to someone who is gonna love it, appreciate it and play it!
    Once again, absolutely Gorgeous. You bought the right guitar, at the right price.
    Thanks to Vinny, Vinlander and DBopper - I saw the light. Tals are outstanding guitars.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Congrats! Have to say I had my eye on that one too. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Aw.....you guys are killin' me!! I love Tal Farlows. I want one. Now. Not to be until this pandemic is completely over and I can go back to my p/t job. As I've stated in other threads that job is my "toy fund". I'd also be happy with a single humbucker ES175 or single humbucker L5CES. Or, perhaps a custom Heritage? Then there are all the custom boutique one man/woman archtop guitar shops.

I do have an outstanding single humbucker Eastman AR580CE that does it's job as well as anything else out there. But I'm anxious to add to it with what I described above. And, maybe an ES335 based guitar too for my overdriven, progressive, "fusion", funk, jazz guitar. Then I'd be done for good. Really. No, really. I mean it. Seriously. Really! I swear! Believe me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    It is Gorgeous Roli. I am glad you got that guitar.
    You know, we were eyein it up together and I’m glad it went to someone who is gonna love it, appreciate it and play it!
    Once again, absolutely Gorgeous. You bought the right guitar, at the right price.
    Thanks to Vinny, Vinlander and DBopper - I saw the light. Tals are outstanding guitars.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Joe D
    Thanks, Joe. You and Vinny were particularly gracious and helpful in this decision. The videos you posted early in this very thread were the key factor in turning me around on this model. I stupidly thought Tals were gaudy goofy guitars until you and others helped me see the real beauty and magic in the formula--it's near perfect. I'm also grateful to all our fellow forumites for sharing what works for them and what doesn't. Makes this journey so much more enjoyable.

Roli
    Last edited by rolijen; 04-26-2020 at 08:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kevmoga
    Congrats! Have to say I had my eye on that one too. Enjoy.
    I feel fortunate! I noticed last night that the Viceroy Brown Tal in Hawaii has a price reduction. It looks like it has more oxidation on the hardware, but that's part of the Gibson vibe and you can bet its been well hydrated spending its whole life over there. PSA: Gibson Tal Farlow 1996 Viceroy Brown Sunburst | | Reverb

User Info Menu

The toggle is actually in the best place ever. Quick to get to and never in the way. Tal Farlow thought out his design very carefully as did Johnny Smith. Congrats Roli ! Hard to say if Gibson will make them again. If they do it will be big $$$ I am sure.

User Info Menu

Regarding the position of the Toggle Switch, at around 1:27:15 Tal switches to the bridge pickup for his pinched harmonics

User Info Menu

One thing I am noticing today as I play is quite a bit of buzzing coming from the ABR-1 bridge. Especially the A string saddle. I jammed some slivers of foam into the voids behind the saddle and it's a little better. I wonder if I might try a wooden saddle on this bridge base or fit a new rosewood bridge to this guitar. I notice Tal himself is using a wooden saddle on his guitar in the video above (Post #173). Any of you using a wood saddle? Or have tips to quiet the swarm of bees that apparently live inside this tune-o-matic bridge?

Roli

User Info Menu

I cannot resist answering this thread, the Tal Farlow has long been underrated
    , usually by those who have not played one. May I repeat ( ad infinitum) that tho'
    they are an unusual design, it is attractive, having had three in over twenty years
    I can safely say that I am a fan of the model. My current Viceroy Brown TF I bought
    new was a Crimson Custom shop built guitar. In terms of playability and sound it
    might be difficult to differentiate between an L5 and a TF, in a blindfold test.
    Fans of the instrument might agree that discontinuing , this and and other very
    popular and desirable Gibson Archtops, was a major faux pas by the Company
    under its current management.