The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 102
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Wood binding is VERY sexy, and with wood you don't need to worry about binding rot, like some American arch tops (Ibanez too), but then again with a ebony guard you don't have outgassing guards...
    outgassing worries is the least of our problems mate. That's gonna be somebody else's problem in 40 years!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    That is the gold standard in packing. I'm very impressed.

The guitar is beautiful. The pickup choice is fabulous.

I like the 22 frets, too. There are those who argue that this will shift the pickup to close to the bridge. To them I say, you will always find something to bitch about. The frequency nodes shift location depending on where you are fretting. If there is a little loss in low frequencies with a slight shift in pickup placement, adjust your amp or pluck your strings a little closer to the neck. It's a small price to pay to avoid reaching for a high D and finding nothing there.

Play the hell out of that thing, sir and enjoy it!
    Well you see, there was this guy, and he built a few guitars, and some were 22 frets, I think his name was D'Aquisto?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    outgassing worries is the least of our problems mate. That's gonna be somebody else's problem in 40 years!
    I dunno I got a lot of gas that's getting out even now, and I'm just 61... oh... you mean pick guards...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Hey Jeff...18", being a Super Kenny Burrell and X700 owner, you know it!
    Ah--18" as in the title of your thread I just noticed!!!-

User Info Menu

I must say, what these folks are doing is pretty special. The notion that they can build to order with almost any specs imaginable is a hell of an accomplishment almost regardless of the price.

User Info Menu

yoh man 2B, wish you were taking photos of Blondie, you're good !!

Mr Wu 18" Arrives-image-jpg

User Info Menu

Absolutely stunning, 2b. Congrats. (I may run with your design and call my next Mr. Wu build "Blue Turnip"...)

User Info Menu

​Lol Nils

User Info Menu

She's mighty big, but, she is SO Pretty!

Congratulations.

Pardon me guys...I've been busy playing a new arrival

So, surprising to me, I successfully installed the bridge adjusted action height a few times, checked intonation, and dug into her. The action is nothing short of playable, this without so much as a pro setup. Even the frets seem fine as is. Big surprise.

As my intuition suggested when I placed this order as is, the sustain is off the charts, as each note seems to ring out much longer than any acoustic I've previously owned. It's tone is robust, and while deep on the low end and throughout the midrange the treble's clarity makes the guitars overall voice seem well balanced. It's acoustic volume is akin to playing a flattop, and yet it displays the voice control common to an archtop.

The biggest first impression plus right now is the action...it plays so effortlessly it almost feels like I'm playing a smaller 18" than what it is. I attribute that to the neck profile...if I did a blindfold memory test I'd swear I was playing a Gibson Lucille. Great neck!

So in short, I've not located a single gremlin thus far. It sounds like a new acoustic. I can only imagine how the voice will mature in time.

The jury is in...this is definitely a guitar of merit, and I'll be ordering again. I can't imagine why anyone would not want to order one of these guitars to add to their stable. Next up for me will be a single humbucker 18", which eventually will replace my Heritage 18.

Some daylight pics today...

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 03-03-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 03-03-2016 at 07:12 PM.

User Info Menu

2b,
    Absolutely fabulous, very glad to hear that is plays as well as it looks, a very class act.
    You must be extremely pleased with this wonderful acquisition.

User Info Menu

Like you I'm an 18" guitar fanatic. And sunburst is a must for me!

This is my 18" Fernando Jaen guitar built in Spain.

Mr Wu 18" Arrives-img_0044-jpgMr Wu 18" Arrives-img_0043-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by abelljo

Abelljo, yes, I've been waiting to see the Jaen! She's gorgeous!!! Go 18", or go home!

User Info Menu

2b ,
    A strikingly beautiful guitar. It looks like a very high end boutique built guitar. The sunburst is fantastic .

Good luck and enjoy playing!

User Info Menu

The looks are stunningly beautiful, and if she sounds as good as she looks.... .

2B, just a technical or perhaps artistic question. I don't (yet) own an archtop, but I assume that the 18 inch bout tends to have more volume and perhaps a deeper range of tone? For reasons of comfort I would like to consider a smaller guitar, perhaps a 16 in or so. How would you expect the tone or perhaps the volume of projection to vary with the smaller bout?

User Info Menu

Sometimes I like to compare the guitar to a drum. How does the size of a drum affect it's sound?

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    The looks are stunningly beautiful, and if she sounds as good as she looks.... .

2B, just a technical or perhaps artistic question. I don't (yet) own an archtop, but I assume that the 18 inch bout tends to have more volume and perhaps a deeper range of tone? For reasons of comfort I would like to consider a smaller guitar, perhaps a 16 in or so. How would you expect the tone or perhaps the volume of projection to vary with the smaller bout?
    Hi Jay!

I began with a 16" guitar. Soon after I acquired a 17" and I preferred its deeper tonality and acoustic resonance. Then one day I saw an 18" Super Eagle and just had to own one, without once giving consideration to comfort...not knowing I'd eventually develop a fetish of sorts for the greater tone and acoustic volume of an 18. A SE is a 17'' man's 18" archtop, due to their comfortable 3" depth. If one is comfortable with a 17 one is generally comfortable with an SE. 18's, to my ear, are simply more of the same, with the understanding that like any other guitar each is going to have its own unique voice. I liken guitar sound, to audio sound...it's all a matter of ones personal preference...I prefer the sound of an 18" guitar over any other size. Then there's that bass and sweet midrange...one can generally hear the difference.

So I determined a more accurate weight. Actual weight of this guitar is 5.9 pounds...Okay, so I was only off by a little more than a pound! I think my 16" Loar LH650 weighs more

User Info Menu

I'm really enjoying this thread and the other Blondie thread. I hope you will consider posting an acoustic clip with a microphone. Also, I don't know what the proper etiquette is about this...Did you mention anywhere how much it actually cost to do this? Or should I PM you the question? Thanks, and congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by kenhan
    I'm really enjoying this thread and the other Blondie thread. I hope you will consider posting an acoustic clip with a microphone. Also, I don't know what the proper etiquette is about this...Did you mention anywhere how much it actually cost to do this? Or should I PM you the question? Thanks, and congratulations!
    Hi Kenhan, yes I'll be posting clips once I get it dialed in and the pickup is installed. I'm having an extra weeks delay after acquiring the wrong tuners. Thanks to Stephen for having my back!

As to cost, PM user member YolandaTeam. Her name is Lora, and she's very helpful, and will answer any questions anyone has. As to cost she'll fill you in, but this guitar is within everyone's reach. There's no more affordable carved guitar built to ones own specs on the market that I'm aware of. It's initial cost was on par with a new Peerless Monarch...I'll spend another $400 on a '1100 reissue pickup and install, a pro setup, and Schaller Ebony tuners.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Longobardi
    2b ,
    A strikingly beautiful guitar. It looks like a very high end boutique built guitar. The sunburst is fantastic .

Good luck and enjoy playing!
    Thank you Steve! I've been admiring your Trenier threads too!!! The new website is fabulous...one of the best I've seen!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by abelljo

Someone needs to start an 18" thread with mandatory photos STAT!

User Info Menu

Greg,

Your Mr. Wu guitar looks great. Keep the pictures coming as you get it set up. I am particularly interested in how the guitar sounds--acoustically and electrically--given all that body volume.

GT

User Info Menu

Well, the wonderful US Customs Dept. is holding mine. The guy over the phone started giving possible reasons. First stating that the declaration for the cost wouldn't make sense for a custom built guitar. Then when I went to explain that it is unfinished and it's missing the parts then he said it wouldn't classify as a guitar therefore the description wouldn't be compliant. He says that if it doesn't have strings on it it is not a guitar. I then when to ask him that a car has it's tires removed makes it something else besides a car? He had no answer. I said that that was interesting and I said I never knew my guitars stopped being guitars for the few seconds they were stringless every time I changed strings. I think it will be released, but they are just giving me a hard time as someone in customs has to justify their job!

I wish I could have a gig like that! Government jobs are great! No possibility to ever get fired, and follow mindless and ridiculous regulations and rules.