The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 58

User Info Menu

Hi. I can't find out too much about the new Ibanez GB 10 se. I'm not sure if it is actually available in the uk or not yet? The LGB 30 is and is a little cheaper. I notice that the GB 10 se has different pups and is slightly deeper. I played an LGB 30 a while ago and loved it. Has anyone played both? Is it worth waiting and paying the very little extra to get the GB 10 se? I already have a Gibson es 175 which is my main gigging guitar for jazz so in no rush. Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If I was you, I would pick GB10se for more versatility

User Info Menu

Since you already have the Gibson es175 with set pickups, I'd get the gb10 with floaters. Then you'll have both

User Info Menu

According to Ibanez the Gb10 SE is shallower by 1/4" than the GB30 it is also 1/4" narrower than the GB10, Ibanez specs are notoriously unreliable but I can tell you for a fact that the GB30 is 3 5/8" deep as I have one here that has come in for some work to be done.

User Info Menu

Recently did a set-up on a friend's LGB30 and enjoyed the neck and pickups ( are they the 'real' Super '58s? Certainly they have engraving on the covers ) but found it overall pretty heavy compared to other ES-175 clones. The big thing with that model is the 'monkey metal' (https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=monkey+or+pot+metal) tailpiece under the lumpy rosewood cover. At the break point over the edge of the body the metal is cracking progressively and is soon likely to sheer off completely with all that that means. I see that Ibanez are still fitting that component. Prefer my AFJ95.

User Info Menu

I've replaced 2 of those tailpieces on LGB 30s with harp ones looks better as well IMO.

User Info Menu

I can get an LGB 30 for 250 less than the GB10se. But if it's too much like my 175 ( which I am very happy with) there may not be too much point.

User Info Menu

Any new feed back to this thread? I'm currently considering both. Pros and cons of each? Thanks.

User Info Menu

8 months in and I'm still in love with my GB10SE. I don't think it sounds at all like a 175. No issues whatsoever.

User Info Menu

There is à deal today in France on these guitars
    I'm on the verge to pull the trigger... this or LGB30..gosh hard to decide without trying trem.

User Info Menu

I've tried the GB30 and based on that experience I think that I'll recommend the GB10se without ever trying it.

That is, if you're gassing hard and moneys not an issue

User Info Menu

These two guitars are almost dead opposite each other, even though they carry George Bensons name on the inside label. Like the others have said if you already have a 175 style guitar get the GB10se. It's an amazingly versatile guitar... Vintage example of the more upscale GB10 can be found for not much more money if you are a careful shopper. I got my early '79nt for $1500.00 - it has the most remarkable woods I ever saw on any GB10 except maybe one Mr. Benson was playing specially made for his stage use.

User Info Menu

And what would you think beetween a nice example of a 1977 model 2355, really good shape, and a lgb30?
    I'm going a bit everywhere but I've also got the opportunity on a 2355.. the guy wants 1350€ for it.
    is that fair price?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    And what would you think beetween a nice example of a 1977 model 2355, really good shape, and a lgb30?
    I'm going a bit everywhere but I've also got the opportunity on a 2355.. the guy wants 1350€ for it.
    is that fair price?

Vintage instruments are nice, but you have to be careful. Having bought a lot of Chinese built instruments I will say this for them, Ibanez in particular: Ibanez tells a factory "here's a couple of sample guitars, can you make us 1000 (or whatever number) exactly like these ??" The Chinese factories can build whatever spec they are given, cheap, mid priced, expensive. I've seen it with many of the guitars I've owned: Ibanez in particular is putting out Chinese guitars with amazing fretwork. The GB10se or the LGB30 both will have amazing fret work, better than many American manufactures do.

Their usual short coming is in the electronics bundled into the guitar. You get nothing for free, the Chinese pickups, pots and wiring are not up to the caliber used in a MIJ Ibanez, they have to save money someplace.

Surely you have a lot of looking to do. Have you even played either the LGB30 or the GB10se ?? I like to tell guys "take YOUR AMP with you someplace and try them out". And Ibanez authorized dealer is likely to have both the LGB30 and GB10se. I won't say you'll like this guitar better or that guitar (comparing the LGB30 to the 2355)
    because I am not you playing through your amp. Capicse ??

User Info Menu

A 2355 will have a spruce top and birch back and rims. Because of its age you really want to thoroughly check it out before you buy it.

Also, listen to what Mike said and do that
    Last edited by jim777; 01-10-2017 at 06:02 PM.

User Info Menu

My understanding is the pickups on the SE are the same as on the MiJs; warm neck, sad thin bridge but useful in combination. Not potted, microphonic floaters on a laminate top goes against group wisdom but they work and the overall guitar and pickup design does resist feedback.

Where Ibanez seems to have saved money on the SE is on the wood figuring. It is very plain. Maybe the same wood as the MIJs but they send the pretty pieces to Japan.

User Info Menu

I've cruelly dubbed these inexpensive SEs to have a "clown burst", pretty much yellow and black.

The pickups aren't as good, I don't know how people figure Ibanez would do that. Geez

best bet, find an Ibanez dealer, even if ya gotta take a little road trip

and play them

Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 01-11-2017 at 12:19 AM.

User Info Menu

A road trip to play guitars.

Always a dangerous idea.

Ask me how I know this. No, please, don't.

User Info Menu

BigMike how can you be so affirmative that the pickups on the GB10 se aren't the same as the on the MIJ GB10?
    Maybe or maybe not? Do you have any official sources on the subject?

User Info Menu

I run the ICW group on Facebook. I know Ibanez
    I spent the last 15 years hanging at the IbanezCollectorsWorldForum.
    I've been to a few hayrides. Lately the info on the Ibanez websites is sorely misleading, at best.
    Whats your common sense tell you ??
    Ibanez LGB30 or GB10SE?-img_0713-jpg

And, have you looked on Reverb or been on eBay like I suggested ?? For what you'd pay for an SE there's a couple of gorgeous GB10nts for $400.00 or so more.

Wish I had a penny for every time someone told me the pickups were the same.

Don't listen to me...

Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 01-11-2017 at 06:45 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm not saying you are wrong, just wondering if you had an official source. On a french Web retailer the Se is 987€ which seems a great bargain, but I find it à bit suspicous. . The Gb10se seems to be scarce and they're already discounting them. I'm gonna wait and go for a guitar travel trip to try a bunch of hollowbodies to make up my mine.
    And yes I'd rather a real used one..

User Info Menu

I'm not saying you are wrong, just wondering if you had an official source. On a french Web retailer the Se is 987€ which seems a great bargain, but I find it à bit suspicous.
    Thomann is blowing them out as B-stock for 1155€, while Andertons list them at 999£ which is the same as Thomanns price.

Seems they might well be going the way of the Dodo
    Last edited by Lobomov; 01-11-2017 at 07:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Excuse me but was does "going down to the dodo" mean ( I'm french..)?

User Info Menu

So question... ive been pretty set on getting the gb10se for a while (waiting for this year's tax return to pull the trigger) but have recently been looking at the ss300 as well. This will be my first hollowbody but would like it to be as versatile as possible. I tend to play more on the funk/fusion/rock side of things as opposed to straight traditional jazz. Though ive been pretty into players like Ronny Jordan as of late and am looking to get more into that kinda playing.

Just looking to see how the ss300 might compare.
    Last edited by montroller; 01-11-2017 at 09:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Excuse me but was does "going down to the dodo" mean ( I'm french..)?
    The Dodo is a bird that is famous for being extinct

Ibanez LGB30 or GB10SE?-dodo-jpg