The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

I just got a Roland Cube60, and I really want some kind of nice overdrive in front of it for certain bluesy tracks. Something like Scofield, or a vintage rock sound.

I have been experimenting with some different pedals, including some starved tube, but I thought someone may have a suggestion.

Is there anything in a reasonable price range?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Depends on what resonable is of course - I've got a RAT2 from Proco, which does the trick on my Cube60. Sco uses RATs himself, with the overdrive turned all the way down.

User Info Menu

Proco rat .

User Info Menu

Is the vintage rat better than the rat2?

User Info Menu

It probably is, but I haven't tried one. I did try to find a vintage, but there weren't many out there and the prices were high.

User Info Menu

I always like TS9's (tube screamer) but haven't actually used on for a while. If I were to get something for distortion again though I would prbably get one of these (though they are pricey) AC Booster

User Info Menu

check out this web site ProGuitarShop.com/ go into their video library and compare tone.

User Info Menu

For me the Boss Blues Driver ist the best overdrive pedal for blues or rock (altough metal isn't really possible with it) and it doesn't cost that much.

all the best, Tobias

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by milessound
    I just got a Roland Cube60, and I really want some kind of nice overdrive in front of it for certain bluesy tracks. Something like Scofield, or a vintage rock sound.

I have been experimenting with some different pedals, including some starved tube, but I thought someone may have a suggestion.

From my vantage point, you need 2 things:

1) A TUBE pedal
    Seymour Duncan SFX03 from zZounds.com!

2) A new distortion role model. Scofield's tone absolutely sucks. It and he are just plain OBNOXIOUS, not to mention SOULLESS.

Scofield is NO Larry Carlton, Robben Ford or Carlos Santana when it comes to distortion, or doing anything remotely tasteful.

Imagine making a living by being an obnoxious fusion hack playing in jazz bands. Boggles the imagination.

User Info Menu

It all comes down to the ear of the beholder, I suppose. To me, Scofield has the nicest tone and feel of them all, plus he never seems to run out of ideas or is afraid to experiment.

But you're right, if you don't like Sco's tone, you shouldn't try and sound like him. And vice versa.

Per

User Info Menu

Inexpensive overdrive pedals that you might want to check out are the Digitech Bad Monkey and the Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive. Both are highly rated and great value for money.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by perfischer
    plus he never seems to run out of ideas or is afraid to experiment.

Per

I grew tired of being his guinea pig in 1989.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chito
    Inexpensive overdrive pedals that you might want to check out are the Digitech Bad Monkey and the Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive. Both are highly rated and great value for money.

Tubes is where tasteful distortion lies. Modelers can be fun however. I have a POD X3 Live, J-Station in addition to my tube preamp.

User Info Menu

I love Scofield's tone, and his funky, bluesy tunes especially. I do agree his experimentation can be a bit much at times, but I think he is definitely one of the best. I like Rosenwinkel a lot too, especially with the Brian Blade Fellowship.

I picked up a Rat yesterday, and the sound is very nice to me. With the distortion pretty low (about 7 or 8 o'clock) and the filter pretty high (around 2 or 3 o'clock) it really gives a nice vintage tone. I actually like it better than the tube pedal I have - it has more presence and low end.

I think the starved tubes are a bit overrated, although I have not used some of the high end tube pedals, like the new Boogie vt whatever it is.

User Info Menu

I love Scofield's tone, and his funky, bluesy tunes especially. I do agree his experimentation can be a bit much at times, but I think he is definitely one of the best. I like Rosenwinkel a lot too, especially with the Brian Blade Fellowship.

I picked up a Rat yesterday, and the sound is very nice to me. With the distortion pretty low (about 7 or 8 o'clock) and the filter pretty high (around 2 or 3 o'clock) it really gives a nice vintage tone. I actually like it better than the tube pedal I have - it has more presence and low end.

I think the starved tubes are a bit overrated, although I have not used some of the high end tube pedals, like the new Boogie vt whatever it is.
    Which Rat did you buy ,and how do you think it would sound good in a polytone mini brute IV?Thanks

User Info Menu

I got the Rat2. I asked for the vintage Rat, but it is apparently out of production. I could find it at amazon, but it was $114 as opposed to $89 for the Rat2. There is a youtube video demonstrating both, and I liked the vinttage better a bit, but they are comparable.

The tone is great, as long as the distortion is not set too high. When you turn up the gain, it sounds more like grunge distortion (Smashing Pumpkins without the layering) - a bit muddy for my tastes and certainly not for blues/jazz.

I have never used a polytone amp, but I imagine the quality of the amp would only improve the tone of the pedal. I could not say for sure.

User Info Menu

have anybody tried VOX satchurator or T.C. Electronic ''vintage dual distortion''?

+ To JAZZARIAN - x3 live is OK with jazz guitar? I just have me 50 and I can't make a descision- me 50 with good drive or x3 live..

User Info Menu

I use a Boss BD-2 with Monte Allums H2O PLus mod. The pedal was $65 used, and the mod kit was $26. Now it competes with the boutique pedals.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Toms M
    have anybody tried VOX satchurator or T.C. Electronic ''vintage dual distortion''?

+ To JAZZARIAN - x3 live is OK with jazz guitar? I just have me 50 and I can't make a descision- me 50 with good drive or x3 live..
    You'll have to let your ears be the judge. Like I've said, for serious archtop work, I hear artifacts and see actual waveform examples of "funnies" while processing the note. It's not quite perfect (DSP), even the 2 processor X3 Live. I tried all the famous Fender patches, the Twin Reverb, Deluxe and Princeton, all exhibited the same.

For rhythm work, just strummin' a Stratocaster, it sounds just fine. Very nostalgic.

I might be a bit picky, but this old guy's ears can still hear many things.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Toms M

BTW, I really like the Soldano SLO100 patch on the X3. What a high gain hoot it is. Add some virtual pedals in front of it and it really goes wild.

THe Boogie Mark IIC+ patch is good too. I have an original IIc+ from 1985.

User Info Menu

I have line 6 XT live that I started using in the outboard effect loop of my polytone mini brute IV kind of cool due to that I can take it completetly out of my signal it's like having a true bypass in the loop...I don't like boosting the front end to much...I dig the Mesa mark C II+ as a lead tone...Great for practice, but I don't think I would use it live .
    Last edited by bluemood; 06-18-2009 at 06:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Scofield uses a Rat and although I dig his playing, I never got into the Rat.

I like the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive for overdrive. It has a clean knob to blend in your clean/uneffected tone. That tends to give the tone a more natural, organic tone.

Right now I'm really digging a TS808 type overdrive pedal by a small builder called Effects Pedal Boutique. He makes the SRB808 with a few option (clipping toggles, bass boosts, etc). Also a two in one dual SRB808 that is two of them in one pedal, so you can stack them or use them independently.

Another option, is a fuzz rather than an overdrive. Perhaps a Germanium fuzz, where you can dial down your guitars volume to get a lower gain fuzz. The sustain of fuzzes is nice. MJM makes some awesome fuzzes in just about every flavor. I have his London Fuzz. He also makes a TS808 clone.

User Info Menu

I still dig my Tonebone Classic. It is very versatile and gets lots of nice tones. I have had it for about 10 years now and have not replaced it with anything. Sounds great w/ other pedals in front of it, too.

=-) PJ

User Info Menu

When I was interested in overdriven sounds, I remember trying the Blue Tube pedal http://www.rainbowmusicshop.com/imag...etubeview1.jpg deliberately in front of the "worst" solid state amp they had in the store and was amazed by the way the pedal kicked life into it. Would have gigged with that tone.

I love you guys who dig Scofield's tone, it reminds me that we can be from other planets and still get along

User Info Menu

I love you guys who dig Scofield's tone, it reminds me that we can be from other planets and still get along [/quote]

Sco has actually had a few different tones over the years. His tone w/ his trio w/ Adam Nussbaum and Steve Swallow was pretty traditional. I think that is my favorite work of his though I tend to like most of his stuff. I think he is a player that you either dig or hate. His rhythmic unpredictability can be grating to some people.

=-) PJ