The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

If you occasionally enjoy playing bossa nova on a nylon string, and prefer something on a sub $500 budget I'd heartily recommend the Cordoba Fusion 12 model. These retail in the area of $800 but if you look around you can find them priced as I did this Indian Rosewood model. They're available in Spruce and Cedar tops as well, and there's a Fusion 14 model that's the identical guitar with a slightly longer more traditional guitar style fretboard layout.

A few standout features of the Cordoba's are their friendly 48mm nut width, radiused Ebony fretboard, Fishman Presys pickup system, quality craftsmanship, all with a Cordoba hard foam case or gig bag...I chose the foam case...overall it's a great budget nylon string guitar with excellent projection, tone, and playability

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

2B

i had the Fusion 14 in all rosewood, great easy to lay guitar. For the money (got mine used for $400.00) it was fantastic.

forgot to add, that the Cordoba Fusion line of nylon guitars also has an adjustable truss rod...pretty kewl huh!

User Info Menu

2b,
    I'm glad you got one of these. I came close to buying one just like it about a year ago. I especially like the full rosewood body. By the time I went to pull the trigger, it was sold.
    enjoy it buddy. Real nice guitar.
    JD

User Info Menu

Nice guitar! I really like my GK Pro flamenco. The truss rod is nice feature. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Nice!

Just played a few Cordoba models the other day...I was very impressed.

I'm all about nylon right now. Happens every winter, not sure why.

User Info Menu

Congratulations, lovely guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

I'm all about nylon right now. Happens every winter, not sure why.
    Maybe you need the additional warmth from those nylon strings!Cordoba Fusion 12 (Nylon String Guitar)

Thanks all! I've been in a Jobim mood for weeks, so I decided to give another nylon string a try without breaking the bank this time around. First impressions are this is a really well built and musical guitar. Allright, time to break out the mic's and mic stands!

User Info Menu

Cool, thanks for the tip 2b. A nylon string will be somewhere in the future ... Had a Godin model and did not like it. If it ever happens, I was thinking that a nylon archtop would be cool (in 2b'ish that would read "kwel", right :-)).

enjoy your new guitar!

User Info Menu

I heard a guy playing a great sounding Nylon String in a Guitar

Center through a Bose System a few months ago and went to the back of the Store to see what it was -a Cordoba.

He was checking the Bose System out but said he had an even better Cordoba at home.

Really nice even Tones a little less bottom than most Classicals...

I used to jam with Venezualan Percussionists on a Nylon String...and absorbed some of the Rhythms of the Quatro - and thought of getting another Nylon String..I wish they had Fret Marker Inlays on Nylon Strings....(serious)
    But the Cordoba he was playing was about
    $700 and sounded Great- like a fully Pro
    "Gypsy Kings" type Tone.

And really nice Amplified Tones.

Wasn't as pretty as yours though OP .
    Congrats and good tip for everyone - these are really nice Guitars to listen to for inspiration or for .your Audience
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 02-18-2016 at 08:57 AM.

User Info Menu

For guys that need fret markers there are those little fake pearl or abalone sticker sets all over eBay. I put a set of fake pearl block markers on my Eastman prototype just so I could see what I am doing (really almost blind guy here). Selection is vast and maybe some more "Gretsch" half circles on the edge of the fingerboard wouldn't look too weird. I've been meaning to take mine off simply because I like the look of the plain board better on the Eastman. Small markers aren't even $8.00 a set and are a breeze to apply and remove. You can play your heart out and they never peel or move.

You guys had me thinking about how much I liked all the features that Fusion 14 had - and I got a pristine example of the all rosewood model in the hard foam case for $400.00 - and it had a built in tuner and a nice lush tone plugged into my Fuchs.

Big

User Info Menu

Thanks for the review 2b. I've got a Godin Multiac nylon and I'm on the fence about it. I've been thinking about getting another nylon string guitar and this looks like it may fit the bill. The rosewood sure is beautiful. I'll definitely check them out.

User Info Menu

I love my Godin Multiac - great neck, versatile EQ, wayyyy better than my yamaha silent nylon. But, if set wrong, can get a little piezo quacky. And I like it much better with hard nylon strings. I have a Takamine CD132SC as well, fun to play acoustic, but that traditional neck thing keeps me from thumb overs, which I like to practice for Metheny and Klugh style playing at times.

You Multiac questioners might try harder strings and mess with your amps EQ more, there might be some tones in there you really like.

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure Godin reccomends hard tension strings for their pickup systems.

I auditioned a few when I bought mine, and truthfully, I wasn't really impressed with the pickup systems on most of the multiacs...But the system on the Duet Ambiance, which I bought? WHOA. Best plugged in acoustic I've ever heard, anywhere. I just love that guitar.

Now, If I needed a guitar with synth access, those other multiac models are a no-brainer. Well made, play great. Just wasn't wowed by the plugged straight in acoustic sound--but that's not what those guitars are really for anyway.

I was so pleased with the Cordoba I tried last week I didn't even plug it in!

2Bop, I missed this last night as I was squinting at little pictures on my phone...a Rosewood TOP? Solid or laminate? Very interesting...would like to hear the sound...sure looks great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    For guys that need fret markers there are those little fake pearl or abalone sticker sets all over eBay. I put a set of fake pearl block markers on my Eastman prototype just so I could see what I am doing (really almost blind guy here). Selection is vast and maybe some more "Gretsch" half circles on the edge of the fingerboard wouldn't look too weird. I've been meaning to take mine off simply because I like the look of the plain board better on the Eastman. Small markers aren't even $8.00 a set and are a breeze to apply and remove. You can play your heart out and they never peel or move.

You guys had me thinking about how much I liked all the features that Fusion 14 had - and I got a pristine example of the all rosewood model in the hard foam case for $400.00 - and it had a built in tuner and a nice lush tone plugged into my Fuchs.

Big
    I like a blank fretboard, but really need side dots...just feels weird without them. Do the inlay sticker folks make those too?

User Info Menu

Yeah they make about anything. I've often jonesed for the nice side fret markers of an Eastman John Pisano, brilliant idea. Look for an ad with a neck side shot from the players (non cutaway) side to see what I'm taking about...

Big

User Info Menu

I like a blank fretboard, but really need side dots...just feels weird without them. Do the inlay sticker folks make those too?
    https://www.stringsbymail.com/search...dots&x=23&y=17

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new guitar! Everything in the Fusion series has a solid top and side dots. The solid rosewood top works great for electric use. Rosewood being denser than cedar or spruce eliminates a lot of the potential for feedback.

User Info Menu

Cool, nice to know there's a solution better than white out dots should I purchase an unmarked classical someday.

User Info Menu

No joke. I'm going to go scrape off the dots of White-Out I dabbed on my low-end Kenny Hill Palo Crossover and get some of these!

I'm pretty sure Godin reccomends hard tension strings for their pickup systems.

I auditioned a few when I bought mine, and truthfully, I wasn't really impressed with the pickup systems on most of the multiacs...But the system on the Duet Ambiance, which I bought? WHOA. Best plugged in acoustic I've ever heard, anywhere. I just love that guitar.

Now, If I needed a guitar with synth access, those other multiac models are a no-brainer. Well made, play great. Just wasn't wowed by the plugged straight in acoustic sound--but that's not what those guitars are really for anyway.

I was so pleased with the Cordoba I tried last week I didn't even plug it in!

2Bop, I missed this last night as I was squinting at little pictures on my phone...a Rosewood TOP? Solid or laminate? Very interesting...would like to hear the sound...sure looks great.
    Reportedly solid. It's nuts how much warmer this little Córdoba sounds compared to my former 2 Taylor nylons that cost me over a grand each. Go figure. Maybe it's the rosewood vs the sapele on the Taylor

Laminate or solid, it's not that critical to me - what's it sound like? Does it make me want to practice and play more. The Fusion 12 gets my vote for best sub $500 nylon for sure.

edit - I'd bought a Taylor NS32CE and a Taylor 314CE-N 2014 model...sold them both because they both sounded brighter that I'd hoped.

The Cordoba Fusion 14 here sounds virtually the same as the Fusion 12 I received...warm nylon guitar.

The Cordoba Fusion even has a built in tuner...seems accurate enough, and how convenient.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 02-18-2016 at 04:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Reportedly solid. It's nuts how much warmer this little Córdoba sounds compared to my former 2 Taylor nylons that cost me over a grand each. Go figure. Maybe it's the rosewood vs the sapele on the Taylor

Laminate or solid, it's not that critical to me - what's it sound like? Does it make me want to practice and play more. The Fusion 12 gets my vote for best sub $500 nylon for sure.

edit - I'd bought a Taylor NS32CE and a Taylor 314CE-N 2014 model...sold them both because they both sounded brighter that I'd hoped.

The Cordoba Fusion 14 here sounds virtually the same as the Fusion 12 I received...warm nylon guitar.

The Cordoba Fusion even has a built in tuner...seems accurate enough, and how convenient.

2b Slightly off thread. i recently acquired a Taylor K24ce (Koa) admittedly ,steel strung with Elixirs but
    it sounds good to me ,not too bright ( 1.75" nut ) one of the best fret jobs i've experienced. I got
    rid of my not so thrilling ES175DN'59 VOS to obtain it and glad to see the back of it , Vinny1k had
    a similar poor opinion of his.
    Back on thread, loving the sound of the Cordoba , nice tone. let's hear some Felicidade or Estate please.

Best ,Alan