The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Dear Jeff,

I think your description is spot on - it is an eagle classic and hence definitely in the L5 type construction realm. Compared to a L5 it is a lighter build and slightly shallower. The top is carved thinner. Hence it is a fair bit louder acoustically than a L5 and also has a more woody, acoustic tone when amplified. The L5's have that unbelievably thick, creamy electric tone that many of us love but is acoustically pretty dead and very heavy. The eagle goes that direction but not quite as far.

I love them both. Thus, I would say that an eagle is in the L5 category, but differs in subtle ways ... Whether it serves well as a "L5 on a budget" or not one has to decide oneself .... But it is a lovely guitar in its own right and a pleasure to play.

cheers,
    Frank

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The default Classic 57 is surprisingly good in my ES175 VOS.

Seth's were my pu's for long time in my ES137 but then they suddenly started to sound thin, not thick. Changed them for Tim Shaw hb from 80's, which was very good, like a best Classic 57 ever, balanced, warm, not boomy. But in ES175 it did not impress.

Now with ES175 I am between Burstbucker 1 and a Lollar Imperial. Bb1 is almost like the Shaw humbucker, a bit warmer than Lollar.

But they vary a lot, I tried a Bb1 from my R8 first in the ES175 and IT was thin and cold. I don't know the year of my 'golden' Bb1, I bought it used from Germany thru Ebay or MLP forum.

All experiences with TI GB's and Polytone IV & SF Princeton Reverb.

If the Seth's don't sound bright Your git has 300kohm pots, not 500kohms (like they should be IMHO!)

User Info Menu

My ES175 has 500k audio pots I fitted them myself and the Seth Lover does not sound bright it's clear and smooth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Para
    My ES175 has 500k audio pots I fitted them myself and the Seth Lover does not sound bright it's clear and smooth.
    Then You have tone pot on 3!

Seriously, lucky You. I would assume that my 'bright' is a bit Your 'clear'.

And then it might be that OSLPMV (Our Seth Lover Pickups May Vary).

Anyway, Seths are one of the best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie

Now with ES175 I am between Burstbucker 1 and a Lollar Imperial. Bb1 is almost like the Shaw humbucker, a bit warmer than Lollar.
    closer to the burstbucker 1 woud be lollars low wind imperial..same alnico II mags and wound a bit less (than his standard) to 7k

cheers

User Info Menu

Actually I play with the tone wide open on all my guitars not a fan of rolling back the tone, incidentally I play almost exclusively with my thumb and fingers that probably affects the tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Para
    Actually I play with the tone wide open on all my guitars not a fan of rolling back the tone, incidentally I play almost exclusively with my thumb and fingers that probably affects the tone.
    The thumb, of course! It would be my guess no n+1, although it is maybe second most propably reason for rig not sounding bright!

Thumbs up!

User Info Menu

Watched this thread develop. Seth's in both positions, hands down. There is such a thing as the Seth Lover 4 wires that lets you do all kinds of switching options. Duncan also sells something called the Triple Shot switching system. It is 2 switches (one for each coil) discreetly sent into the pickup surround, this gives you the option to put each coil on, off or out of phase. It is completely reversible if you should ever want to sell and your buyer wants the guitar dead stock, though the switches are barely visible. Seth's sell for about $105.00 on eBay in gold shipped. Got one for my next Mr WU project. I do also have a Ibanez AS103 with Classic 57s, so I have had the opportunity to compare the two pickups. The Classic 57 is pretty nice, but if we are talking Jazz Tone here and I assume we are, I believe the Seth is the better choice.

Big

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Neither. Burstbucker 1 is the best sounding jazz pickup IMO.
    Great call on a very nice sounding pickup! Just installed a Burstbccker 1 on my Ibanez AF200. Not overly bright, yet not muddy either. A warm, yet articulate tone to my ears. Very happy with this choice. I think you've ended my pricey boutique pickup days (this one, used yet new appearing, was $70 with gold cover). I measured this it at 7.67 Kohms, and it appears to be wax potted. Thanks, Jeff
    Last edited by helios; 03-12-2016 at 03:37 AM.