The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hi - does anybody have info on the Borys models? I believe BG3 came before BG100 which came before B120/BG120.

B120 is the one apparently co-designed with D'Aquisto.

They all look the same. I think the BG3 came out before Borys moved to his famous light plates? The one at Gruhn is apparently 'very heavy'.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The BG100 is a model Roger collaborated on with Jimmy D'Aquisto and Barry Galbraith (hence BG). The B120 is kind of the successor to this laminate model. Then there is the B420 which is a carved top. There are other models but those are the ones I know a little about - there's at least one Borys player on the forum so hopefully there will be more info to follow.

some links ...

http://www.allthingsemily.com/pdfima...sBrochures.pdf

http://www.archtopswest.com/archtops...rys_BG100.html
    Last edited by Bill C; 02-04-2016 at 03:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    The BG100 is a model Roger collaborated on with Jimmy D'Aquisto and Barry Galbraith (hence BG). The B120 is kind of the successor to this laminate model. Then there is the B420 which is a carved top. There are other models but those are the ones I know a little about - there's at least one Borys player on the forum so hopefully there will be more info to follow.

some links ...

http://www.allthingsemily.com/pdfima...sBrochures.pdf

Borys Guitar
    I was previlaged to own Rogers' #1 B420 and it was spectacular.Along with an early B120. Roger has in no way reached the position he is so deserved of in the "best of luthiers" list. Roger built these before Sadowsky and Trenier.But was ,for some reason unable to be recognized for his accomplishment.Possisbly due to the untimely death of Emily Remlier.Who was prominent at the time and gave Rogers' guitars some notoriety.Here and abroad. Finally,others have discovered his work. I hope he gets his just desserts now.This months Just Jazz Guitar has an in-depth article of Roger.Check him out folks,he makes great stuff.

User Info Menu

I've got Roger's card here, and he lists a bunch of guitars:
    1)B-120 Deluxe- his signature laminate model which IMHO blows all the other laminates out of the water.
    2) Jazz Master
    3) Jazz Electric (semi-hollowbody)
    4)Jazz Solid ( chambered solid body)
    5) Jazz Acoustic (B420) I played one that IMHO was as good as any vintage D'Aquisto or D'Angelico ever made. When I told Roger that, he said it was the best compliment he ever received.
    6) Special Jazz Classic

Four of the best jazz guitar players IMHO playing today own and play Borys guitars- Paul Bollenback (Jazz Solid and a special 'Jimmy Wyble' Model), Vic Juris ( a B-120) and Tony DeCaprio (custom B-120), and Larry Koonse (B120)

Bucky Pizzarelli, Mundell Lowe, Barry Galbraith, Billy bauer, Pat Kelley, Paul Meyers, Sid jacobs, Joe Pass and many others played borys guitars.

Sooo what is the difference between a B100 and B120?

and what is a BG3?

User Info Menu

Tony is very enthusiastic about his Borys. Joe played one? I don't think I knew that.

User Info Menu

I bought two Borys 120 guitars back in 1991,a blonde and a sunburst . Costs then about £850 each including cases thru customs . Mind you the pound was 1.69 to the dollar. They were great guitars unfortunately financial cramp at that time meant I had to sell both. Roger is very reclusive and I have tried to contact him several times after he had moved from Burlington but to no avail. He doesnt like computers which is a pity as no as website. I believe his daughter deals with most of his mail on Tumblr-but I have not managed to make contact. But all my dealings with him were first-class with great attention to details on customer requirements, payment, and shipping. The models he was making then were as follows. B 120 Jazz deluxe. B 222 Jazz Solid. B 120-P Jazz Pro. B 324 Pro Fusion B 420 Special (Barry Galbraith model) B 520 Jazz Classic. B 620 Jazz Gypsy (flattop) I have some pics somewhere and will post separately when I find them. D'Angelico- D'Aquisto- Borys all great luthiers. similar in many ways as Jimmy D'Aquisto was apprenticed to D'Angelico as Roger Borys was to Jimmy D'Aquisto

Quote Originally Posted by jazzuki
    I bought two Borys 120 guitars back in 1991,a blonde and a sunburst . Costs then about £850 each including cases thru customs . Mind you the pound was 1.69 to the dollar. They were great guitars unfortunately financial cramp at that time meant I had to sell both. Roger is very reclusive and I have tried to contact him several times after he had moved from Burlington but to no avail. He doesnt like computers which is a pity as no as website. I believe his daughter deals with most of his mail on Tumblr-but I have not managed to make contact. But all my dealings with him were first-class with great attention to details on customer requirements, payment, and shipping. The models he was making then were as follows. B 120 Jazz deluxe. B 222 Jazz Solid. B 120-P Jazz Pro. B 324 Pro Fusion B 420 Special (Barry Galbraith model) B 520 Jazz Classic. B 620 Jazz Gypsy (flattop) I have some pics somewhere and will post separately when I find them. D'Angelico- D'Aquisto- Borys all great luthiers. similar in many ways as Jimmy D'Aquisto was apprenticed to D'Angelico as Roger Borys was to Jimmy D'Aquisto
    He has a Facebook account. I'm assuming his daughter manages it.

User Info Menu

Heynow, Thanks for this. I had'nt checked recently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeyNow
    Hi - does anybody have info on the Borys models? I believe BG3 came before BG100 which came before B120/BG120.

B120 is the one apparently co-designed with D'Aquisto.

They all look the same. I think the BG3 came out before Borys moved to his famous light plates? The one at Gruhn is apparently 'very heavy'.
    I found an old catalogue Roger gave me on the BG 100:
    Body: Laminated Maple
    Size: 16"
    Neck: Curly maple, adjustable truss rod
    Fingerboard: Ebony, Standard 1 3/4" at nut, 2 1/8 at octave
    Bridge: Ebony, adjustable
    Pick Guard: Ebony
    Tail Piece: Brass, adjustable to set string tension
    Pickup- Kent Armstrong Special for BG 100
    Tuning Machines: Schaller "Gold"

Never heard of the BG3.

I called Gruhn. They assume BG3 is the model because it is written on the back plate.

I'm going to take an educated guess and think that is the serial #. Third BG100 made. It's a little over 7 lbs so heavy for a B100/120 (usually 6 lbs 4 oz), but not terribly out of line (?)

Still curious what the difference is between a B100 and B120. Specs are the same.

I think the B100 comes with a different pickup. 6 adjustable pole pieces vs 12. That's my final answer, Regis.

User Info Menu

Roger had an endorsement from BG, so he called it the BG100. The endorsement ended, changed it to B120. As a small builder, he made variations and custom versions, but I'm not sure they are much different from each other.

I owned a number of Roger's guitars, including five custom-ordered models. I had a couple of BG120's, a B420, a B420 thinline, a couple of B222's and a B322. All were fine guitars, but my experience is that the later ones were better, perhaps because they were made for me, but also because I think Roger was just getting better at making them.

A custom B420 and B120

Danny W.
    Last edited by Danny W.; 02-06-2016 at 09:59 AM.

User Info Menu

I called Gruhn. They assume BG3 is the model because it is written on the back plate.

I'm going to take an educated guess and think that is the serial #. Third BG100 made. It's a little over 7 lbs so heavy for a B100/120 (usually 6 lbs 4 oz), but not terribly out of line (?)

Still curious what the difference is between a B100 and B120. Specs are the same.

Where did you get those 'vital statistics' from?

I got inspired from my catalog listing to fool around with the adjustable tailpiece on my B-120, and now I screwed up the intonation.
    Back to the drawing board...

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Where did you get those 'vital statistics' from?

I got inspired from my catalog listing to fool around with the adjustable tailpiece on my B-120, and now I screwed up the intonation.
    Back to the drawing board...
    There are some scanned brochures on Emily Remler's website.

I'm probably wrong. I see that Roger replied to me!

"That guitar was probably just before the BG100. We made a group of guitars with different specks to see what worked. The thicker sides are actually pretty good when played electrically. Obviously, it's heavier. I don't know if it is same body depth, scale length etc."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.

Danny W.
    This one has a wildly figured top. I'm in love. Do you still have it, Danny?

I have a B120 sitting in a box with a Chip Wilson cardinal headstock inlay. I'll show a photo some day. A lady jazz guitarist in Vermont had ordered and owned it. She consigned it to an ebayer for sale in 2012. I bought it from the person who had bought it off ebay. He owned it for about 3 months. I am its third owner. I wonder who that lady guitarist is and hope that she is well.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 02-06-2016 at 01:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Danny w. Why did you switch back over to gibson from these fine looking bory's guitars?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    This one has a wildly figured top. I'm in love. Do you still have it, Danny?
    Nope--long-time gone. It was an excellent instrument, but when I owned it I still preferred 17" guitars. Today it would be just the right body size, but I'd prefer it with a 25.5" scale.

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Danny w. Why did you switch back over to gibson from these fine looking bory's guitars?
    It's something of a story but to avoid hijacking the thread the simplified answer is that Gibson recovered from a bad case of a couple of decades of Norlinvirus and started building fine guitars again in the early '90's.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

For those who are interested. George Gruhn has a Borys B3 '82 for sale at $4000

User Info Menu

There's a 15 second look at Roger Borys' workshop on Instagram:
    https://instagram.com/p/BA-czzPpwvQ/

Quote Originally Posted by jazzuki
    For those who are interested. George Gruhn has a Borys B3 '82 for sale at $4000
    Yes, that's the one I've been talking about this entire thread, including the very first post

User Info Menu

Hello,

This letter from Roger Borys to my may help.

Regards
    GK
    Attached Images Attached Images Borys Models Question - BG100, BG120, BG3-borysletter3-gif