The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    It occurs to me that from a manufacturing standpoint, the whole "relic-ing" thing might have begun (somewhat like sunbursts) as a way to salvage instruments that were inadvertently lightly damaged in handling or which developed or revealed defects during finishing. In other words, turning a bug into a feature, with perhaps a serendipitous upcharge.
    Just spitballin' here.
    Sounds entirely plausible and makes business sense...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    Buncha old guys! You guys prolly wouldn't buy ripped blue jeans either.
    I actually sold five pairs of ripped, worn jeans, size 38 on ebay for $50 per pair.

Called them "Boyfriend Jeans" and every pair was bought by a chick.....

User Info Menu

I noticed that a manufacturer sells "reliced" at a premium, a private seller not so much......
    Last edited by boatheelmusic; 01-23-2016 at 08:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Illuin
    Sounds entirely plausible and makes business sense...
    Wow! A great insight! Good thinkin'!

"Ya' gotta' sell what's on the cart."

User Info Menu

Not a fan of aging except for replacement parts on an already vintage instrument.
    Aging a brand new instrument to make it look "abused" is plainly stupid for my taste.

User Info Menu

It seems to me that Ibanez doesn't quite get the premise behind relic guitars.

The way I see it, relics are attractive because there are 50+ year old examples of prized old guitars still in use by prominent musicians. This leads fans to believe there is some magic to be had in instruments of a bygone era.

Ibanez doesn't have a legacy that glorifies beat up 60 year old guitars, so they seem to be producing fantasy pieces that mimic the classics as though Buddy Holly and Jimi Hendrix had played Ibanez.

However, I do give them credit for constantly offering limited edition veneers, color ways, and graphic designs.

User Info Menu

I think ALL "relic" guitars are "fantasy pieces" for better or worse. If buying and playing a brand new scuffed and dinged guitar makes you feel and think you're playing a "vintage" guitar, that's a fantasy.
    If buying and playing a relic that looks like your favorite players beat-up guitar, makes you feel and think you play better or more like him or her, that's a fantasy!

The same type of fantasy applies, to some degree, when we buy the "Artist Model" guitar, although, usually, that choice is based on structural and/or tonal characteristics as well as visual traits. But if buying and playing an "Artist Model" makes you feel and think you're playing better, well that's a fantasy!

BUT, if your brand new/vintage/relic/artist model/custom-made/one-of-a-kind makes you feel and think you're playing better, well you PROBABLY ARE! And that's a good thing, ain't it?
    And, bottom line, fantasy helps to keep life interesting!
    Last edited by gspirro1; 01-31-2016 at 12:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gspirro1
    BUT, if your brand new/vintage/relic/artist model/custom-made/one-of-a-kind makes you feel and think you're playing better, well you PROBABLY ARE! And that's a good thing, ain't it?
    Seems like you are describing a placebo effect. I suspect that's a factor. Believing can can make it so. :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    Buncha old guys! You guys prolly wouldn't buy ripped blue jeans either.
    certainly not because i kept my old ones and they got the same looks by now without having to spend extra money. When i see my students wearing theirs i just think the guys designing them don't really know where and how in reality blue jeans get worn most, what makes the fake product looking even more fake.

And yes, these guitars look to me like somebody desperate had to come up with an idea how to reach the clientele that would spend the extra money for already torn jeans.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    certainly not because i kept my old ones and they got the same looks by now without having to spend extra money. When i see my students wearing theirs i just think the guys designing them don't really know where and how in reality blue jeans get worn most, what makes the fake product looking even more fake.

And yes, these guitars look to me like somebody desperate had to come up with an idea how to reach the clientele that would spend the extra money for already torn jeans.
    I agree with this observation.

I think that there's a flaw in our modern western social-values system, when those things which we wear, drive, and play with, create a more secure sense of self in an individual.
    Much like wearing the proper uniform for belonging to your favorite marching band, (and we all belong to some form of marching band), but the uniform shouldn't be the thing that makes us feel better, if playing is the goal.
    And I also agree, that "believing, makes it so"...truely believing!

User Info Menu

I agree with the fantasy element described by gspirro1 above -- pretty much nails it.

I own one relic'd guitar -- a strat. I did not buy it because of the relic job, but rather in spite of it -- it plays so well I was compelled to look past the relic treatment. Since I got that guitar, my antipathy toward relics has eased.

I enjoy not worrying about dings or dust or finger smudges -- it's quite liberating. Sorta like driving a car with hail damage -- no need to worry when the next storm comes. I don't think it's a superior aesthetic, nor do I care about the fantasy of pretending to own a classic historic guitar, but the "no worries" factor is a functional benefit IMO

User Info Menu

Interesting insight, LTG

User Info Menu

Ehm... The Artstars don't looks too realistic, but those Artcores look strangely appealing to me.... Honestly, I like the look, my ES-333 is starting to look like that by now, so maybe I'm just used to it.
    Last edited by Little Jay; 02-02-2016 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling error

User Info Menu

One other benefit: no gloss on the neck!

User Info Menu

I think they just look silly.

I'm sure that they sound good though.

User Info Menu

The silly thing of course is that (afaik) Ibanez has always used poly finishes (correct me if I'm wrong), so no vintage Ibanez is ever going to look like that.

That having said, I still like the way that Artcore looks.... sorry!