The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 132 of 132

User Info Menu

Since I last posted on this thread I upgraded my Axe Fx II to the II XL+ AND I bought a AX8. Im still loving fractal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Since I last posted on this thread I upgraded my Axe Fx II to the II XL+ AND I bought a AX8. Im still loving fractal.

I recently played on a II XL+ in a pit band, and was knocked out by it. What other gear do you use with it, and what settings do you use it for jazz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I use two XiTone powered wedges and 2 expression pedals.

User Info Menu

I also mainly use, for jazz settings, the Carr Rambler (Roamer), which is like an improved Deluxe Reverb. I had both amps and it's in many ways a perfect jazz amp for me. Lighter than a Twin sonically. I never liked the mass of a Twin. I also use the AC30. Scofield uses that sometimes. That's why I tried it. For slightly dirty with tone it's good. I like a delay and multi delay, reverb, chorus. Opto compressor sometimes. I shelve lows at 100 or so. Raise about 2.5. Boost 2 db about 500-600.

Last edited by henryrobinett; 06-29-2017 at 10:19 AM.

I decided to sell my 80's era JCM 800 full stack and took the plunge on the Kemper. I like the lunchbox format, non powered and will be pairing it with a quilter 200 watt head and 2 x 12 cabinet. It took a while to sell and I did a lot of research.

I like the fact that I can profile my Princeton Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, and 80's Era Concert which is a great underrated amp. Plus there are great sounding JCM 800 profiles out there. I am amazed at how far along they have come. Always been a fan of my Fender Mustang III v2 and hope the Kemper is truly the next level . The concept of profiling is appealing to me.

How will an SM 58 do as a mike to make profiles? How much difference does a better Mike make when profiling.

User Info Menu

I think that an SM58 is ok, but a SM57 is better.

However, my experience is that one is better off with commercial profiles. They do not cost much and they are really at a different level in terms of sound quality compared to what we can do on our own. Michael Britt has great packages or the ToneFactory. After buying the Kemper this is 50$ or so well invested. There even is a fairly nice "RigPack" for free with the latest software update.

User Info Menu

Also check Home | Celestion Impulse Response
    I don't have a Kemper or AxeFX, I'm only using impulse responses in Digital Performer. The Celestions work great for me.