The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

To my dismay, every time I do a search for guitars and gear, my computer keeps popping up the items I searched whenever I am online. I have got to tell you, being a reformed materialistic American, this causes me some pain.

I talk myself out of a certain guitar, amp, or accessory, then when I get online and surf the web my computer keeps sticking that gear back in my face - constantly! And the ploy is working too. I find myself having to have a talk with myself and convince myself all over again that I don't need that gear.

Luckily, time and proper research has helped me eliminated certain pieces of gear but I have to say that this can get annoying painful.

Can someone tell me how to stop these poppups? Is deleting my cookies the only way?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Adblock Plus

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    Adblock Plus
    God bless you, Sir.

User Info Menu

Also if you want to really see who's tracking you online download ghostery, it shows all the ad services trying to watch you and block you.

User Info Menu

You can always use incognito mode in Chrome, that stops a lot of that. Also, make sure you're logged out of Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, and any other sites like that when browsing. It won't stop it all from happening, but it'll help.

User Info Menu

A good habit is also to avoid staying logged permanently on social network like facebook unless you like to be tracked and profiled wherever you go

User Info Menu

I tried Adblock and a few other similar programs but they slow down the computer. A more psychological approach is to look at something you don't want, the ads are based on the most recent things you looked at. It's funny when I am on a Chinese site like Youku and the page is filled with ads for American guitar stores.

User Info Menu

I find a quick glance at my checkbook generally has the required effect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrregent
    I tried Adblock and a few other similar programs but they slow down the computer. A more psychological approach is to look at something you don't want, the ads are based on the most recent things you looked at. It's funny when I am on a Chinese site like Youku and the page is filled with ads for American guitar stores.

I have had just the opposite result turning on Ad-Block has sped up my browsers. I find it funny some side detect it and request I turn it off, saying that's how they monetize their site.

User Info Menu

Adblock made my desktop run way faster.

User Info Menu

Thanks for helping me keep up with technology. I did not realize I had so many options to combat these intrusions.

On the other hand, I have had some rather nice photos pop up and surprise me after browsing Victoria Secret online catalogs...

User Info Menu

If you've been using Google Search for searches, try using duckduckgo instead. It does not track your browsing and only pitches one clearly identified ad per search (to help fund itself, and then only with your permission).

User Info Menu

You don't need to install software, you can take control of the junk you do not want to see with the Windows "hosts" file.

The link below has a new hosts file (all text no executable code) that once you re-boot will stop all known redirectors (the list is GINORMOUS) and sites like Feebay will load faster.

How To: Update the HOSTS file in Windows 7

After the new hosts file is installed everywhere you saw scantily clad and busty babes (SCABBS) or dancing elephants or any other annoying adverts you just get the image below, no download mips used, wasted, or waited for.

I'm using it over a month, that in addition to using the prefbar (If you use Mozilla's firefox) and their javascript enable/disable checkbox, WONDERFUL sites like the BBC are usable and (to me) interesting again. That is if you want to see the text just like a newspaper not the animated or pictorial trash you're forced to see now and all links to other news work. The BBC site is brilliantly written to be useful like a "new papyrus" jeez even dial up users could use the BBC without javascript. LOVE IT!

Amazon, Musiciansfriend, and other Ads that pop up when you are online = Pain-success-jpg

User Info Menu

You can't stop it, so at least use it for your own benefit. If you shop for an item online, visit several sites, put the item in your cart, but don't buy it yet. Wait a couple days and you'll see ads eventually with a lower price. Not always of course but I've done it a few times; let them bid for your business.

User Info Menu

A thousand thanks to the OP, and to the replies the suggested AdBlock. Just installed it on my machine, and went to a usually-visited local-weather/newspaper site. No ads. Zip. No creepy how-did-they-know-I-like-guitars ads..And the page loaded faster, too. I am profoundly grateful. Those AdBlock folks sound pretty cool, too, from their own website. How the internet was meant to be...

User Info Menu

The advertisers want you to feel sorry for them...

From computerworld regarding ad blocking campaigns:

"We serve about two million page views a month. The impact on our revenues has been significant," he says.

Viewing ads is part of the deal if users want content to be free, says Freitas. The use of ad blocking software breaks that implicit contract

I F'ing don't believe these clowns believe there's some sort of "I can run all over your bandwidth and ruin your internet" "implicit contract"

That takes BIG ones!
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 01-22-2016 at 10:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Oh just in case you all think adblockplus is the knight in shining armour...

Adblock Plus has stuck a deal with at least one marquee customer -- Google signed on as a paying customer in June 2013. The deal covers its search ads as well as sponsored search results on Google and its AdSense for Search partner sites.

So as guys like google sign up with adblock, you will get ads anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    You can't stop it, so at least use it for your own benefit. If you shop for an item online, visit several sites, put the item in your cart, but don't buy it yet. Wait a couple days and you'll see ads eventually with a lower price. Not always of course but I've done it a few times; let them bid for your business.
    This actually happened when I could not resist clicking on a guitar ad so I could have a momentary drool. The guitar dropped from $700.00 to $600.00. Could it be new year clearing out to make room for 2016 models?

User Info Menu

I actually don't mind the ads. Keeps me on the hunt for new gear...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kolbi2112
    I actually don't mind the ads. Keeps me on the hunt for new gear...
    Me too. I like the ads from Sweetwater, ZZ Sounds, etc. Turns me on to things I didn't know about. Just saw this in a pop-up a few minutes ago:

Amazon, Musiciansfriend, and other Ads that pop up when you are online = Pain-preamp-jpg

User Info Menu

Another thing, avoid facebook, PERIOD!

What a time waster! I understand why businesses use it. I'd rather waste my time here

User Info Menu

WOW, Now I know why I get so much junk mail and get bombarded by bandwidth muggers. Hey I got an idea! How about several advertising channels so the rest of us don't get bombarded. Oops, sorry there's already QVC and others out there :-)

User Info Menu

I use Ublock with Safari. Crystal on my IOS devices.

If you are not blocking ads, you are effectually subsidizing advertising. Ghostery has, in my view, a questionable, if not problematic, business model.

Download the data you want, not the imbedded data you don't.

Best of luck!