The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 59

User Info Menu

pingu

I returned the DV head because of low volume hiss. I was never aware of the fan being turned on. Again a pity as I liked the sound.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I play every week with one, always say I'll borrow it for a gig but haven't yet, so I've only heard the amp in low volume. It sounds very good, dark, and I really like the drive channel. A bit compressed, fusion overdrive type sounds. Very usable if you like that kind of drive. Nice reverb, no noise in the studio. I'm thinking of buying a Dv Mark head, not sure which though yet..

User Info Menu

I think I will buy micro jazz head...:-)

User Info Menu

After reading all the poositive posts I think I will give it another try myself. Sounded great to me then, if the hiss was a Monday product or has been resolved, then Im interested.

User Info Menu

I have just looked at Thomann site and now wonder if all of the above posts concern the DV Micro 50 or the DV Micro 50 II? Are they different animals?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    I have just looked at Thomann site and now wonder if all of the above posts concern the DV Micro 50 or the DV Micro 50 II? Are they different animals?
    I have both. The Micro 50 has no effects loop, but has XLR out. The Micro 50 II does NOT have the XLR out but does have an effects loop, the "Send" serving as a pre-amp out if someone wants it.

I like the XLR out and do not use the effects loop. But I have recorded with the Effects Send signal and it was fine. Still, I prefer having the XLR out. Makes the head a wonderful DI+Preamp and EQ.

I have heard it said that the reverb is different with the two, but I've not ever noticed it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    The lack of an FX loop on the DV is a deal breaker for me - my next acquisition will be the Quilter 101.
    i love the quilter but on a clean amp, the loop is not really a requirement (for me at least). Loops are good in heads that have overdrive because you never want modulation/time effects like delay and reverb to be before the overdrive but on a clean head, it's fine to run them in front. My quilter OD200 has a loop but because I use an overdrive pedal, I run my time based effects in front of the amp and it works great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    Not quite - there are currently two dealers in Europe, both happy to do mail order. I received my Quilter 101 this weekend from EuroAmps+ in Denmark (I'm in the UK). The transaction was not a problem, with good communication from the vendor.

I have just been putting it through its paces through a Cannabis Rex speaker. Both my Eastman archtop and Godin Montreal sound great, but as has previously pointed out the controls are not as simple as a standard B/M/T EQ. It may take me some time to dial in my preferred tones. The main advantage for me over the DV Micro 50, is the presence of an FX loop.
    The DV Micro 50 II has an effects loop.

User Info Menu

How does the DV Mark handle fx? I have a G&K bass head MB200, which is fine. I have recently had the insight that as the MB200 produces about 150 w, that the speaker selection is limited for guitars. Or to put it another way there are many more guitar speakers in the approx 50 w range than in the 150-200w range. I am obviously with this comment pointing out may lack of expertise in tech matters and thus a bit of a slow learner. This none the less whets my interest in the DV 50, conditioned upon the fact that they produce no hiss, and can of course take pedals well, so I would be happy if some of you owners chimed in with your experience.

User Info Menu

How does the DV Mark handle fx? I have a G&K bass head MB200, which is fine. I have recently had the insight that as the MB200 produces about 150 w, that the speaker selection is limited for guitars. Or to put it another way there are many more guitar speakers in the approx 50 w range than in the 150-200w range. I am obviously with this comment pointing out may lack of expertise in tech matters and thus a bit of a slow learner. This none the less whets my interest in the DV 50, conditioned upon the fact that they produce no hiss, and can of course take pedals well, so I would be happy if some of you owners chimed in with your experience.
    Note that speaker power rating is not an exact science. I know a lot of folks using the Eminence 40w rated GASC speaker with their Quilter OD200 for example playing REALLY loud.

When manufacturers rate speaker power handling, they have to take into consideration if the user will run it at the specified power rating with full-tilt fuzz pedal so the power ratings are very conservative typically

User Info Menu

I don't worry much about using lower powered speakers because I know I'll never play at maximum volume. Also, that's 200 watts into 4 ohms, and most speakers are 8 ohms, so the MB200 is producing much less than 200 watts even with the volume fully up. The MB200 is a nice micro head, and I own one. I previously owned a DV Micro50, but I sold it. Having two heads was rather redundant, and the DV was marginally larger and heavier, but more redundant because it sounded very much like my Little Jazz. Nothing wrong with it, it was just more redundant than the MB200. I just couldn't see the point in having both.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I don't worry much about using lower powered speakers because I know I'll never play at maximum volume. Also, that's 200 watts into 4 ohms, and most speakers are 8 ohms, so the MB200 is producing much less than 200 watts even with the volume fully up. The MB200 is a nice micro head, and I own one. I previously owned a DV Micro50, but I sold it. Having two heads was rather redundant, and the DV was marginally larger and heavier, but more redundant because it sounded very much like my Little Jazz. Nothing wrong with it, it was just more redundant than the MB200. I just couldn't see the point in having both.
    If your MB200 had an onboard reverb, would it make your Little Jazz redundant (I am presuming the amp circuit is the same as a Micro 50 Jazz) ?

User Info Menu

... for many is between DV Mark Micro 50 and Quilter 101R. The MB 200 certainly figures, but its dry tone hungers for the on-board reverb that many straight-ahead jazz players appreciate. I once wrote to G+K suggesting they remove the contour switch and add reverb for a jazz guitar version. They never replied.

DV weighs the double vs. Quilter or MB. Its darker tone appeals to those looking for a smoky jazz tone. Still my favorite. 101R is far brighter, fendery. Its reverb is perfect. I have used all three on gigs, but players far better than I insisted on buying the Quilter whenever I had one. Many European jazz guitarists, myself included, have lately discovered the Quilter Interblock 45, which has not had too much attention on these pages. With that size and weight, one forgives the need of a reverb pedal - or just skips it. And, for a Quilter, it offers a lot of bass end.

People wonder whether the DV Mark or Quilter are loud enough. They certainly are! Both manufacturers offer slightly heavier alternatives in the 200-250W category, but I bet their sales are marginal compared to the 50W amps.

The circuits of DV Mark and MB 200 are not the same. Much of the DV's extra weight comes from a hefty circular transformer, and they claim proprietary technology.

Finally, this thread started in 2016. A lot has happened in the micro amp world since.

User Info Menu

I have a 50w quilter and it's fine for quiet trio gigs with a drummer playing brushes but if you play any cross-over music or play with a drummer with a big kit it struggles which is why I also have an OD200

User Info Menu

The MB200 has no reverb, nor does my AI Clarus. The HOF mini takes care of that, on the somewhat rare occasions I need reverb. I don't consider the MB200 redundant, because it has a different sound than the DV Mark or the AI amps. It's sold as a bass amp, but it has a lot of treble and airiness, the brightest amp I own by far, even through large cabs. I could easily get by with just the Little Jazz, but I don't have to, so I don't.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Note that speaker power rating is not an exact science. I know a lot of folks using the Eminence 40w rated GASC speaker with their Quilter OD200 for example playing REALLY loud.

When manufacturers rate speaker power handling, they have to take into consideration if the user will run it at the specified power rating with full-tilt fuzz pedal so the power ratings are very conservative typically
    Quoted for truth... But! Whenever I see someone saying go ahead and used a 40W speaker with a 200W amp I think, yeah, but that aint your speaker waiting to blow!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug

Finally, this thread started in 2016. A lot has happened in the micro amp world since.
    Hi Gitterbug! Yes lots have happened since the thread was started. As I mentioned here several years ago I had a DV micro 50 (not the micro 50 II) and returned it as it was noisy while at rest which I found extremely irritating. Perhaps it was a bad issue, though I worded with the people at Thomann at the time of the return who confirmed that the amp was not a quiet one. This resulted in me getting the GK MB200, but that said I like the tone of the Mark 50 better, which has promoted my interest in the revival of this thread. My interest has increase due to the difference in sound, to the better, running through en eminence the tonker after having used an eminence bass speaker of unknown linage for quite a while. Lots more speakers in the 50-75 w range to try out and chose from.

Still, as no one has commented on the DV 50 being noisy at rest, I assume the answer is, it is quite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Quoted for truth... But! Whenever I see someone saying go ahead and used a 40W speaker with a 200W amp I think, yeah, but that aint your speaker waiting to blow!
    my buddy has been using the Emi GASC (40w) speaker on gigs with his OD200 for months with no issues. As I said before, 40w is just a number they apply. These numbers are not hard science numbers. They are put on the speaker for various reasons including marketing and positioning.

User Info Menu

it's funny because I believe I'm the first one on the forum who wrote about the GK MB200. I felt that the treble control wasn't quite voiced right for guitar in order to get that Benson tone which I occasionally like and eventually I sold it. I frankly like the quilter OD200 much better though it is a tad larger...

User Info Menu

unfortunately, 50w just doesn't cut it for playing with a loud drummer and playing any kind of fusion, rock or modern stuff with saxophone and electric keys so I can't use it for a lot of things and I'd rather not get out on a gig or jam and find out the amp doesn't have enough power. If DV made a 100w version it'd be a winner. It probably costs about $5 in parts to upgrade the amp so it must be a marketing decision to keep it at 50 so as not to impinge upon other products in their line...

User Info Menu

The DV Little FG 250
    Attachment 62049
    Power output: 250W @ 4ohm / 150W @ 8ohm
    Preamp: Solid State
    Power Amp: MPT (Mark Proprietary Technology)

Channels: two (clean / lead)

Controls (each ch): Gain - Level / EQ: low-mid-high

Effect: Reverb

Speaker outputs: 4 ohms minimum load

Other features: Pre Out (with -6 / 0 db switch)
    FX Loop

Footswitch input for channels switch

Dimensions (W/H/D):
    8.86”/ 22.5cm | 3.15”/ 8cm | 9.84”/ 25cm

Weight: 5.73 lbs / 2.6 Kg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    my buddy has been using the Emi GASC (40w) speaker on gigs with his OD200
    Interesting, what speaker is that emi?

User Info Menu

Interesting, what speaker is that emi?
    https://www.eminence.com/pdf/GA_SC64.pdf

User Info Menu

Have you heard one? My understanding is that its based on the little M 250 which was designed for heavy metal:

The DV Little 250 M 250W guitar amp head from DV Mark was built to achieve massive amounts of gain for metal and hard rock—to deliver heavy tones, but not heavy weight.

The DV Little 250 M is incredibly versatile, from sparkling clean to extreme metal and everything in between, and gets amplified by a stadium-rocking 250W power amp.

Following the extraordinary success of the DV Mark DV Micro 50, the DV Little 250 M offers two completely independent channels, featuring huge amount of gain and a properly scooped EQ to better fit the genre of music it’s been made for.

This amp also features an onboard reverb and a convenient FX loop to best interface with external effects.

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    The DV Little FG 250
    Attachment 62049
    Power output: 250W @ 4ohm / 150W @ 8ohm
    Preamp: Solid State
    Power Amp: MPT (Mark Proprietary Technology)

Channels: two (clean / lead)

Controls (each ch): Gain - Level / EQ: low-mid-high

Effect: Reverb

Speaker outputs: 4 ohms minimum load

Other features: Pre Out (with -6 / 0 db switch)
    FX Loop

Footswitch input for channels switch

Dimensions (W/H/D):
    8.86”/ 22.5cm | 3.15”/ 8cm | 9.84”/ 25cm

Weight: 5.73 lbs / 2.6 Kg

User Info Menu

It is new one...I could not find in the shop.