The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 66

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Duceditor
    Hard to imagine a setting where a TR is needed for jazz.
    Benson, Bollenback, Randy Johnston, Pat Martino have all used Twin Reverbs for jazz. Have you ever played with a loud organ trio with saxophone? A 40 watt amp ain't gonna cut it in that situation without going through a PA

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dual Showman = Twin Reverb head?

No/Yes. I had a blackface Dual Showman. It, of course, lacked reverb. It was not a Twin Reverb--and I don't just mean that it didn't have reverb. It was a different beast in many ways. Attached to a twin 15 cabinet this amp would eat a TR for breakfast, even though both were based around the same tube complement. I don't know why this was so electronically, but I know this was so, in terms of sonics, having had both amps.

The TFL-3000 Dual Showman Reverb, OTOH, WAS a Twin Reverb head. Still, it played into a huge, twin 15 cabinet. The amp, though, was literally just a cut-down TR produced by Fender. Great amp for someone looking for a very loud Fender sound through two JBL speakers. Last one I saw locally was $300 with cabinet, everything in great shape--admittedly about 25 years ago. It was just too big for my needs, at that point.

Between the two, I'd take the 60s amp over the 70s amp. What I'd really like is a Single Showman with a tone-ring 15" cabinet. Those amps sounded great. Best sounding tic-tac bass amp of all time.

User Info Menu

I can get away with bringing my Twin Reverb to the jazz gig, but I wonder what looks they will give me if I would bring a Dual Showman with a twin 15" cab.....

User Info Menu

In my RnR days I played through a blackface Showman 15 with two cabinets, kept it on 10, even when practicing, loved that amp . . . I'm sorry did you say something, I didn't hear it.

User Info Menu

It will raise eyebrows, even though electronically it has the same power amp. Big = scary to both jazz musicians and jazz audiences in my experience. Jaco got away with an Acoustic 371 with two 18" cabinets, but that was Jaco--and his band was a fusion band that played at considerable volume.

That said, the _tone_ from a Showman/15"+tone ring is arguably better than from a Twin Reverb. There is a reason that it was Fender's top of the line.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Benson, Bollenback, Randy Johnston, Pat Martino have all used Twin Reverbs for jazz. Have you ever played with a loud organ trio with saxophone? A 40 watt amp ain't gonna cut it in that situation without going through a PA
    Just a speculation -- Most of Fender's two-6L6 amps with Reverb have tube rectifiers in the power supply, which drop the voltage and sag when pushed hard. All Fender four-6L6 amps have solid state rectifiers. I suspect that's as important a factor as the power difference. After all, doubling the power yields only a 3dB volume difference, which is barely discernible due to the human ear.

Most of Fender's two-6L6 amps without reverb (e.g. Bandmaster, Bassman, Vibrasonic and Concert) use solid state rectifiers so they may have more headroom than their tube-rectified cousins. I have a non-Reverb Bandmaster, but I need to recap it before I can put this theory to the test.

BTW, the vibrato channel of the non-reverb Bandmaster is weak. The normal channel gives maximum volume and best tone.
    Last edited by KirkP; 01-26-2016 at 02:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I wish George would cut one last great Organ trio record.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robertoart
    I wish George would cut one last great Organ trio record.
    Yes! Whoever is the most like Jimmy Smith was...not Retro but one of the best of Today's crop.

And then another Album...with a few of the
    best Horn Players- George is too "Polite" when he plays with other Guitarists- it seems.

I bet George would like the idea of doing some serious Heavyweight Guitar Playing Jazz Albums this late in his Career and he could still probably do some of his best work ever....for History.

I still think he is under appreciated outside of the "Jazz World" ....I bet a lot of People
    would " get it " if they heard what he can really do - even TV Audiences etc.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 01-28-2016 at 01:00 AM.

User Info Menu

That is on my wish-list: come on, Mr. George Benson. Ten more straightahead jazz albums. 100 songs. Please. I'd even forgive you for your pop-crooner past.

Won't Hoshino/Fender bankroll this? Forget about the jazz doubters and sceptics. I'd like to see one with the 2 Pats on one album: Benson, Martino and Metheny on one solid album.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    That is on my wish-list: come on, Mr. George Benson. Ten more straightahead jazz albums. 100 songs. Please. I'd even forgive you for your pop-crooner past.

Won't Hoshino/Fender bankroll this? Forget about the jazz doubters and sceptics. I'd like to see one with the 2 Pats on one album: Benson, Martino and Metheny on one solid album.

Too much guitar rather have a basic Benson album like Benson, sax, bass, drums, maybe keys, no strings or other nutter fluffer stuff.

User Info Menu

I'd like to see one with the 2 Pats on one album: Benson, Martino and Metheny on one solid album.
    yes, this. This is what I want, a whole lot of different jazz guitarists getting together in guitar only duos, trios and quartets. throw in odd combinations like george benson/rosenwinkal martino/julian lage metheny/kriesburg and so on

User Info Menu

I don't know what happened to my post. I basically said the same thing yesterday.
    I'd like one of the albums to have tributes to each one of Georges guitar heros. Wes, Django, Charlie C., JS.. Just an album focused on neat, clean George paying homage to his hero's. If I ever did an album (probably in my next life), I would do something to pay homage to George for sure. He got me started loving Jazz. To me, he is one of the greats of all time. And if you factor in his voice, he is probably one of the most musically gifted artists who ever lived.
    I love's me some George...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    In my RnR days I played through a blackface Showman 15 with two cabinets, kept it on 10, even when practicing, loved that amp . . . I'm sorry did you say something, I didn't hear it.
    Yes, I said wow that must have been loud!

User Info Menu

George Benson is the reason I play guitar. The 1st time I heard George was when White Rabbit came out. Just his guitar tone alone blew my mind not to mention his playing. A week later I was in my local music store buying a cheap acoustic. The best concert I ever saw in my whole life was the CTI all stars at the Circle Star Theater. George, Freddie H, Stanley T, Hubart L, Herbie H, Ron C etc...and George stole the show....and Joe D. he was playing a Gibson JS through a twin reverb. George Benson is the reason I cut the rope on rock and jumped onto the Jazz boat.

User Info Menu

benson recorded a jazz guitar album for muse records a while back but did not want to put it out under his name because of the marketing confusion over his brand and how it would effect his pop-music fans. Apparently, after the album was recorded, muse refused to put it out if he didn't use his real name so the music is sitting somewhere and I can't imagine it'll ever get released during his lifetime. One can only hope...

User Info Menu

My 2 cents: The 12AY7 and neos make sense, and 51 pounds is better, but still a bit much for me. But hey, if you can haul the freight, have fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedSpoon
    My 2 cents: The 12AY7 and neos make sense, and 51 pounds is better, but still a bit much for me. But hey, if you can haul the freight, have fun!
    When I crewed on a Yes tour when I started I was looking at all the Anvil cases, they were color coded by what they were for red was guitar, orange drums, etc. I spot this odd shaped anvil case in guitar red anvil case and try to move it and it weighted a ton. I open the case it two Twin Reverb's with JBL's, those were the emergency backup amps for general use. Talk about one heavy mofo case. Luckly then never got called to duty on the tour I worked.

FWIW it was a long time ago so I don't remember models and the picture I have is too dark to tell. But Howe was using two silver face Fender amps and grill cloth changed to black so not distracting. One was a head and maybe a 2x12 cab other was like a Super maybe a Twin. Squire had a couple Marshall half-stacks.

User Info Menu

Shoot even my Henriksen is getting heavy to me. Sucks getting old. My twin never leaves the house anymore. I just did a tube tune up on it and lifting it onto the workbench was about as far as I wanted to carry it. Years ago I played with a drummer named Ram. He would carry 2 twin's for us like a couple of brief cases. Nothing tops a twin in sound IMO but you need a pack mule like good old Ram was. :-) I think I would really like a Mambo though I never personally heard one.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

good stuff..lotsa real and good info right there..for a commercial!!...and george plays

nice

cheers

ps- btw, the better headroom is cause they subbed 12ay7 tube for 12ax7

User Info Menu

Bottom line - Fender amps are iconic for a reason.

User Info Menu

Yup, can't beat a Fender amp. I noticed the F holes taped over on his guitar, I'm wondering why he doesn't ask Ibanez to gen one up with a solid top?

Has that ever been done on a fully hollow guitar with electronics passed through the jack plate like the Les Paul Supreme?

User Info Menu

When I played my Epi Regent, I was partial to blue low tack masking tape. Kept a roll in my case.

User Info Menu

I've been on (another) Wes kick lately, love him and everything he plays. But truth be told I am not crazy about his tone and the whole thumb thing . I have to say, I thing George gets a better tone with his thumb. Perhaps 50 years recording technology is partly responsible, whatever, but there, I said it; I like George's thumb more than Wes's.
    Hope I'm still a member here!

User Info Menu

where's the reverb?