The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I played a used Legrand at Guitar Center and had really high hopes as it being such an expensive Gibson. The unplugged sound was okay but nothing special, then when I plugged it in I was really disapointed. The main thing it did was make me really appreciate my 1966 es125c as to my ears it hands down sounded a million times better than that Legrand. Hopefully the one I played was a dud because I expected so much more. Anyone else been let down by a really high end guitar?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Depends on what you are expecting. When I was 22, I badly wanted to get the sound of a 175/Polytone rig. I had the chance to buy a L5CES, a Guild Artist Award, and a Super 400 for reasonable prices. They all sounded non-175-like to me. I ultimately bought a 175 (and a 125) and was very happy. Today, I would choose differently.

the LeGrand will sound quite different from a 125/175. The latter will sound smoky and jazzy. The LeGrand will sound airier and more pianistic. It is also an exceptional jazz guitar, but with a different jazz voice. One thing: with skinny strings it will suck.

User Info Menu

I think part of it was the chromes that it was strung with, they always sound muddy on the heavy strings and tinny on the lights to me.

User Info Menu

There are plenty of expensive guitars that aren't tonally spectacular.

I spent the afternoon at Mandolin Bros years ago trying acoustics, some upwards of $18k new. A Santa Cruz 1929 OOO ($2900 used) and a pair of beat up 50s Martin OO's ($3-4k) were by far the liveliest.

I played a very famous collector's clean '58 Goldtop - probably a $110k guit at the time. Nothing special except the stress of making sure it was safe. But its price tag was more about collectibility than anything.

User Info Menu

By the time i bought my 1998 LeGrand (second hand) i had tried out 4 of them over a time span of about 3 years. It was to my ears the best sounding of them, the others didn't impress me much.

User Info Menu

I have often been let down by high end guitars, but that may be due to unrealistic expectations. When I play them, I still sound like me! That's the problem!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I have often been let down by high end guitars, but that may be due to unrealistic expectations. When I play them, I still sound like me! That's the problem!
    and I'm sure that's a good thing Cunamara.

User Info Menu

What kind of amp did you try it with?

I've always enjoyed the acoustic sound of my Le Grand ... especially after I swapped out the metal bridge for an ebony bridge

but finding the right amp has always been a challenge

It sounds quite good in a Roland Cube, Henriksen, and a Deluxe Reverb Reissue

I have a Carr Rambler which is supposed to be one of the great tube amps out there .. and the Carr sounds great with a strat, but the Le Grand sounds thin and tinny through the Carr

I've also enjoyed Thomastik flats on my Le Grand ....

Sometimes it takes the right amp to bring out the magic in a guitar

I'd give it a few more tries in different amps before writing it off completely

Then again I have to wonder of the Guitar Center folks know how to set up a Le Grand anyways

just my .02

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara

isn't there a pedal to fix that?

User Info Menu

If it was this guitar I bet it would sound great with a set of TI Bebop round 14's...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Used Gibson 1996 Le Grande | Guitar Center
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 12-31-2015 at 05:16 AM.

User Info Menu

I played it through a fender Blues Deluxe on the clean channel with the eq mostly flat adjusted to taste and a bit of reverb. The amp sounded okay not my cup of tea but it was the closest thing to something decent my local Guitar Center had.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    If it was this guitar I bet it would sound great with a set of TI Bebop round 14's...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

14's!! Jesus man, your hands must be bigger than the mighty Tal's himself

User Info Menu

Be happy you haven't been bitten by the hand carved archtop bug yet. It's a very expensive cure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanfan424
    I think part of it was the chromes that it was strung with, they always sound muddy on the heavy strings and tinny on the lights to me.
    I can see your point about Chromes - the ( sometimes ) chimey highs and mud lows....although I still like them on my L4CES, and, believe it or not, my '30's L-7.

FWIW, due to recent discussions here, ( thx again) I've just gone from 12-52 Chromes to 12-52 Half Rounds on my acoustic L-7. I am guessing the E & A are still the same strings ( right ? ), but the response top-to-bottom is more even...I can hear what I want to hear, and there's some bottom to it too !!...so far......

My suggestion - -if you like the guitar, and would have it, have them string Half Rounds on it, if they will, and go from there. I would not worry about the amp at all. You did the right thing w/ clean channel etc etc.

But as I found out in a recent L-5 acoustic vs WesMo vs L-5 w/ BJB, ( at Dave's ), * all new * they are just not as loud acoustically as I guess we expect.

And the suggestion ( again here ) of smoothing the halfrounds with steelwool also works, so don't worry about that ( string squeak ) either.

And doesn't Danny W here have one for sale ? Maybe - -

Good luck and hope this helps.
    Dennis

User Info Menu

Yeah .... if you tried the Le Grand at the Phoenix GC .... then Danny W is in your area and is selling a beautiful blond Le Grand

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/sale/...e-natural.html

I'm a three hour drive from Phoenix

You might be able to arrange a try out with Danny's favorite amps and someone who knows how to get the sounds you are after

If Danny can't make you happy with his Le Grand then it may not be the guitar for you

Good Luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanfan424
    I played a used Legrand at Guitar Center and had really high hopes as it being such an expensive Gibson. The unplugged sound was okay but nothing special, then when I plugged it in I was really disapointed. The main thing it did was make me really appreciate my 1966 es125c as to my ears it hands down sounded a million times better than that Legrand. Hopefully the one I played was a dud because I expected so much more. Anyone else been let down by a really high end guitar?
    Maybe that's why it was traded in to GC!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Maybe that's why it was traded in to GC!>
    I agree with Woody sound. Not all fine arch top sound as nice as we expect them to. You are coming from a small body laminate electric to a carved big body acoustic, Thats a big change in tone. Other huge reasons for a poor sound are age and amount of play time. Some carved guitars take years to open up. All these collectors want mint pieces. But those mint pieces may sound like crap because they haven't been loved. Aged is better. Not condition.

User Info Menu

I actually am not in the market for one at this moment just had heard such great things and they had one so I gave it a go to see if it was my cup of tea. I really am super happy with my es125c at the moment but a hand carved archtop is on my list in the future. It was the guitar center in Mishawaka, IN for future reference and they had it priced at 8999.00 so I imagine it will get shipped off to another GC as high end stuff doesn't sell very well around here.

User Info Menu

And, just for reference, my Heritage JS (newer) sounded much better than my classic late 60's (older) JS. Go figure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    And, just for reference, my Heritage JS (newer) sounded much better than my classic late 60's (older) JS. Go figure.
    Isn't that like blasphemy around here!? J-Dub, cover your eyes!

Not surprised. Every Heritage acoustic I've owned, I've had a few, has had a decent amount of acoustic volume.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    What kind of amp did you try it with?

I've always enjoyed the acoustic sound of my Le Grand ... especially after I swapped out the metal bridge for an ebony bridge

but finding the right amp has always been a challenge

It sounds quite good in a Roland Cube, Henriksen, and a Deluxe Reverb Reissue

I have a Carr Rambler which is supposed to be one of the great tube amps out there .. and the Carr sounds great with a strat, but the Le Grand sounds thin and tinny through the Carr

I've also enjoyed Thomastik flats on my Le Grand ....

Sometimes it takes the right amp to bring out the magic in a guitar

I'd give it a few more tries in different amps before writing it off completely
    I think you hit the nail on the head. I do not think a Blues Deluxe would do a Le Grand any justice. I had the same experience with my Car Impala. Its as good as it gets with my solid body guitars, but doesn't cut the mustard with archtops.

User Info Menu

Isn't that like blasphemy around here!? J-Dub, cover your eyes!

Not surprised. Every Heritage acoustic I've owned, I've had a few, has had a decent amount of acoustic volume.
    ps - The neck was better too.