The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Is it my imagination or does this version have a thinner rim thickness than the stock version? BTW Why does looking at this guitar make my knees shake??

Hand-crafted by Gibson Custom with a view toward all the essentials of the finest archtop acoustic-electric guitars, the L-5 Doublecut has a carved Sitka spruce top matched to a back and sides made from highly figured maple, all rendered in a graceful double-cutaway body with a depth of 2 3/8. A five-ply maple and walnut neck is topped with a one-piece ebony fingerboard, while two Custom Bucker humbucking pickups purr with all the mellow warmth and defining clarity of the finest late-™50s PAFs.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBHSLCDC?siid=170775

Gibson L-5 Double Cut Electric Guitar Thin-Line??-8_full_left_front_10695-105ef00af9bb90c0ba6e4dd18eff711b-jpgGibson L-5 Double Cut Electric Guitar Thin-Line??-7_body_left_front_10695-a8dc0ce2aada8abe1d17d72b5becad3a-jpg
    Gibson L-5 Double Cut Electric Guitar Thin-Line??-8_full_left_front_11145-67bba298b2c3c7b5332b409502ebec9e-jpg
    Last edited by Wildcat; 12-30-2015 at 01:12 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

and mine

totally crazy looking thing

its the same thickness as the L5 CT is it not?

User Info Menu

Its quite the odd looking duck if you ask me!! I just dont see a market for it, but thats just me. Bob
    Last edited by Top of the Arch!; 12-30-2015 at 04:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad
    and mine

totally crazy looking thing

its the same thickness as the L5 CT is it not?
    double-cutaway body with a depth of 2 3/8.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Top of the Arch!
    Its quite the odd looking duck if you ask me!! I just don't see a market for it, but thats just me. Bob
    You're right and you're wrong!

I don't think many would sell. But I wish someone would give me one. They look like a blast to play.

If you're going through all the trouble of a double cutaway, it would make sense to taper the heel more for better upper fret access.

User Info Menu

Well I guess if someone gave me one I might like it a bit more. Bob

User Info Menu

Heck, I'd like one. Very Gretsch-like looking L-5.

User Info Menu

why are the selector switches mounted like a 175?

User Info Menu

Winter moon,

Like I said, very Gretsch.

User Info Menu

Great looking archtop, but it makes me do a double-take, and a few minutes to warm up to it being an 'L5'.

It reminds me of a similar custom, one-off that Heritage did, also a beautiful instrument.

User Info Menu

it looks odd to me, but then again if double cuts were the norm since 1939, single cutaways would seem odd today.

User Info Menu

Can't you just see some guy begging them to put a Bigsby on that bad boy ??

User Info Menu

Looks a little like a combination of a 1970s ES-150, ES-330 and L5.

User Info Menu

To bad they didn't do it as Florentine Double Cut like a Kessel. I think the toggle switch makes better sense where it is, than moving it to the lower cutaway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass

If you're going through all the trouble of a double cutaway, it would make sense to taper the heel more for better upper fret access.

I agree Marty.

To me a double cut like a 335 has remarkable upper fret access. Part of that is due to the heel that allows you to keep your LH thumb in the usual fretting position. It's a shame they did the L5 dub cut like that. But yeah, if you can't sell them Gibson, just put one in the post for me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Looks a little like a combination of a 1970s ES-150, ES-330 and L5.
    ES-335 on steroids to me.