The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 276

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    But Lurpak butter is pretty damn good! So, Danish dairy cows all the way.
    Our bacon cows are not bad, either. Oink-oink

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

this thread has taken a meaty turn

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    I'm not so sure of that, Jabber. Given the absense of frigidaires and given the general horrible hygiejnic conditions in Copenhagen at Kirkegaards time, the consequenses of eating a "well hung" beef may well have been the same as being hung by the neck. For safety reasons, most people boiled their meat for hours at that time. Also, most everyday meat was either smoked or salted. Frying was only used by rich people who could get supplies of meat which was guarantied to be fresh. Ordinary people only got fresh meat at Christmas when their pork was slaughtered. I think the concept of a well hung red and tender beef is a later phenomenon.
    Wasn't a "well hung" side of beef usually smoked or salted anyways? Especially back in the bad ole days.

User Info Menu

A well-hung side of beef is aged i.e. left to rot agreeably. Somewhat akin to how cheese is actually rancid milk.

User Info Menu

aren't we supposed to hang guitars and not beef ;-)

User Info Menu

Crossed wires. Like my Aussie mate:

archtop.com-_86825585_phucdatbich-jpg

User Info Menu

^ C'mon... that's real??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    ^ C'mon... that's real??

what, an Asian can't be from Australia?

User Info Menu

I wonder how are European names translate into Asian culture's slang?

User Info Menu

Some European names don't even do so well in English!

archtop.com-image-jpg

User Info Menu

For those of you who don't speak German,

bitte, nicht so schnell means "please, not so fast" which makes the sign that much funnier!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    ^ C'mon... that's real??
    Not really...Vietnamese name man admits hoax in Facebook battle - BBC News .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dortmundjazzguitar
    while archtops did not really make a good case for himself, i'm not to sure whether a direct competitor should make such comments, how founded they may be?

Selling Your Guitar? ? Archtop Heaven

(unless this is a different guy, in which case i apologize)

Thats very cynical of you. I am a member here first and foremost. I have had direct and anecdotal evidence of the sellers behaviour. Nothing is being made up here.

The reality is some sellers don't make enough money to do what this guy does because we don't get involved in shady deals in order to pay the bills. Some of us are happy to cover shipping both ways if we make a mistake and not dump it on the buyer because we couldn't slip something past them. And some of us, dont like to see if happen to others especially when going through such pains ourselves and hardship to not do it.

Besides I'm small fry, this is more of a hobby and something I do to build up a collection of pictures of archtops, which is my real passion. I am not in competition with Archtop.com at all but thanks for the compliment I guess.

I always speak out on this forum on the side of me/us the members. I do sell guitars but 99% through ebay or Gumtree (local site) and always for more than I advertise on here, even after fees. I have almost no financial upside to selling through here.

I speak here always first and foremost as a member, please don't get that confused. I am archtop heaven because I am passionate about archtops coming from a players side first. This is an archtop forum, where else would I be?

Last edited by Archie; 01-15-2016 at 09:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Archie,
    For a little while you were not making too many appearances here. You were sorely missed. And as you know, I reached out to you offline and told you that. We insist that you never take a break from us again. You have a classy way of standing your ground and speaking to what you believe in.
    You are one of our cherished members here at the barber shop, Archie.
    JD

User Info Menu

Two Marketing adages:

1. "A satisfied customer tells five of his friends. A dissatisfied customer tells everyone who will listen."

2. "You cannot afford the luxury of a single dissatisfied client."

These sayings are "ancient wisdom" and may date back to the days when the Phoenicians plied their trade on the Mediterranean (I just checked and damn if I didn't spell that right!).

I believe so strongly in this emphasis on "Customer Sat" that I would be reticent to do business with a vendor who had a significant number of dissatisfied clients.

User Info Menu

FWIW
    I have bought and sold a few guitars (Byrdland, L-5, Holst) from Joe Vinikow at archtop.com and I've always found him very professional and honest. If you ask the right questions, he will tell you straight. Sure when buying guitars you may pay a bit more but the guy is in business to make money so I understand he has to mark em up. The main point is, he stands behind them. I've had good success with making lower offers thru him on consignments to get more attractive buys. He's a lot better than buying on ebay or reverb where I've come across some real idiots. In my humble opinion, if you're gonna buy a guitar sight unseen, it's best to rely on someone who's been around for a while (and will be there later).
    I will buy from archtop.com again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Archie,
    For a little while you were not making too many appearances here. You were sorely missed. And as you know, I reached out to you offline and told you that. We insist that you never take a break from us again. You have a classy way of standing your ground and speaking to what you believe in.
    You are one of our cherished members here at the barber shop, Archie.
    JD

Thanks Joe, you are too kind.

Probably as the most recent recipient of poor behaviour by Archtop.com I have been a little too aggressive towards them. I don't wanna get anyones back up and I think I've over made my point.

It is impressive to see people making their living selling archtops, I know what a grind that must be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gibsonhead
    If you ask the right questions, he will tell you straight.
    Therein lies the crux of the problem.

User Info Menu

^I picked up on that, too.

dortmundjazzguitar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Thats very cynical of you. I am a member here first and foremost. I have had direct and anecdotal evidence of the sellers behaviour. Nothing is being made up here.

The reality is some sellers don't make enough money to do what this guy does because we don't get involved in shady deals in order to pay the bills. Some of us are happy to cover shipping both ways if we make a mistake and not dump it on the buyer because we couldn't slip something past them. And some of us, dont like to see if happen to others especially when going through such pains ourselves and hardship to not do it.

Besides I'm small fry, this is more of a hobby and something I do to build up a collection of pictures of archtops, which is my real passion. I am not in competition with Archtop.com at all but thanks for the compliment I guess.

I always speak out on this forum on the side of me/us the members. I do sell guitars but 99% through ebay or Gumtree (local site) and always for more than I advertise on here, even after fees. I have almost no financial upside to selling through here.

I speak here always first and foremost as a member, please don't get that confused. I am archtop heaven because I am passionate about archtops coming from a players side first. This is an archtop forum, where else would I be?

yes, i'm a cynic. just the other day i got an unsolicited PM by a guy telling me about his mediocre shopping experience with archtop.com, and compared it to his great experience with - you guessed it - archtopheaven...
    Last edited by dortmundjazzguitar; 01-16-2016 at 10:08 AM.

User Info Menu

JD.
    I don't need a haircut right now, I'm done & out of here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dortmundjazzguitar
    yes, i'm a cynic. just the other day i got an unsolicited PM of a guy telling me about his mediocre shopping experience with achtop.com, and compared it to his great experience with - you guessed it - archtopheaven...
    I spent over thirty years in product Marketing on the applications software side of the microcomputer industry. I understand the function of Marketing and what an important contribution it makes toward the success of any company.

I must admit that it is my perception that every post submitted by you is Marketing oriented. I don't believe that I've ever read a post from you which disseminated information that was completely devoid of Marketing content. IMO, they are focused on "brand awareness".

I had a Marketing professor in graduate school who commented:

"Thoreau wrote that "if you build a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path to your door". This is not exactly true. The world must be made aware of the existence of the mousetrap, what makes it better and where they can buy one."

This quotation reminds me of your posts.

dortmundjazzguitar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz.fred
    I spent over thirty years in product Marketing on the applications software side of the microcomputer industry. I understand the function of Marketing and what an important contribution it makes toward the success of any company.

I must admit that it is my perception that every post submitted by you is Marketing oriented. I don't believe that I've ever read a post from you which disseminated information that was completely devoid of Marketing content. IMO, they are focused on "brand awareness".

I had a Marketing professor in graduate school who commented:

"Thoreau wrote that "if you build a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path to your door". This is not exactly true. The world must be made aware of the existence of the mousetrap, what makes it better and where they can buy one."

This quotation reminds me of your posts.
    surely you're not talking to me?

User Info Menu

No. Top of the Arch
    Last edited by jazz.fred; 01-19-2016 at 05:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    I had a great experience with John Reynolds from Golden Age Guitars who sold me a Korean New Yorker d'Angelico over the internet. I had previously heard of his good reputation, but who knows, maybe it was luck ....
    Not luck. John Reynolds is a great guy period. I have been dealing with him since his Mando bro. Years. Never a bad transaction. The guy is an angel.