Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

thoughts?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

yez!.. sheraton IIs go for that!

cheers

User Info Menu

If it sounds good and plays good why not.

User Info Menu

I have no idea, it's far away. Curious guitar. I like oddities.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Are you kidding? That's an awesome guitar!

User Info Menu

I'd pass. It is a Made in Korea jazzbox which is nothing like the original ones made by Gibson. The soundhole is too large and the cutaway looks odd. The pickup is a cheap floating Johnny Smith-style, not a floating full-sized humbucker nor a proper Johnny Smith.

Howard Roberts would have protested to have this associated with his name.

You can get a nice Ibanez AFJ91 for $550. https://reverb.com/item/1429453-iban...r-antique-fade

Is an Epiphone Howard Roberts worth 0?-1966-epiphone-howard-roberts-1-jpg

Postscript: The above is a 1966 Gibson-made Epiphone Howard Roberts Custom. Solid carved spruce top. Solid maple back and rim, neck. Ebony fretboard. 25.5" scale length. The closest one to this is the Gibson Howard Roberts Artist. Laminated maple. Solid maple neck. Ebony fretboard. 25.5" scale length. The Gibson Howard Roberts Custom* has a rosewood fretboard and a 24.75" scale length. Howard Roberts himself preferred a 25.5" scale length, and Golden Gate Bridge gauge cables for strings.

*This requires research as I have heard that the Gibson HR Custom came with the shorter scale length. The black 1966 Epiphone Howard Roberts shown in the photo is in my collection.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 12-27-2015 at 01:29 AM.

User Info Menu

no way! 500$!

Is an Epiphone Howard Roberts worth 0?-300px-hroberts2-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    no way! 500$!

Is an Epiphone Howard Roberts worth 0?-300px-hroberts2-jpg

cheers
    The one Howard Roberts is holding in the photo is the Gibson Howard Roberts Custom. https://www.archtop.com/ac_74-5hrc.html .

Way more than $500.

Just so there is no confusion, this is the FULL-SIZED ad:

Is an Epiphone Howard Roberts worth 0?-hrgib-jpg
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 12-27-2015 at 01:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Be informed:

1978 Gibson Howard Roberts Artist.

Attachment 26394

User Info Menu

All about Howard Roberts guitars that you want to know: http://utstat.utoronto.ca/mikevans/h...s/guitars.html .

User Info Menu

Hey Marwin, hope you had a great Christmas !.

Jabs is right, this is a Korean made approximation of the older USA built Epi/Gibson Howard Roberts, known as the HR-1, with some significant variation to the build spec.

I actually tried one of these out in a guitar shop back when they were available, I remember it being a far nicer instrument than the Emperor Regent which I had bought previously. Bottom line, these price level instruments by Epiphone vary tremendously, try it out or get a approval/return condition in the sale. I'd say at 550 USD (£370) the asking price is not unreasonable (provided it has no issues). I've seen them on sale with higher asking prices in the past.

Here's the Epi/Wiki page for the HR-1 model(bottom of page)
    Howard Roberts - The Unofficial Epiphone Wiki

BTW, the Epiphone Zephyr Regent (a mahogany back/sides ES-175 knock off) has become a bit of a hidden treasure among Jazz players, they pop up occasionally, worth keeping a look out for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    Is an Epi Howard Roberts worth $550? thoughts?
    Yes, I think so. Even in the States I think that one would fetch at least that, in Norway? I think it would be considered a steal.

The Korean Epi's were very well made. At worst owners go for a pup change, at best (like me) they leave them alone. I think Korean Epi's are (next to Ibanez) the best deal in guitars you can get.

User Info Menu

I got an Epiphone HR from the 60s from a Gibson employee. It was very similar to JW's. Ebony board, carved spruce top, multipiece maple neck, two pots.

I played that thing a lot and it was beautiful. But...

1. Feedback was very hard to control. I ended up putting a sound post in mine. Even then it was tough.

2. Acoustically it sounded good but not great.

The Gibson and later Epiphones were mostly laminates. That probably helped with feedback.

The model was canceled due to poor sales, which partly had to do with high costs from all of the labor making them.

The Ibanez copy seems like it should be the way to go if you want to capture the original concept of the guitar without spending a ton of money.

I traded my HR for a 1920s L5 with a McCarty pickup. That didn't solve my feedback problem, but it had a nicer sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    BTW, the Epiphone Zephyr Regent (a mahogany back/sides ES-175 knock off) has become a bit of a hidden treasure among Jazz players, they pop up occasionally, worth keeping a look out for.
    There's one on eBay right now. I just posted it in the For Sale section. I'm not associated with it at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I got an Epiphone HR from the 60s from a Gibson employee. ... I traded my HR for a 1920s L5 with a McCarty pickup. That didn't solve my feedback problem, but it had a nicer sound.
    Marty, Do you still own the '20s L5?

User Info Menu

There's no denying that HR was one cool dude back in the day...

I like that story from the Wrecking Crew movie how he walked out on Phil Spector after Spector kept pushing them hard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Marty, Do you still own the '20s L5?

No. I traded it for a Guild AA decades ago. Long story.

What I remembered about the L-5 was that it had a massive neck but a low action and a beautiful acoustic sound. The McCarty did hum. There was no cutaway, which was a minor disadvantage.

User Info Menu

I think most of those Epi s on Ebay are going for maybe $1,200 to 1,500 in good condition.. So a $500 in good condition is a sweet price!!