The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 169
    I am looking for a solid body guitar that is a really good at jazz.

Price isn't that much of an issue, but I don't want anything with P90 pickups.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have seen jazz played on virtually every guitar you can play. However, a pretty popular solidbody is a tele, particularly with a humbucker in the neck.

Well known Tele jazz players include Mike Stern, Ed Bickert, Ted Greene, and Bill Frissell. Our own Mr. Beaumont plays one, and has posted a very nice chord melody version of Autumn Leaves with it if you want to check it out. It can be found on the music portion of this forum.

I also have a tele with humbucker in the neck, and though I typically play either my Gibson ES 175, or Tal Farlow for jazz, I am able to get good tones out of the tele also. Good luck

I have hear that the fender jaguar was designed for jazz. I have seen footage of really early Joe pass playing on one. Has anybody tried one?

Solid Body Jazz Guitar-fender-jaguar-1964-jpg

User Info Menu

Hello:

Try Reverend Jetstream. I saw Marlango a year ago and guitarist David Gwynn used a Reverend Jetstream and it sound very Jazzy. You can see the guitar at
    ,(although this is not a very jazzy tune).

Tele is a very good option, and G&L are the best teles you could find. Welcome to G&L Guitars

Regards

User Info Menu

A Gibson SG with the neck humbucker on works excellent for very smooth jazz tones. It may be an unlikely candidate, but just give it a try.

Solid Body Jazz Guitar-gibson-sg-jpg

Jazzarian Guest
    My (limited edition korina model) SG wouldn't give any of my archtops a run for the money.

User Info Menu

I've seen Pat Martino playing a parker fly, he endorsed them one time.

ABRECROMBIE USES A SOLID BODY FOR JAZZ.ITS PROBABY CUSTOM MADE.

Joe Puma built his own solid body under the guidance of james daquisto.

JOE PASS RECORDED SOUNDS OF SYNANON USING A FENDER SOLID BOY, I BELIEVE IT WAS A JAZZMASTER. PLS CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG..OR WAS IT A JAGUAR? HE SOUNDED PRETTY GOOD.

User Info Menu

I've seen John Etheridge play a tele, I'll have to go to another of his gigs and try to see what pickups he's got,what a chore!!

User Info Menu

For solidbody jazz, i'd recommend a Les Paul and a Tele!

User Info Menu

My favorite is a Fender Telecaster but I also change up using my Strat, Les Paul or my Bluesbird SH-1 or P90.

Solid Body Jazz Guitar-fender-telecaster-jazz-jpg

User Info Menu

Oh man! You owe it to yourself to at least try a G&L ASAT Bluesboy, designed by Leo Fender. It's got the classic Tele body shape, with a G&L made MFD pickup in the bridge and a terrific Seth Lover Humbucker in the neck. This HB is said to be a copy of the original PAF.

G&L makes this guitar in the USA made version, and in their Tribute series, made in Asia with the same USA made electronics. Several people I know actually prefer the cheaper Tribute because of the faster neck. There is also a semi hollow version. I've played this guitar a lot, and love it.

Solid Body Jazz Guitar-gl-asat-bluesboy-jpg
    Last edited by LarryL; 02-26-2008 at 11:02 AM.

User Info Menu

I use telecaster with both single coil pickups. The amp matters. Fender Blues junior very clean tone.

User Info Menu

I just commissioned a Chris Forshage Ergonomic, which is a semi hollow. Here is a link of a youtube video and demo of one. I went black stain with double humbuckers, and a mahogany neck rather than maple.

Will string it up with .12 flats. Takes about 6 months, so mid to late July.

User Info Menu

A Custom Tele FMT HH would make a great solid body jazz guitar. It's equipped with Seymour Duncans ('59 neck and Pearly Gates bridge). It also has a coil tap switch allowing you single coil tone by pulling up the tone control.

User Info Menu

as us tele freaks like to say, leo got it right the first time.

User Info Menu

I'd love to hear what the new Taylor Solid Body sounds like in the hands of a good jazz player.

User Info Menu

Hi all man all guitars are good and sure different models and pickups sound different. But it just doesn't make that much of a difference what instrument you use. I have owned a fair cross section of the various styles out there from the semi hollow ES335 to the Fenders Tele and Strat.
    If the instrument is in good working order it can sound good the rest is up to your ears and your hands. Right now I just use an SG Faded cause it plays nice and sounds decent. The guitar isn't going to make me sound better if I don't play it well.

I was reading another topic about some videos up on youtube of Ed Bickert and figured I would post it.
    Ed Bickert Playing a stock looking Tele very nice now who wants to say you need to have an ES 175 or an Epiphone Emperor to play jazz...
    Last edited by Alan Kroeger; 03-26-2008 at 11:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, I'd have to agree, at least to some extent. I have a 335 copy but I don't necessarily believe it's a better guitar for jazz than my G&L or my Strat or even my flat top acoustics. Maybe I'd find that to be true if I played in a combo and had to fit the sound of my axe with the other instruments, not to mention the expectations of the other musicians and the audience. Noodling off by myself in my living room, though, it makes no difference whatsoever.

User Info Menu

I play a Parker Fly Classic for Jazz. I love blending the mag with the piezo. It gives a bit of acoustic edge to the tone. It also has the fastest neck in town. Did I mention it only weights 4 1/2 pounds. I scoffed at the Fly until I was forced to play my bandmate's Fly at a gig one night. I bought one a week later. I love my Es175 but I usually play my Fly at gigs.

Solid Body Jazz Guitar-parker-fly-classic-jpg

User Info Menu

My favorite Telecaster Styled guitar
    Carvin TL60
    Neck Through, 24 frets, a large variety of pickups choices

Love this neck joint

Since they are custom built they can be tailored to many possible configurations

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalo...php?model=tl60

Hi everybody, I think thaat a good solidbody jazz guitar is the Hagstrom Swede. Wonderful clean sound, low price. Whay ask for more?
    Enrico

User Info Menu

Hagstroms are sweet...the HL-550 is a nice semi...

Solid Body Jazz Guitar-hagstrom-hl550-jpg

User Info Menu

For solid body jazz guitar, I love my "Darkness" LP, my peacock elegant LP, then my tele (it has an original style neck p/up) and finally, my limited edition Deluxe Player's strat. In that order

User Info Menu

Hagstrom: I would love to try out one (or all that I could get my hands on). they sure look great.

does anyone else subscribe to Premier Guitar? They always seem to have solid-bodies somewhere in an article or ad, that loox like they are worth trying in the jazz realm.

I'm blessed with a tele with neck 'bucker, '91 Gibson Les Paul and a Gretsch Tennessee Rose wth flatwounds. Between 'em, I can usually get the jazz tone I'm after on any particular day. Of course, they aren't Benedetto, but I can live with that.
    Cheers, John