Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

pat martino - joyous lake

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

destinytot Guest

First heard (the fabulous) Barry Finnerty with The Crusaders

User Info Menu

Don't forget this guy, what's his name....

User Info Menu

Gary Burton Quartet Duster. 1967. With Larry Coryell. Great, seminal fusion guitar work.

User Info Menu

As far as more contemporary playing goes I'd suggest Scott Henderson. Anything he's done with his band Tribal tech is incredible (Scott Willis on fretless electric bass will blow your mind) but he's also played with Chick Corea and Joe Zawinul. He can shred but using a hip, intervallic type of approach. Some other players that can tap into that vein include Michael Landau, David Gilmour (no, not the guy from Pink Floyd), Allen Hinds, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vejesse
    David Gilmour (no, not the guy from Pink Floyd)
    In fact the name's actually written "Gilmore".

User Info Menu

My fave jazz/fusion band with a guitarist was the UK band IF, with Terry Smith on guitar.
    I went with my friends to see Black Sabbath in their first US performance at the Fillmore East, and IF opened for them.

I left that concert hating Black Sabbath, and loving IF. It turned out that the two leaders, Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith, were Melody Maker Jazz Poll Winners in the UK, so i became a jazz fan without knowing it.

Here's Terry Smith with IF back in the early 1970s:

User Info Menu

I would like to mention a fusion band from Japan which I like very much - Casiopea. Guitarist Issei Noro.
    If you have not heard any of their music, go to pandora.com and youtube.com and search for them.
    In particular, any of their Live Album are worth listening.
    I would say their style is more Pop-ish. However, their use of harmony are wonderful. Great solo always from any players in the band.

They had gone thru many players - drummer, bass, Keyboard - so I guess Issei Noro is the lead.
    Notable combination is: Akira Jimbo on Drums, Tetsuo Sakurai on Bass, and Minoru Mukaiya on Keyboard.
    I saw them live in Hong Kong once when I was in high school many years ago.

Current line up:
    CASIOPEA offical web

User Info Menu

Jan Akkerman!

Last edited by jads57; 12-28-2015 at 12:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Jan Akkerman is great!!! Thanks Jads57!

User Info Menu

The Fents with Ted Hall on guitar and Adam Holzman on keyboards. I used to see them live, Ted was great. First Offense and The Other Side are long out of print but I see they are on YouTube.

Last edited by MaxTwang; 12-28-2015 at 02:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Robbed Ford - The Inside Story. On the bluesy side of fusion.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Essential?

From another direction: Zappa
    Last edited by Bach5G; 12-28-2015 at 03:19 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

+1 to all of the above. For a little more Southern-fried fusion, try the Dixie Dregs. Steve Morse is one helluva guitarist--left music and became an airline pilot so he could actually make some money, before coming back in and playing for Kansas and Deep Purple, plus the occasional Dregs reunion.

I first saw the Dregs in Chattanooga at the now defunct Great Southern Music Hall, and used to see their Halloween show in Atlanta every year in the early 80's.

You talk about a FrankenTele, look at his...

Your Essential Jazz Guitar Fusion Albums ?-steve-morse-tele-body-970-80-jpg

User Info Menu

Larry Coryell Barefoot Boy

Gary Burton, Country Roads and Other Places

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    Essential?

From another direction: Zappa

My favorite Zappa: St. Etienne (from Jazz From Hell).