The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 71 of 71

User Info Menu

Thanks, Mark. I'm hoping for a religious experience...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    They just came in, and
    I feel like Martin Luther on the toilet seat!
    Thanks for telling me about these, Mark.

User Info Menu

Soo whereto get these best/cheapest for mainland Europe ?

User Info Menu

I'm sure Mark gets a lot of that.

User Info Menu

They just came in, and
    I feel like Martin Luther on the toilet seat!
    Thanks for telling me about these, Mark.
    You're welcome. Glad you like 'em so much. Me too. It's the biggest improvement to my playing since the electronic tuner!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    If you go the Monster Grips site---click link below---there is a button on the top called "Find A Retailer".
    I'm not sure where you are, but in Europe both Strings Direct and Rockware carry them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I'm sure Mark gets a lot of that.
    You'd be surprised how un-religious people who know me (in person) think I am. Including my own sweet mother.

User Info Menu

....Not to "sabotage" Monster's Grip's product...but I found this at Amazon, which might be a more cost efficient way to get some extra grip on your pick. May even be the same company...I dunno.

Robot Check

http://www.amazon.com/egrips-Anti-Sl...eywords=egrips

User Info Menu

Did you guys ever try taking something sharp, like say, a dart, and just carving some "X"'s in the sides of the pick?

I've been doing that since 1993 or so, learned it in a "Guitar World" column by the late great Darrell "Dimebag" Abbott. One of the single best pieces of advice I ever picked up from a guitar magazine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Did you guys ever try taking something sharp, like say, a dart, and just carving some "X"'s in the sides of the pick?

I've been doing that since 1993 or so, learned it in a "Guitar World" column by the late great Darrell "Dimebag" Abbott. One of the single best pieces of advice I ever picked up from a guitar magazine.
    I used to put hash marks on fender mediums with a razor blade. Works great but they got gunked up pretty fast and lost the effect

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wesmont17
    ....Not to "sabotage" Monster's Grip's product...but I found this at Amazon, which might be a more cost efficient way to get some extra grip on your pick. May even be the same company...I dunno.
    This wouldn't be cheaper---it's more grips buy many of them would not be good for picks, and if you look at the ones that would, you'd be getting two more grips for, what, thee more dollars? Not such a good deal. But if you have uses for the other ones, that's a different story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    I used to put hash marks on fender mediums with a razor blade. Works great but they got gunked up pretty fast and lost the effect
    Lol, digging out that gray "skin slime" is the most fun part!

User Info Menu

I have done that but it wasn't much help for me. I know it has worked for others. Some people take a drill and put a hole in a pick and that gives them a better grip. I tried that too---it didn't work either.

Monster Grips do. Especially good for use with Benson picking, as much of the pick is exposed and you're not gripping a lot of it anyway but you need to keep it "right there" and for me, that wasn't happening.

User Info Menu

Not only have I tried scratching up the pick in "X's" and other shapes/formations, ala J. McLaughlin, but have drilled holes in picks and bought a heavy duty hole punch tool like this: Monster Grips (silicone pick grips)-hole-punch-tool-png

The grips do increase picking accuracy and also feel more secure that they won't turn or shift while playing sweeps or trad. alt. picking IMO .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    This wouldn't be cheaper---it's more grips buy many of them would not be good for picks, and if you look at the ones that would, you'd be getting two more grips for, what, thee more dollars? Not such a good deal. But if you have uses for the other ones, that's a different story.

The egrips tape can but cut to any size u want, I even cut the remaining monster grips I have left, if I just need a little extra in a particular place on the pick. Unfortunately, I find the Monster Grips a little too small of a surface space...I need at least 2 on each pick...and preferably more (I use 346 shape picks).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    I ordered directly from monstergrips.com Wordwide shipping is $2.10, and it arrived in a few days here (Austria).

User Info Menu

These things worked great for a few days, but then they started getting more and more slippery, maybe due to accumulated sweat.
    I tried washing them with soap (Irish Spring), but it didn't help much.

User Info Menu

These things worked great for a few days, but then they started getting more and more slippery, maybe due to accumulated sweat.
    I tried washing them with soap (Irish Spring), but it didn't help much.
    It could be accumulated sweat. I'm not having that problem, but I've read that if one is, some non-moisturizing soap should get rid of the sweat residue and restore the grip's, er, grip. ;o) I think "tack" is the technical term.

User Info Menu

I wondered why this guy wouldn't shut up about picks and then grips. Now I see he's spun it into a thing where he's trying to profit off your interest. Pretty pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Toat
    I wondered why this guy wouldn't shut up about picks and then grips. Now I see he's spun it into a thing where he's trying to profit off your interest. Pretty pathetic.
    I guess you're talking about Mark. I personally find your entire tone offensive , not to mention your disregard for basic decencies like not talking about someone in third person , or completely dissociating by using terms like "this guy". We have a variety of different users who network, advertise their teaching, their music, sell instruments etc.

As far as I've ever seen, in five years, this is acceptable to a certain degree, especially considering the amount of help and contribution they make otherwise. He certainly fits the bill on all accounts there. You're going to piss off more people than me, going there. I don't even know who you are?
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 02-01-2016 at 08:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Toat
    "This guy" has been interested in picks and picking technique for decades now. I even bought a "stylus pick" back in the '80s. And picks with cork grips, picks with holes drilled in them, wooden picks, acrylic picks, metal picks, Jazz IIIs, Primetones, Black Ice, Clayton, Pro Plec, even the .38 Dunlop nylon picks Robert Conti includes in copies of his book / DVD "The Precision Technique." You name it, I tried it. I even paid for coaching from J. C. Stylles when I was trying to learn Benson picking and worked on picking exercises while enrolled in Jimmy Bruno's Guitar Workshop.

Why? Because my picking technique frustrated me and I was looking for help.

It turned out that Monster Grips made an immediate and dramatic difference. I'm thrilled about that and happy to share the news. Others have found them helpful, too, though still others have not. Their solution lies elsewhere; I wish them Godspeed finding it.

As for profit, it amounts to a dollar and seventy-nine cents. Less than a six-pack of Fender Mediums.