The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 319

User Info Menu

Just lovely! ... Btw what is your string choice here?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just lovely! ... Btw what is your string choice here?

on this Les Paul #920120 of 1968,I put usually D'Addario 10-52 sets.
    I will try soon D'Addario NYXL 1052

HB

User Info Menu

The 60's tribute model is weight relieved with P90's, so is very comfortable and articulate. Compared to a Les Paul Recording Reissue which is solid mahogany and weighs a ton. But those low impedance pickups are special.

User Info Menu

Anyone heard of this older model? Full "real" LP construction, 490R and 498T pickups, but plain wood grain, and bared down trim and finish. Might be a cheap way to get a feel for a real LP if someone was just curious. Came in brown or red.

Gibson LPJ 2013 Cherry Red Electric Guitar with gig bag | | Reverb

Using a Gibson Les Paul for Jazz-lpj-jpg

User Info Menu

I've got a Les Paul Junior Special in black that looks similar. Slab body, 490R and 498T pups. Very heavy, great tone. Definitely has that Les Paul feel - reminds me of my '69 Custom, gone but not forgotten. Sustain for days......................

User Info Menu

A redo of the Studio line, from what I've seen. Never played one. I imagine that like the Faded Studios, you can find killers and stinkers amongst 'em.

User Info Menu

I once had a play of black Les Paul with that 'faded' sort of finish... it rubbed off on my hands just from playing it for 15 mins or so. The guitar sounded good, but the finish was pretty lousy even for a 'cheap' Gibson.

User Info Menu

I know a couple guitarists that picked up these budget LPs when they came out, played and sounded right. Happy guys.

User Info Menu

I guess it's some sort of range of Les Paul Studio Fadded.
    As someone said, U can find crappy and good examples of models.
    No consistency.
    I wasn't particularly impressed with Studio Fadded.
    I liked pickups only. Loved Burstbuckers Pro.
    Rest of it .... Bad, compared to other guitars in price range.

But if it makes you happy, I think 650€ should be okey price.
    But my pal payed for his LPS Fadded, like triple of that so .....

User Info Menu

I saw one in a music shop; very attractive in cherry red.

User Info Menu

The "J" stands for Junior, not Jazz. I was very attracted to those in 2013, but eventually bought a slightly used Alpine White Studio for the same price. Same PU's, ebony fretboard. Alas, the expected tuxedo gigs didn't materialize, a major back operation forced me out from the band, and, regrettably, the Studio had to go. Today, I have an inexpensive Harley Benton LP clone as a test guitar, and like it a lot.

User Info Menu

Played a couple and know a couple guys who own them. Real rocker guitars and can get some great Texas blues out of them, too.

For a Les Paul I never found any that heavy. Prefer the P-90 ones myself.

User Info Menu

I ran across this video and thought of this thread. Jack McDuff in 1964 with George Benson. I didn't recognize him at first. Great jazz sound from a Les Paul.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Anyone heard of this older model? Full "real" LP construction, 490R and 498T pickups, but plain wood grain, and bared down trim and finish. Might be a cheap way to get a feel for a real LP if someone was just curious. Came in brown or red.

Gibson LPJ 2013 Cherry Red Electric Guitar with gig bag | | Reverb

Using a Gibson Les Paul for Jazz-lpj-jpg
    I have the 2013 SGJ with 490R/490T. I can get a nice 'jazz' tone from that.

User Info Menu

The one Les Paul I've owned that sounded great for jazz is this 2002 LP Supreme. It has a unique chambered body (maple/mahogany/maple) similar to the Heritage Millennium, giving it a bit more resonance and I swapped out the stock 490's in favor of SD Seth Lover pickups.

User Info Menu

When I was working with a loud modern jazz big band before the pandemic hit, I started to bring two guitars with me. A carved top, and a semi. I told the director, please let me know before you start a tune if you want me to take one, and I'll use the semi for that tune. No more feedback/woofing/howling issues on solos. Not much more hassle than switching from trumpet to flugel.

User Info Menu

Hey guys!

Anyone had an experience with a 1998 Gibson DC Standard? It crossed my path, and the seller accepts a Gretsch that I've been meaning to sell for a year or so for a reasonable price ($1200 + Gretsch).

Guitar is in near mint condition, OHSC, doesn't follow original tags but everything seems legit.

I played it and liked it, but anyone had more experience with this guitar for jazz and live tones?

Thanks!

(Not original photo, just for reference).
    Attached Images Attached Images Using a Gibson Les Paul for Jazz-img_8304-jpg 

User Info Menu

That is a beautiful guitar that will sound just like a Les Paul!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mcrombaldi
    Hey guys!

Anyone had an experience with a 1998 Gibson DC Standard? It crossed my path, and the seller accepts a Gretsch that I've been meaning to sell for a year or so for a reasonable price ($1200 + Gretsch).

Guitar is in near mint condition, OHSC, doesn't follow original tags but everything seems legit.

I played it and liked it, but anyone had more experience with this guitar for jazz and live tones?

Thanks!

(Not original photo, just for reference).
    That has a 24-fret neck, which means the neck pickup is pushed back about an inch from where it would be on a regular LP, 335, or 175. This results in a neck pickup tone that's markedly different. If you like it, cool. But if you expect it to sound like a regular LP standard or 335, it doesn't. I had the "Studio" version of that Les Paul (Studio DC) for a long time, which is basically same as the one you're asking about but plainer. Honestly, it did not have a good jazz sound because of the pickup placement, which is the reason I ultimately got rid of it. The longer neck and smaller, chambered body also make it noticeably head-heavy, which some people don't like.

User Info Menu

I've got a very cheap 7 string guitar which has got 24 frets, the neck pickup is placed a little bit farer than this model, it doesn't sound bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Anyone heard of this older model? Full "real" LP construction, 490R and 498T pickups, but plain wood grain, and bared down trim and finish. Might be a cheap way to get a feel for a real LP if someone was just curious. Came in brown or red.Gibson LPJ 2013 Cherry Red Electric Guitar with gig bag | | Reverb
    Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    I have the 2013 SGJ with 490R/490T. I can get a nice 'jazz' tone from that.
    Sometime after they were introduced as low-cost but full-featured models, Gibson retailers blew these out for only a few hundred dollars, IIRC. The 2014 versions had goofy commemorative 12th fret inlays, but the 2013 LPJ and SGJ versions are excellent platforms for modification and customization, because the finishes are very thin nitro, easy to spray over or remove. Here's one that started out as a 2013 SGJ. Still has the original nut!

Last edited by Hammertone; 11-04-2022 at 03:11 AM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=The Jazzworm;36350]Hi Folks!

Since it has an arched top and humbuckers, is a Les Paul type guitar any good for a traditional jazz tone (fat/warm enough)

A solid body carved top and a hollow carved top is a silly analogy.

User Info Menu

I told my LP not to play Jazz, but it never listens

User Info Menu

I believe that model is in the Smartwood series

User Info Menu

Dunno if anyone posted this already, as there are 11 pages so CBA reading them, surprised at how authentic the les Paul sounds.

,also, anyone got a view on the Epiphone Les Paul? My guess is that it would be just as good for da jazz as the more expensive Gibson.