The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 176 to 185 of 185

User Info Menu

Marc you hit the nail on the head bro.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think Joe will probably sit tight for a while and stop being such a baby and enjoy what he has.

My Heritage Johnny Smith was an incredible guitar (top 3 probably) and it had Johnny's autograph on the label. At $3,850, it was a bargain. I would buy another one. This time, with a Rose on the pickguard...
    My HDA is an amazing guitar (#2), second only to the D'Angelico.
    Says a lot about Heritage for sure.
    Maybe I am not critical enough or I don't know good from bad but I can honestly say, I've never played a bad jazz guitar. Ever. I still think my $360 Washburn J3 was amazing. And yes, there were a few (expensive) ones that I didn't bond with but all in all, they were great. I think I could easily conform to just about anything I've ever touched.
    Im easy..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    If Joe needs a Gibson Johnny Smith to complete his bucket list, I say go for it! My advice would be to hold out for one from the early 60's. They are the best I have played. And even if the Heritage Johnny Smith was made by the same guys, there were better woods available in the old days.

And if Joe never gets another guitar, I would say that he has done damn well and can be proud of both his guitar collection and his skill as a jazz guitarist.
    Marco, your advice has always been followed and has never let me down.. And as always, thank you for your nice words buddy.
    And I agree.. If for some reason I don't spring up out of bed tomorrow morning, I can truly say that I've been blessed.
    JD

User Info Menu

I think we all have been blessed. Some more than others but none the less all. If you have only 1 good Archtop guitar you are still very blessed IMO.

User Info Menu

Hey I've been reading the book, Acquired of the Angels. Great book. I have a question.
    Does anyone know who Jimmys silent partner was? I'd like to find out where he is buried a take a piss on his grave.
    Does anyone know?

User Info Menu

Bill Giesen

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Hey I've been reading the book, Acquired of the Angels. Great book. I have a question.
    Does anyone know who Jimmys silent partner was? I'd like to find out where he is buried a take a piss on his grave.
    Does anyone know?

User Info Menu

Damn, I don't know how I missed that in the whats in a name book.
    Good one, thanks JD

User Info Menu

According to the book, Acquired of Angels, an unnamed silent partner (who thanks to iim7 and the book "JDA, Master Builder, what's in a name") we now know as Bill Giesen, allegedly screwed Jimmy out of the major revenue generating portion of the business which was the strings. Perhaps Jimmy needed help with the business end of the company. But to cut him out completely is not cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    According to the book, Acquired of Angels, an unnamed silent partner (who thanks to iim7 and the book "JDA, Master Builder, what's in a name") we now know as Bill Giesen, allegedly screwed Jimmy out of the major revenue generating portion of the business which was the strings. Perhaps Jimmy needed help with the business end of the company. But to cut him out completely is not cool.
    I believe "Bill Giesen" to be William F. Giesen. I believe he lived until 1972 and died at the age of 57.

I believe this because if you look at a NYT obituary from 1964 you see:

Here is his high school graduation photo...(went to NYU)

This is his Mother's obit and note her maiden name "Demmerle". Next look at the Trademark application in 1968:

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 01-08-2016 at 05:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Aha! I see where the DeMerle strings name comes from..

Nice.