The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 62

User Info Menu

I was wondering. Other than Mike Stern, which other jazz artists use Dumble amps?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumble_Amplifiers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

none.
    jazz guitarists can't afford them.

User Info Menu

Here's Robben Ford playing one

Solo at 2:20, although it's (juicy, juicy)fusion. Sorry for those hopeful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    none.

Also Dumble amps aren't like buy a Fender or a Boogie each one is built specifically for the person who orders it, based on their playing style. So each one sounds a bit different and might not be a good match for someone else.

Bottom line they are too dam expensive especially for a Jazz guitarist. Then if a jazz guitarist in NYC it's a too big and heavy to lug around so want small gear or use the club's backline.
    Last edited by docbop; 12-10-2015 at 07:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Larry Carlton is a very well known Dumble player - though he's technically a musician vs a jazz player - he's been over 200 records or something like that.

This is one of my favorite jazz-based Dumble clips, though you could probably argue it's more progressive rock:

Dumbles have this clarity when distorting and spewing out overtones.

For straight ahead jazz, it's hard to beat a vintage Twin Reverb. A jazzer could do well with a Steel String Singer platform since those are designed to stay clean, but jazzers rarely need that much power.

User Info Menu

Some jazz guys play dumble inspired amps - like Vic Juris and Fuchs amps. I always heard dumbles as a "revised" blackface sound - less bass, sweeter treble and a lot more mids.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Some jazz guys play dumble inspired amps - like Vic Juris and Fuchs amps. I always heard dumbles as a "revised" blackface sound - less bass, sweeter treble and a lot more mids.
    The early Dumbles had preamps in the clean channel very similar to Blackface amps but that changed in the early 80s.

But, all Dumbles are different. Generations share a lot of commonalities but they aren't the same values everywhere. There are also many different models of Dumbles. The most well known - the ODS - has several main pre-amp and phase inverter topologies e.g. low plate Classic, Skyliner, Bluesmaster, Megaplex, etc. But then there's the ODR, Manzamp, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland.

none.
    That was good. I meant no disrespect by choking with laughter.

User Info Menu

If you want a dumble in a pedal you can consider two itslian pedals those are no expensive : I-ODS by I-SPIRA ( make also a good pickup ) and EDEN DRIVE by KOR PEDALS

User Info Menu

Corey Christiansen recently found a Dumble clone that he raves about, but I'm not sure who made it.

User Info Menu

Mark Whitflield; The Marksman CD. May have been recorded with a Dumble.

In my experience, the "Jazz" switch seem to act like an "Archtop" switch.

User Info Menu

none.
    A Dumble owner is someone who puts a $50,000 amp into a $500 car and drives 100 miles to a $50 gig. :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984

You could be describing the old Paul Rivera mod's he did before going to Fender then on his own. I had two a SF Super Reverb and later a BF Princeton. That Rivera mod Princeton is the only amp I really want back. Paul referred to his mod as "opening the window of sound" on a Fender. He cleaned the reverb and I think a couple cap' changes and then as an option put in six-position knob that had multiple voices to the sound. The one of the knob he made a push-pull, but I can't remember what it did (it was back in the 70's memory fading for me.) When done the amps were quiet, very clean, and smooth overdrive. Did had other mod's I had a Echoplex he cleaned up the circuitry on. What I wanted but never got was he had a mod for the original Roland Chorus pedal and cleaned up the circuit, but also made it a stereo chorus, and he added a knob it might of been a effect level knob. When I had him work on my stuff he had left Valley Arts and was working out of his garage he was also consulting to Fender. Larry Carlton and many of the studio guitarist were using Rivera mod'd Fenders and pedals then.

User Info Menu

Charlie Hunter played a Dumble clone for a little bit:

User Info Menu

saw larry carlton play
    10 odd years ago ....
    great night a lot of Dan tunes

spoke to LCs tech after when they were
    breaking it down ...

friendly guy ... I said how did L get all
    the different sounds he got that night

clean , singing , crunch all great sounds

he said its just Guitar ... into Dumble into 2x 12 cab
    (actually he had 2 dumbles main and a backup !)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    You could be describing the old Paul Rivera mod's he did before going to Fender then on his own. I had two a SF Super Reverb and later a BF Princeton. That Rivera mod Princeton is the only amp I really want back. Paul referred to his mod as "opening the window of sound" on a Fender. He cleaned the reverb and I think a couple cap' changes and then as an option put in six-position knob that had multiple voices to the sound. The one of the knob he made a push-pull, but I can't remember what it did (it was back in the 70's memory fading for me.) When done the amps were quiet, very clean, and smooth overdrive. Did had other mod's I had a Echoplex he cleaned up the circuitry on. What I wanted but never got was he had a mod for the original Roland Chorus pedal and cleaned up the circuit, but also made it a stereo chorus, and he added a knob it might of been a effect level knob. When I had him work on my stuff he had left Valley Arts and was working out of his garage he was also consulting to Fender. Larry Carlton and many of the studio guitarist were using Rivera mod'd Fenders and pedals then.
    True - in the late 70s early 80s guys like Rivera and Dumble (and Mesa Boogie) started to think about a new direction for the fender with two channels - a more hifi clean and a smooth overdrive. I never tried a Rivera or a Dumble but I liked all the early Boogies I played (and also the Two-Rock although it did not impressed me that much). Must have been good to be there to watch it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeyNow
    The early Dumbles had preamps in the clean channel very similar to Blackface amps but that changed in the early 80s.

But, all Dumbles are different. Generations share a lot of commonalities but they aren't the same values everywhere. There are also many different models of Dumbles. The most well known - the ODS - has several main pre-amp and phase inverter topologies e.g. low plate Classic, Skyliner, Bluesmaster, Megaplex, etc. But then there's the ODR, Manzamp, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland.
    It's true, I was referring to the sound that most cloners get their base for building models.

User Info Menu

Scofield also played Two Rock amps for a while. Apparently he loved Robben Ford's Dumble! Not sure if he still does it...

Interview: John Scofield - Taking It Slow

Also, Mike Stern uses a Dumble? Didn't know that!

User Info Menu

Henry Kaiser. Fast-forward to 4:00.

User Info Menu

I've never seen Mike Stern with a dumble. He has such a well-defined tone that I'm surprised that he would even consider it. Oz noy has been using to rock amplifiers for a while and they're very dumblish as well.

User Info Menu

I've never seen hm with a Dumble either. He used to play a Pearce many moons ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Henry Kaiser. Fast-forward to 4:00.

the classic nightmare vid!

& essential proof..that music comes from the mind not the gear

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    the classic nightmare vid!

& essential proof..that music comes from the mind not the gear

cheers
    There are 10 parts to it. Watch them all...if you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    I've never seen Mike Stern with a dumble. He has such a well-defined tone that I'm surprised that he would even consider it. Oz noy has been using to rock amplifiers for a while and they're very dumblish as well.
    I'll have to find that video from last week. I was very surprised myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    A Dumble owner is someone who puts a $50,000 amp into a $500 car and drives 100 miles to a $50 gig. :-)
    HILARIOUS.. that's COLD!!! Hey man, John Mayer rocks Dumbles big time. Oh, that's right.. he's not a jazz kat!
    Tell me this rig doesn't make you at least go hmmmm! It looks like overkill but his fans expect each hit to sound something like the original in exchange for him having extended soloing segments.