The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 62 of 62

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    ...Well I can't drink anymore and all the hotties were biker old ladies so wasn't going to stare at them...
    I love ya, doc.

I'm over the Dumble eeee-eeee-eeee tone. I hear the damn fusiony 80s in that tone. Gimme a good auld point to point wired Blackface Fender Twin or better yet, a good auld Fender Tweed Twin any day.

(If you're into that Dumble tone, the bang for the buck lies in a Ceriatone. The nicest copy I have plugged into is made by a Swedish dude who goes by Tommy Cougar. Owned by a local lawyer. But of course.)
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 12-14-2015 at 01:01 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    That's always been the truth that people want to ignore. I've been lucky because of the diversity of my background I've been around a lot of great musicians and seen first hand how they can used just about anything and with a few minutes of tweaky find a sound and play their ass off.

Then the inverse guys with the best gear made and it still doesn't help them play better, they are who they are.

Last the audience doesn't know or care. All an audience knows is that sounds irritating or that's too loud. Even your gear head buddy is only listening for a minute then the focus is on more beer and the hottie in the corner.

I went to a roadhouse to hear some buddies play last night they do old R&B and rock. Guitar player is one of those whose played 40 years and nothing flashy, but every note fits perfectly musically and feel. He also has a great tone, but ever gig different gear but same great tone. Last night he shows up with a more recent Peavey Delta Blues, and this DIY cross between a Tele, Jazzmaster body, and a P90, but full clear tone. Well I can't drink anymore and all the hotties were biker old ladies so wasn't going to stare at them. So I decide to focus on how guitarist with funky gear gets such a great tone and it truly is his hands. His volume and tone knobs weren't touched except at end of the set to put his guitar down, but his sound and dynamics were changing all night, his picking and where he picked was his volume and tone knobs. That playing that guitar with the wide open volume and tone that cheap Peavey woke up and sounded full with a bit of speaker distortion. The guy is one of the multitude of great old guitar players that really understand tasty soulfull playing and how to get great tone from any gear.

One of the most insightful posts I have read here in a very long time. Not that I will remember the gear part when I'm jonesing to pull the trigger on what I THINK is what will make me sound like Hendrix, or George Benson... LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    I've seen Mike and Larry both use these. This was for sale funnily enough it was my first ever amp and they are killin!

Doesn't Joshua Breakstone use the Yamaha amp?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm not sure but they are a bargain and sound killer.

User Info Menu

I played one recently and it sounded really good!

User Info Menu

I researched my comment about Pat Metheny using those Yamaha amps early on and discovered I was wrong. He used an Acoustic 134 Amp... thus my editing of my original post.

http://www.jazzguitar.be/guitar_rig_pat_metheny.html
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 12-14-2015 at 10:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm not sure but they are a bargain and sound killer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    I've seen Mike and Larry both use these. This was for sale funnily enough it was my first ever amp and they are killin!

When I used to go hear Robben Ford and what became the YellowJackets he was using a Yamaha G100-112 and it inspired me to get one. What a great amp I would miss it, but the one drawback is they weighted a ton. Robben had a EVM speaker and that really made it sing.

User Info Menu

I played a G100-212. Same thing but like a twin. Two 12s. I loved it. Played that for years before my Seymour Duncan and then Boogie Quad and then Fractal Axe Fx II.

User Info Menu

I think this one is a great Jazz amp (or at least my copy sounds great). But I think I'm the only person, besides the guy with the original, to have one.
    Attached Images Attached Images Dumble amps-manzamp-comparison-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    I think this one is a great Jazz amp (or at least my copy sounds great). But I think I'm the only person, besides the guy with the original, to have one.
    I was wondering if you were the same icr from theampgarage...I guess it's confirmed

Manzamp!

User Info Menu

I have been trying to stay away from there. I am overrun with amplifiers.

I realized I needed to be weaned from amp building when one week I started collecting notes and schematics for a TrainWreck, just because everyone else built one. I don't even know of any music I have ever heard or know of any guitarists that even play one.
    Last edited by icr; 01-04-2016 at 05:37 PM.