The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

Chip in guitar finish-wp_20151208_01_08_06_pro-jpgHi, today a nightmare came true... Can luthier hide it some way?
    Thank you for help.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Battle scars add mojo, now you can make up a story about arguing with a trumpet play over the change to <fill in the blank> and he threw a mute at you.

For money a luthier can fix anything.

The worst thing is it happened at home... How expensive is it going to be? Like 100$ or 500$, or maybe more? And can he make things even worse? I'm so angry... I've always been so careful...
    PS even jar jar is crying...
    Last edited by katamaranos; 12-07-2015 at 08:44 PM.

User Info Menu

All guitars die, but how many really lived?

I say wear it with pride.

or break stuff.....

User Info Menu

A good luthier can color match it close then drop fill it with lacquer and then level it so it will look pretty good / not perfect but close for around $150 or so. This type of repair takes around 3 weeks as it requires several coats of lacquer and a long dry time before leveling.

User Info Menu

It's no big deal guitars that are played get dings. Cost will depend in if you want just hide and seal the wood or do a repair. I would say a repair could get into color matching issue. I had a chunk taken out of the back of my 335's neck once and got it fixed becuase I could feel it when I played. It was about $100 to fill and finish and if you look close you can see the color isn't an exact match.

Ty guys. I have to get it fixed. This ding would remind me my stupidity to the end of my life... The next question is, whether I'm going to find such a professional in Poland...

User Info Menu

I am very sorry. I feel your pain. If you can't find a good luthier in Poland seek out a good furniture maker or a violin maker. I would need to get that repaired too. Good luck !

User Info Menu

There are many famous violin luthiers in Poland who are masters with varnish. You might try one of those folks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by katamaranos
    Ty guys. I have to get it fixed. This ding would remind me my stupidity to the end of my life... The next question is, whether I'm going to find such a professional in Poland...

I know a trick that a furniture saleslady showed me with 0000 steelwool........when you have a surface scratch on a hardwood floor, or a finished piece of wood, you dip the steelwool in warm - hot water and gently - gently - wipe it over the scratch in the direction of the grain.....Several times should be enough....then wipe it dry..this takes out the ' high sides ' of the scratches, and makes them pretty difficult to see..........I've done this and it works.....

.....but - - with a gouge like this it'll probably take a pro...but I agree with the other poster- - you should be able to find someone capable close to you.......

BUT - - and correct me anyone of this is wrong - -don't try to fill it in and / or add some color or something while you look for a luthier. You'll be adding something to the 'meat' of the wood that may have to be taken out.....and that wood isn't that thick to start with.......so, the less he has to take out - -if any - the better.......

Hope this helps and good luck !

User Info Menu

It should remind you of your stupidity to the end of your life! You should suffer like I did. You should wear the scar on your soul like I do. Don't bother to get it fixed. You can suffer with me just as you deserve, you careless, careless man!

Signed,

The Guitar

Last edited by Jonathan0996; 12-08-2015 at 12:08 AM.

Vejesse, could you recommend anyone?

Dennis, I'd rather leave it to someone else, otherwise it would be like performing self-surgery....

Jonathan, what's your story?

I'm also able to get to someone in Germany. I remember my former classical guitar teacher studied there and since then bought his instruments. I'll contact him. Maybe you guys know someone in Germany?
    EDIT: preferably in East Germany
    Last edited by katamaranos; 12-08-2015 at 04:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Looks like an Eastman with a Classic finish...? Those are really vulnerable and relic quickly. You may want to think about leaving it as is because if you have it repaired, it will probably not be the last time you'll have to pay a luthier to restore the appearance. As long as you did the damage yourself, I think it adds mojo. If it was the cat, well, get rid of the cat.

User Info Menu

I'm also able to get to someone in Germany. I remember my former classical guitar teacher studied there and since then bought his instruments. I'll contact him. Maybe you guys know someone in Germany?
    EDIT: preferably in East Germany
    For example: Home - Kuhlo Guitars

Drifter, you've got a good eye. It's an Eastman pisano. Just messaged Kuhlo. You've got some experiences with him?

User Info Menu

You could possibly try PM'ing forum member kris to see if he could recommend a Polish luthier/repairer.

Good idea, I surely will, but I have to consider my father lives in Germany, near Berlin. And I live near border (closer to berlin than to warsaw) so if I had knowledge about a good luthier in Berlin area, It would be easy.

User Info Menu

Jonathan, what's your story?
    I was just being a little silly. Please don't take offense. My view is that if you let these kinds of things make you crazy they will.

I hope you're able to get it repaired to your satisfaction. I've put lots of dings in lots of guitars over the years and I always cringe a little at first, but remember that it's just a guitar. Play the guitar, enjoy it, say something beautiful with it. There are so many more important things in life than a scratch in a guitar.

User Info Menu

If it was mine, I'd rub a little color in it just so it doesn't show so much & call it good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    I know a trick that a furniture saleslady showed me with 0000 steelwool........when you have a surface scratch on a hardwood floor, or a finished piece of wood, you dip the steelwool in warm - hot water and gently - gently - wipe it over the scratch in the direction of the grain.....Several times should be enough....then wipe it dry..this takes out the ' high sides ' of the scratches, and makes them pretty difficult to see..........I've done this and it works.....

.....but - - with a gouge like this it'll probably take a pro...but I agree with the other poster- - you should be able to find someone capable close to you.......

BUT - - and correct me anyone of this is wrong - -don't try to fill it in and / or add some color or something while you look for a luthier. You'll be adding something to the 'meat' of the wood that may have to be taken out.....and that wood isn't that thick to start with.......so, the less he has to take out - -if any - the better.......

Hope this helps and good luck !

You don't want to put water on bare wood - it will swell the wood and possibly raise the grain. The swelling could enlarge minor cracks.

User Info Menu

This thread opens the discussion as to what our guitars represent to us. To be clear on this, that gouge would bother me. But why? If the same thing happened to a guitar case or an amp, it wouldn't be as big a deal. Guitars are special for some symbolic reason.

My luthiers, who have a lot of common sense (maybe too much), would begin by asking why do you want to do anything about this scrape. It will not help or protect the guitar. It's just cosmetic.

Your trauma is into the wood. So the wood needs to be smoothed, the new finish needs to blend, and you need some clear coat over it if you want it fully restored. But how far do you really want to go? This is the crucial question.

You'll get the most "bang for your buck" coloring in the wood with a brownish marker. Beyond that, the cost rises steeply.

The sure way to restore the guitar is to fully refinish the top. The second best option is to sand the area and try to match the color with some local blending. That can be hard to be unapparent in the result. Drop filling is another option. That rarely is 100% effective in hiding the gash but can be very good.

Below are pix of my current project. This beautiful small hollowbody was strummed very hard by an excellent blues player. The overall condition of the instrument is excellent, but there are scrapes that go through the thin finish.

I asked the builder what he'd charge to repair the finish. His response was that he'd leave the marks there, that they look cool, and he's happy his guitars are played with passion. I pointed out that he gave me the wrong answer and that he should try again. He said he'd need to refinish the top and that would be $800.

I took it to my luthier and asked what he'd charge to refinish the top if I pulled off all of the hardware and put it back on when he was done. $120.

I removed everything and it is now in his shop. That was an easy decision for me.

User Info Menu

It looks slightly gouged. A matching wood colored marker and drop fill with lacquer. A decent luthier can fix it, no problem. less that a couple $100 US. No Worries.

It's a great skill to learn if you have a herd of guitars.

Steve

Marty Grass, isn't refinishing going to affect the sound?

User Info Menu

I bet a luther can do a great job of hiding that...and for what it's worth - I feel your pain.

On a side note, I bought/part ex-d a 64 ac50 vox for a Fender Nocaster relic a few years ago.
    I always thought the relic thing was a load of nonsense...but after getting the nocaster, I didn't find myself feeling precious about it and just used the thing, and let's face it that's what a guitar is for.

If it were my L5 I'd want it sorted - or you could play the hell out of it and get it all touched up should you ever wish to sell it.

I've contacted a repairer in my area, recommended by 2 of my former teachers. I'm going to meet him with the instrument on Thursday.