The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by katamaranos
    Drifter, you've got a good eye. It's an Eastman pisano. Just messaged Kuhlo. You've got some experiences with him?
    Mr. Kuhlo did an impeccable neck reset on my '67 Guild Starfire III. No finish work was involved though as the guitar is heavily reliced anyway. In addition, he is a very friendly and likeable guy while imho most Berlin based guitar repairmen are not. That said, I really don't think you have to come all the way to Berlin to have a finish damage repaired. I'm sure there are many qualified luthiers in your country / area to do the job. Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would just get a small container of wood stain that looks very similar and dab it on with a small brush, then add instrument lacquer via a brush, building up enough coats until the gouge is filled in. Then buff it out. It will be imperceptible except to the most eagle-eyed examiner.

I agree, a good skill to acquire if you own more than one guitar.

User Info Menu

What about repairing chips/gouges in plastic body binding? Can a chip be filled without cutting out and replacing a section of binding?
    Last edited by stringmaster; 12-08-2015 at 07:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Let's get down to brass tacks here. Is that a stuffed Jar Jar Binks in the OP?

User Info Menu

On the upside...at least you didn't crack it.

User Info Menu

Marty Grass, isn't refinishing going to affect the sound?
    Excellent point. The way I play there are two possible outcomes. I'll either sound the same or better.

To be serious, I don't think it will matter much. This is a thicker topped archtop. It's only about a year old. The lacquer was very thin to begin with and will be reapplied thinly. The same finish will be restored so there won't be as much sanding.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboy
    On the upside...at least you didn't crack it.
    At least the binding isn't cracking. (Something I've seen in cellos...long story.) At least the head didn't break. At least...

We've got a happy end. Local repairer in my area fixed it for 80 PLN (~20$). I'm satisfied with the result.
    Chip in guitar finish-wp_20151213_19_29_51_pro-jpg

User Info Menu

Fantastic !!! So glad you got your sweetie looking pretty again.

User Info Menu

Looks good!

User Info Menu

For the record...

Cracks and chips on respond well to super glue.

Super glue does not sink when drying whereas cellulose lacquer does. Cellulose needs many layers to fill out chips and scratches.

I did a colour fill on a chipped Ibanez once. All went well until the last drop fill reacted with the previous layer. That was a gouge out and start again.

Anyhoo, straight clear super glue over cracks to seal the wood is a cheap option. Trying to match tinted lacquer or to strip and re-spray is the costly option.

Chip in guitar finish-sdc10831-640x480-jpg
    Apply the super glue

Chip in guitar finish-sdc10846-640x480-jpg
    Get a fresh blade and turn the sharp edge over to form a scraper.
    The two bits of masking tape make a gauge to stop taking off the surrounding lacquer.

Chip in guitar finish-sdc10914-640x480-jpg
    All finished, sanded with 1400 wet and dry using water and a bar of soap, finally polished with metal polish.

No tints in the lacquer but now we have a scar/birth mark.

All for little coin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    All for little coin.
    I would call ~20$ "little coin".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EpiJazz
    I would call ~20$ "little coin".
    With these sort of finish repairs and re-sprays you pay for the skill and time of the individual.
    The super glue repair is fractional in comparison.

User Info Menu

I recommend Micromesh for finish repairs, it is one of those miracle products invented for this type of problem. It comes in sets with 9 different 'grits'. I say grits in quotes, because I don't think it's really grit in the sandpaper sense, but a microfiber of exact coarseness. Stewmac sells them, but I bought mine from a woodworking supply place, and online. They can be used wet or dry, and washed for reuse. There are plenty of youtube videos out there on how to use them to finish surface repairs on guitars. You use them in sequence from coarse to fine. Works great, after you've scraped excess lacquer or glue to near level.

You have to be very careful with some finishes because they can be thin in places and you don't want to rub thru to the wood.

User Info Menu

Ah, now I see why you have a scratch. Epic. Jar Jar put up a fight but you got the job done!