The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 129

User Info Menu

Any body here familiar with these Guitars and or the seller?

https://reverb.com/item/1178999-john...-1935-sunburst

And what would be fair prices for either? The Excel looks to have had some work done. They've been on for a couple of months now. The Style A looks pretty vintage. Uncle Guiseppe needs some assistance here.

Just some doing some homework in the event the one I really want doesn't materialize.

thanks, Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Paging Stringswinger...

User Info Menu

oh boy!

D'Angelico Style A. and Excel-twilightzone-jpg

a john D in joe D's hands gonna sound goo D! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Just checked my retirement account. Nope.

User Info Menu

Exactly the kind of guitars I would love to have. They both look gorgeous. Probably sound gorgeous too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Exactly the kind of guitars I would love to have. They both look gorgeous. Probably sound gorgeous too.

me too!..unfortunately i cant drive a guitar to trader joes to go shopping!!...haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    oh boy!

D'Angelico Style A. and Excel-twilightzone-jpg

a john D in joe D's hands gonna sound goo D! hah

cheers
    Neatomic,
    i don't know if I can afford this and keep much else for myself. But I might have to get this out of my system.
    My Heritage D'Angelico has changed my plans. It's such a pleasurable experience to play it. Maybe the real deal will be better? I can say this.. After playing the HDA, I have a couple of guitars that will go unplayed. So, what the hell..
    plus I want to build a nice cabinet to house the guitar in the perfect showcase environment. I don't want the case to be too big.
    Thanks, Joe D

User Info Menu

He has a video on YouTube playing the Excel Joe. It seems to be a complete redo.

User Info Menu

Joe,

Get either one of those guitars. The 30's DA's are very sweet sounding guitars. Think Eddie Lang, Carl Kress etc...

Cheers,

Marc

User Info Menu

Play it before you buy it. Not every D'Angelico is a great instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    He has a video on YouTube playing the Excel Joe. It seems to be a complete redo.
    AG, That is great info.
    thanks buddy. Joe D.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Joe,

Get either one of those guitars. The 30's DA's are very sweet sounding guitars. Think Eddie Lang, Carl Kress etc...

Cheers,

Marc
    Marco, I got your email. Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted.
    its great to have someone like you to confide in.
    thanks, Joe D

User Info Menu

you know joe D, i wish you nothing but the best with your quest..i get it completely..just make sure you get exactly what you want..the non cutaway archtop is a different beast..and there are beauties like this around as well...

https://reverb.com/item/1121411-camp...FcVffgod2QoJnw

best of luck..i believe whatever guitar falls into your hands will be played and treated (beyond) well..that makes me happy

honor the greats

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 12-06-2015 at 10:14 PM.

User Info Menu

John D'Angelico only made cutaway guitars because the market demanded it. He thought (correctly) that the acoustic archtop tone is best with a non-cut.

I have played many gigs with my non-cut DA's. There are plenty of notes within reach...

Mark Campellone makes some very nice guitars. But they are NOT D'Angelicos. I would bet that Mark would heartily agree with that assessment...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    AG, I can't find it. Can you direct me there?
    JD

User Info Menu

Why stop with those? Johnny Smith's own D'A is for sale:

https://reverb.com/item/415868-d-ang...l-1957-natural

Plus there are photos of an envelope from Johnny showing his street address in Colorado Springs. Turns out the house, a modest 3 BR ranch, is on the market for $200k. Why not go all out and own a piece of jazz real estate!?

I am not sure you're chasing a coherent dream here, Joe, or if it's just a whisper of a jazz guitar fantasy riding a unicorn near the end of a rainbow. I'm thinking those particular guitars won't do for you what your Heritage D'A has done. But such is the nature of the quest...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Why stop with those? Johnny Smith's own D'A is for sale:

https://reverb.com/item/415868-d-ang...l-1957-natural

Plus there are photos of an envelope from Johnny showing his street address in Colorado Springs. Turns out the house, a modest 3 BR ranch, is on the market for $200k. Why not go all out and own a piece of jazz real estate!?

I am not sure you're chasing a coherent dream here, Joe, or if it's just a whisper of a jazz guitar fantasy riding a unicorn near the end of a rainbow. I'm thinking those particular guitars won't do for you what your Heritage D'A has done. But such is the nature of the quest...
    Hey Roger, I'm not sure if that was an attempt at humor or are you making fun at me? If it was the later, I don't appreciate it at all. Please clarify.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That's the guitar? Holy &?@!.
    Ok, now this getting interesting.
    Thanks SS
    Last edited by Max405; 12-07-2015 at 09:47 AM.

User Info Menu

That is not either of the guitars that are for sale. Just an example of a non-cut DA in the hands of a master.

User Info Menu

These two guitars have been the subject of more than one thread here at JGF.

The last one I remember is here (September).
    Another from July is here.

I remember discussing them with someone where there was more info on them. Seems to me from the Sep thread that fws6 may have figured out something about them.

User Info Menu

Joe,

Talking to Frank about these guitars is a seriously good idea....

User Info Menu

much misinformation in the diehl guitar vid..and it can be seen as an abomination of d'angelicos craft to have a humbucker cut into a 30's arch..oh well..

cheers

User Info Menu

Neatomic,

The only thing Eddie has wrong in the video about his guitar is the carved top 175. Perhaps he had an L-4 that had a carved top and wrongly remembered it as a 175? Eddie is a jazz guitar legend (he toured and recorded in the 60's with Brother Jack McDuff and Sonny Stitt) and an archtop luthier of the highest caliber. I am pretty sure that he rigged that humbucker to be a floater on his guitar. Eddie did some work on my style A DA and he and I have discussed DA's at length.

Is there anything else you find objectionable in the video? Making accusations without backing them up won't win friends and influence neighbors....

User Info Menu

no intent to disparage....and yes on closer look..humbucker appears (hopefully) to be some sort of involved floating rig up...thankfully! hah..(not that i was accusing him of doing it!!)..tho i'd think some non reversible mods involved ie mounting holes in neck and reamed end jack ..

cheers