The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I don't think I ever seen an active thread devoted to this guitar. I know people are down on Gibson's quality but does anyone own one and is completely in love with this guitar? I understand it has a 15" body which to me is a tad more comfortable to play than the 16"body.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have them. The first release must have been (likely due to the bean counters at Gibson) a flop because sales were so slow the big box stores were discounting them heavily to clear their inventory it seemed like within a few months of its release. I bought the Custom (love the pearl inlay in the head on "customs") and it's a very righteous guitar.

It's not a 335 or Les Paul but somewhere in between, but one thing is for sure it's FAR more comfortable to hold than either and has all the sound you'd ever want from a solid/semi.

Then a local store had a great deal on a standard with P90's in a really nice triburst (for Gibson) and it followed me home :-)

It has all the same attributes as the custom with the punchy P90 vibe. Its only failing is two controls instead of the customary four. Of the two I like the custom better because I use all four controls.

So after this, Gibson bean counters must have been watching the re-sale demand of the Midtown models go crazy and they "re-issued" them. AFAIK the Midtown is first re-issue of a discontinued model within a year or two of it being discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I have them. The first release must have been (likely due to the bean counters at Gibson) a flop because sales were so slow the big box stores were discounting them heavily to clear their inventory it seemed like within a few months of its release. I bought the Custom (love the pearl inlay in the head on "customs") and it's a very righteous guitar.

It's not a 335 or Les Paul but somewhere in between, but one thing is for sure it's FAR more comfortable to hold than either and has all the sound you'd ever want from a solid/semi.

Then a local store had a great deal on a standard with P90's in a really nice triburst (for Gibson) and it followed me home :-)

It has all the same attributes as the custom with the punchy P90 vibe. Its only failing is two controls instead of the customary four. Of the two I like the custom better because I use all four controls.

So after this, Gibson bean counters must have been watching the re-sale demand of the Midtown models go crazy and they "re-issued" them. AFAIK the Midtown is first re-issue of a discontinued model within a year or two of it being discontinued.
    Good stuff Gary!

Are the G Force tuners all that they're cracked up to be? I quite like the idea of those tuners. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    Good stuff Gary!

Are the G Force tuners all that they're cracked up to be? I quite like the idea of those tuners. Thanks!
    Ha Haaa... I'm an oldster, the models I have never came with those hideous contraptions. Jeez, automatic motorcycles, automatic cars, auto robo tuners what's next? someone gonna figure out how to eat for us :-)

One good thing about those nightmares though, there are some pretty good deals on stripped out Les Pauls without those tuners and since they did not have to drill loles to secure them you can drill any size or location screw hole and it won't show holes! Gibson couldn't sell them (SURPRISE!!!) and they sold them to the stratosphere!

User Info Menu

I've got a Midtown Custom from the first run a couple of years ago. Great guitar.
    I keep shopping 335s thinking I need to get one at some point, but I have yet to find one I like better that the Midtown Custom. So I guess it's saving me a lot of money . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    I've got a Midtown Custom from the first run a couple of years ago. Great guitar.
    I keep shopping 335s thinking I need to get one at some point, but I have yet to find one I like better that the Midtown Custom. So I guess it's saving me a lot of money . . .
    Was yours the price they are now? I believe the standard is $1200 so the current custom must be more.

Midtown Custom. Black. This is one gorgeous guitar ( I just gotta call it ). To those that say Gibson fell off the map... I'm going to go check this out and see. Plus the price is "righter" than a Collings guitar which is even a multi millionaire will question it's price. I know I know!

Check this out. And check out the video.

Gibson Midtown Custom Electric Guitar Ebony | The Music Zoo

User Info Menu

Did Conti really say that first quote?

User Info Menu

I had a midtown custom and a standard. The custom had all the "custom" treatments for only $1800. I thought that's was the deal of the century. It was a great guitar. I wish I still had it. I sold it for around $1100 (idiot) and I regret that move. Playing that guitar between the 10th to 17th fret was just as easy as playing it between 5th and 7th. I wish I still had the guitar.
    Joe D

UPDATE:

I guess the new ones might not be as good as the older issues. This gentleman certainly isn't too over the moon in his review of his 2-13 purchase.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...tom/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Did Conti really say that first quote?

Yes he did. But like I told someone else on another thread, the quote while sounding like a blanket statement is actually aimed at musicians like myself. Guys who aren't formally trained and self taught (so to speak). After spending a year with his advanced DVDs, I went back and he was telling the truth (at least to me). It was infinitely easier to VISUALIZE and understand the music theory behind what I was playing because I had a framework upon which to digest the theory. I think it's in Jazz lines where he says that. It was an off the cuff statement but it rang true for me. He means well as a teacher.

User Info Menu

UPDATE:

I guess the new ones might not be as good as the older issues. This gentleman certainly isn't too over the moon in his review of his 2-13 purchase.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...tom/index.html
    I'm not sure what year the re-issues started. Gibson is not very forthcoming on feature changes/updates or years production started/ended. I suspect it's so they can keep a leg up on cloners using wrong dates? Dunno.

As far as sound goes, yup, the Custom has some powerful pups, more than a 335 and it is a bit brighter, but thet's why they make an EQ section on the amp, something the reviewer did not want to diddle with.

So, I guess you have to put things in perspective. Joe DeNisco who is a righteous player and a seasoned buyer wishes he did not sell his? Hmmm... I read a number of reviews where the previous owner had seller's remorse. That said, I don't buy a guitar I don't like I like the MTC quite a bit... no seller's remorse here!

I'm not sure what year the re-issues started. Gibson is not very forthcoming on feature changes/updates or years production started/ended. I suspect it's so they can keep a leg up on cloners using wrong dates? Dunno.

As far as sound goes, yup, the Custom has some powerful pups, more than a 335 and it is a bit brighter, but thet's why they make an EQ section on the amp, something the reviewer did not want to diddle with.

So, I guess you have to put things in perspective. Joe DeNisco who is a righteous player and a seasoned buyer wishes he did not sell his? Hmmm... I read a number of reviews where the previous owner had seller's remorse. That said, I don't buy a guitar I don't like I like the MTC quite a bit... no seller's remorse here!
    I'm definitely going to check this out. I have a Martin acoustic with that richlite fretboard synthetic fretboard which I understand is what they're using for the newer Customs. If it fits I'm going to take a whack at it!

I have them.
    I forgot to ask you. Can you please onfirm if the body is a 15" (Bout)? They don't list this on Gibson's site.
    Maybe slightly larger than the size of a 339?

User Info Menu

I forgot to ask you. Can you please onfirm if the body is a 15" (Bout)? They don't list this on Gibson's site.
    Maybe slightly larger than the size of a 339?
    Yeah, I wonder why some Gibson specs are sometimes elusive, and yes, the lower bout is 15" I do not have a 339 so you're on your own there. If you like the sound of the 339 you'll definitely like the Midtown.

Yeah, I wonder why some Gibson specs are sometimes elusive, and yes, the lower bout is 15" I do not have a 339 so you're on your own there. If you like the sound of the 339 you'll definitely like the Midtown.
    Thanks for the info! The music store I called has only one left in their system so I'll have to make a decision soon.

User Info Menu

I don't think I ever seen an active thread devoted to this guitar. I know people are down on Gibson's quality but does anyone own one and is completely in love with this guitar? I understand it has a 15" body which to me is a tad more comfortable to play than the 16"body.

Midtown Standard
    I was not aware of this guitar. I like it.

User Info Menu

I have a first release Custom with BurstBuckers.
    Really a sleeper, great sustain, attack and modern sounding, closer to my LP than the 335.
    Seen here with a 339, '86 335 Studio and a modded Epi Dot Studio (SD Jazz/JB).

A fine instrument and at a value price point, grab one........lol

Gibson Midtown Standard-4semis-jpg
    Last edited by Deng; 12-08-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deng
    I have a first release Custom with BurstBuckers.
    Really a sleeper, great sustain, attack and modern sounding, closer to my LP than the 335.
    Seen here with a 339, '86 335 Studio and a modded Epi Dot Studio (SD Jazz/JB).

A fine instrument and at a value price point, grab one........lol

Gibson Midtown Standard-4semis-jpg

Ferrari Red too? Siiiiiick!