The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 72

User Info Menu

The neck on my 2014 Gibson Tal Farlow is failing. The walnut strips are shrinking so much that all the lacquer is cracking and chipping off the walnut strips. The neck feels like it has 2 railroad tracks on it. It is shrinking so bad that their is even 2 deep lines now on the stinger veneer. Called Gibson and they said they will need to make a decision on it if they will warrant a repair. It is also developing a tail rise. Green wood ? Totally bummed. One of the nicest Tal's I have ever seen.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Sorry wasn't able to get a decent pic. Much worse than you can see on the pics.

User Info Menu

I've recently had experience with Gibson customer service and was pleasntly surprised. My 2013 l5 tailpiece was prematurely corroding so they sent me a new one. Sadly the old one had to be returned. Good luck with Gibson. I hope it turns out ok. Do you live in a hot / humid climate?

No I live in Calif. with perfect humidity year round.

User Info Menu

Big bummer! This really should not happen. I hope you will be compensated. Let them know that you have posted it here, it may help them deciding in your favour.

User Info Menu

Vin,
    I'm Sorry to hear that. Mine has the same issue. In exactly the same spot your picture shows. I didn't think mine was a big deal. But my lacquer is not chipping and I don't have a tailrise. Damn. Last thing you needed right now.
    I am hoping Gibson takes care of you.
    Joe D.
    PS, I am beginning to see why a lot of other people don't care for "shiny new things"..

User Info Menu

Vinny,

I hope (and indeed expect) that Gibson handles this suitably.

My, that is some beautiful maple on that neck.

Joe it is both walnut rails the whole neck. The heel is even worse. Like I said I wasn't able to get a real good pic. Don't have a good camera. Ipad pics. Neck was smooth as a babies bottom 6 months ago. Eveytime I pull it out of the case it has gotten worse. Can't see it but the center maple strip is quite a bit higher than the sides now.The walnut strips feel like sandpaper. It still plays fine with the tail rise but the neck needs to be sanded down and refinished at least. Being that it is Viceroy Brown it must be done by Gibson as no one else can match that color.

User Info Menu

That's definitely a symptom of overly dry wood OR wood that never got to adequately dry before being forced into a guitar. One wonders if the walnut strips get the same treatment as the major members (back, sides, top, neck). Is the humidity in your guitar case moist enough? It should be 40% at a minimum.

Sorry about your dilemma. Old guitars have tons of problems but fundamentally unstable wood is usually not one of them.

Humidity never drops below 45 where I live. Usually between 50-60.

User Info Menu

That sucks man! Good luck with Gibson Vinny!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Humidity never drops below 45 where I live. Usually between 50-60.
    I swear, I don't think some of these east coast guys have ever made it to the west coast of their own country.

User Info Menu

I've never lived in CA but have visited several times. Not enough empirical data to have a comprehensive understanding of practical, day to day humidity though. Sorry if I asked a dumb question.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I swear, I don't think some of these east coast guys have ever made it to the west coast of their own country.
    I know people in the northeast who have never been out of a three state region.

User Info Menu

A friend in the 70's had a Les Paul custom with a neck problem, he sent it in and they replaced it for him. That was then, this is now but if you send it in I'm pretty sure they will make good on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Vin,
    I'm Sorry to hear that. Mine has the same issue. In exactly the same spot your picture shows. I didn't think mine was a big deal. But my lacquer is not chipping and I don't have a tailrise. Damn. Last thing you needed right now.
    I am hoping Gibson takes care of you.
    Joe D.
    PS, I am beginning to see why a lot of other people don't care for "shiny new things"..
    What year is yours? Mine is 20 years old, and is stable... one reason I don't mind buying older gits.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    I've never lived in CA but have visited several times. Not enough empirical data to have a comprehensive understanding of practical, day to day humidity though. Sorry if I asked a dumb question.
    It's cool Roger. It's a big state with vastly different weather patterns but humidity was never an issue when I lived there...eons ago. Maybe global warming changed that?

User Info Menu

Walnut is an open grained wood and needs to be treated with pore filler prior to finishing. Maple is a closed grain wood and needs no fillers. It looks like the finish has sunken in to the open pore sections of the walnut. A predictable result of using no filler on the neck prior to finishing. When you use walnut, a filler is always needed before you finish. It seems like Gibson would know about this.

Matt good to hear from you. Are you still making archtops ?

User Info Menu

Lived in CA twice. Main things I noticed after the big gap in between: more traffic and more fires!

Humidity is just right, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cushman
    Walnut is an open grained wood and needs to be treated with pore filler prior to finishing. Maple is a closed grain wood and needs no fillers. It looks like the finish has sunken in to the open pore sections of the walnut. A predictable result of using no filler on the neck prior to finishing. When you use walnut, a filler is always needed before you finish. It seems like Gibson would know about this.
    I'm sure that "Gibson" know this, but maybe that wasn't done or at least done well. As I understand, that is also true with mahogany.

A friend of mine recently bought a Gibson 336 new. It developed a neck twist in a couple of months, presumably due to "wet" mahogany. Not only did Gibson replace the guitar promptly, they gave him one that had better looking maple.

The good news about new guitars is the warranty. The good news about 10 year old guitars is that the defects should have declared themselves by now.

I expect Gibson to treat you well, Vinny.

User Info Menu

I'd probably just overspray it with some more clear and buff it out.

User Info Menu

Bummer Vinny. One of mine took a shock on the headstock, laterally falling from leaning against a wall onto a concrete and tile floor, causing the lacquer to crack to the wood along the walnut and maple joint about 10" worth. C/A thin glue into the joint, and now drop filling lacquer into the void. My first finish repair job attempt. I've been reading like mad and taking my time.

I expect Gibson will come through, but, my thoughts are with you man. Good luck with it.

Also, I live in Western Washington state, my house is almost impossible to get humid enough in the winter. I keep my best guitars in my study and run a humidifier on high constantly, struggling to hover around 35%.

The guitar WAS in a gig-bag when it fell. I never did feel comfortable about gig-bags, but allowed myself to be talked into one. My mistake.

Steve
    Last edited by skykomishone; 12-04-2015 at 05:17 PM. Reason: more info

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Matt good to hear from you. Are you still making archtops ?
    Hi Vince. I am just getting started on 3 archtops right now. I have been experimenting on a extra light weight 6 string elec. to match up with a lightweight bass I built for myself. The bass weighs in at 5.5 lbs. I hope to get the guitar down to 4.5 lbs. So it looks like I will be busy for a while. It's great to hear from you. I hope everything works out for you with your guitar.

Seems I have bad luck with the Tal Farlow model though it is one of my all time favorites......thanks for the moral support gents.