The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 72 of 72

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Actually, my 1996 Tal Farlow has the shrinking nitro finish on the head around the crown and logo. It didn't affect me when I was buying it, or whilst playing it, though it may affect my heir when he sells it. He will probably be in here selling them:-)
    Well then, I guess that's not your problem. He should have chosen a better ancestor!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

2 thumbs up for Gibson !!! They just sent me a FedEx overnight label to ship the Tal Farlow back for repair or replacement. They were very pleasant to deal with and acted truly sorry and concerned. Quite a change from the Norlin days I remember. It really is a crying shame. This Tal is one of the nicest I have ever seen. The custom shop said it could be just bad walnut and a refinish may just yield the same problem again. They need to evaluate the walnut but they said it takes 3 months to build a Tal if that is what is needed to do. Anyway it turns out Gibson is doing me right and Vinny is a happy boy.

User Info Menu

Awesome news : class act Gibson

User Info Menu

That's great news. Any idea why it takes 3 months to build a TF?

Quote Originally Posted by HeyNow
    That's great news. Any idea why it takes 3 months to build a TF?
    Heck I have no idea what goes into building guitars but I know the nitro finish takes a long time. I think the Crimson custom shop is always very busy also.

User Info Menu

Great news Vinny. Gibson guitars forever!

User Info Menu

great news..tho i never doubted..like buyin a house made with pancake batter instead of mortar..builders responsible!

they suspect its not a finish issue..as i mentioned it wasn't.. good on them!

if nothin else you'll have a good guitar and a classic tale to tell!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    2 thumbs up for Gibson !!! They just sent me a FedEx overnight label to ship the Tal Farlow back for repair or replacement. They were very pleasant to deal with and acted truly sorry and concerned. Quite a change from the Norlin days I remember. It really is a crying shame. This Tal is one of the nicest I have ever seen. The custom shop said it could be just bad walnut and a refinish may just yield the same problem again. They need to evaluate the walnut but they said it takes 3 months to build a Tal if that is what is needed to do. Anyway it turns out Gibson is doing me right and Vinny is a happy boy.
    Vin, I hate that this happened to you.
    Its nice if you get a brand new Tal out of it, but I wish they could have pulled one out of the pipeline sooner for you. It just sucks that this keeps happening to one of the best guys around.
    And, damn that Tal was nice.
    JD

Thanks bud. A lot of times bummers turn into huge blessings down the road. Yes it was the most gorgeous Tal ever but my Harley buddies have always had a old saying: Chrome don't get you home.

User Info Menu

Vinny,
    I was informed that the Crimson Custom shop has only two employees there!
    it beggars belief.
    I think that everyone is happy that Gibson is doing the right thing for you and
    the outcome will be good.
    This should silence the knockers I hope.

Best,
    Alan

User Info Menu

Anybody catch the Vintage Viceroy Brown Tal Farlow displayed last night from the Arizona Musical Instrument Museum? It was during the Thursday night NFL broadcast during the Cardinals and Vikings broadcast. I'm sure it was a 60's model.

2b.....love your Super 4 !

User Info Menu

2b.....love your Super 4 !
    Thanks Mr. V!

Prettiest archtop I'll ever have owned!

IMO the only guitar that can outclass a Super 400 is a original D'Angelico New Yorker. 2b that sunburst is to die for.

User Info Menu

Just checking in. Happy to hear the good news, Vinny. Let the Gibson CS do its bit. I think you'll be pleased with the outcome.

Thanks Jabs !

User Info Menu

Hey Vin, I’m looking at buying a mint 2014 Tal from a reputable out of state seller.
    After your exp with a similar year Tal, would you pull the trigger on it? I suppose it’s had a few years to settle in, so hopefully it’s fine. I’ve actually never played a Tal, but love the design and the clips I’ve heard online. Seems like a cool bebop axe that’s pretty versatile...

The Tal Farlow is one of the best guitars on the Planet IMO. The walnut neck shrinkage is not year specific. I have a 2014 Super400, Byrdland, and L5P that are fine. I have a 2016 L5 Wesmo that had to go back to Gibson for the walnut shrinkage problem also. It happens within the first 1-2 years. Green wood IMO. Ask the dealer about it. If it is OK you are past the danger time zone. Great guitar !

User Info Menu

The Tal Farlow is one of the best guitars on the Planet IMO. The walnut neck shrinkage is not year specific. I have a 2014 Super400, Byrdland, and L5P that are fine. I have a 2016 L5 Wesmo that had to go back to Gibson for the walnut shrinkage problem also. It happens within the first 1-2 years. Green wood IMO. Ask the dealer about it. If it is OK you are past the danger time zone. Great guitar !
    Did I miss the post where you got the Tal back and it was perfect?

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Did I miss the post where you got the Tal back and it was perfect?
    Yes and they also polished the frets to a chrome like finish. Better than new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx

I think that everyone is happy that Gibson is doing the right thing for you and
    the outcome will be good.
    This should silence the knockers I hope.

Best, Alan
    I agree, Alan ! And it should indeed 'silence the knockers', but I'm pretty sure it won't.

Dennis

The neck is smoother than a baby’s bottom now. Perfect repair. Color match spot on and impossible to find any sign of a neck refinish. I love my Tal and of course the man himself.